How is this guy a Type A? Topic

<a style="color:black;" href="http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=3243548" target="_blank">Carlos Valentin</a>

I thought you had to be in the top 20% of players at your position in order to be a Type A FA. How is this  guy a Type A? I don't see how he could rank in the top 20% for any of the positions he played.
8/14/2013 10:50 PM
Dev chat

In the new update, almost all ovr ratings for starting pitchers went down. I have some starters rated 68 who win 15 games a year and deserve to be Type A/B free agents but are not. Are there any plans to fix this? (jabronidan - Hall of Famer - 9:55 PM)

No. Wins aren't as important as the component ratings (which derive OAV, SLG, BB/PA, etc.) The ratings are what drive everything, so they will continue to determine Type A/B status.

8/14/2013 11:32 PM
Basically, you 20% rule is on ratings.
8/14/2013 11:32 PM
I'm not surprised a bit that he is a type A.  I don't know when deciding who gets Type A/B status if it just goes by overall or if it breaks down their individual skill set (I know it divides it up by different groups) but I'd venture a guess that anyone w/ an 80 overall rating will be a type A when approaching free agency.

The good news for the previous owner, if he's willing to wait, that guy likely wont get signed early in free agency, but he will eventually get signed as a backup as his price drops so he will bring back the draft pick compensation.  Worst case he goes unsigned until the end of ST and his asking price falls to under $1 mil and you sign him as a nice bench player for 5 seasons at less than $1 mil per season.  I'd definently take him on in that role if I didn't have to give up my 1st round pick or if I had already signed a type A or 2 and signing this guy was going to cost me a 2nd or 3rd round pick later.
8/16/2013 1:48 PM
When I first saw this question, I guessed "yea, probably 82 OVR, 92 DUR, right?"  I was close.
8/16/2013 2:18 PM
Better question.. Why would anybody sign him to a 7.3M per year contract?
8/17/2013 11:25 PM
Indeed. Why do a lot of people do a lot of things?
8/17/2013 11:50 PM
Forget his ratings. Look at his stats. They are nowhere near what you would expect from an OVR 80 guy. But I guess it's his ratings that are determining his Type A status, cuz it sure ain't his stats. As taz said earlier, either get a comp pick or maybe sign him later when his price drops. He's still be a pretty effective utility guy.
8/20/2013 8:10 AM
You asked why he was Type A, kind of hard to forget his ratings when that's pretty much entirely what drives the decision.
8/20/2013 8:21 AM
How is this guy a Type A? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.