F$%# Addie Joss! Topic

Please do something about this Whatifsports.
In every league I'm in almost every single team( open or theme) has Addie Joss on their roster, it's frickin' ridiculous!
He is way way under priced for what he offers you and makes me not want to play this sim anymore just becuase I'm sick of facing the same pitcher over and over again.
I'd rather face Gibson, Koufax and Pedro Martinez before I see another Addie Joss. I just finished a 6 game stretch in one league where
I had to face him 6 straight times!

Should rename the site "WhatIfAddieJoss was cloned 1 million times" and be done with it.

thanks

8/16/2013 2:23 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I heard chuck Norris once batted against Addie joss. As the ball met the bat, time froze, and the ball and bat were vaporized
8/16/2013 2:58 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
What people don't realize is that 1908 Addie Joss is NOT invincible.  Here he is looking pretty mediocre as he loses a playoff game:

www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx

He even gave up a rare home run  Of course, that home run was hit by 1908 Addie Joss, so it's kind of a wash...  
8/16/2013 3:43 PM
They called him the "Human Hairpin" and he died at 31 from tuberculous.
He was Inducted into the HOF in 1978 and he looked like like he was completely wasted all the time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Addie_Joss_1910.jpg
8/16/2013 3:58 PM
Before Joss, there was Bob Caruthers, because the SIM underpriced pitchers who could hit.
Before Caruthers, there were a bunch of pitchers from 1894 because of the way the SIM priced normalization, and A+++++ range OFs.
Before the 1894 pitchers there was 1994 Greg Maddux when the Superman Long A strategy was in vogue.

It is, of course, true that WIS desperately needs to update the algorithm and the pricing.  But owners who play in OLs are hyperefficient, and it will only be a matter of weeks before the new equivalent of Joss is discovered and someone will be complaining about that.

They should probably commit to yearly pricing updates, but WIS has a massive tendency to overcorrect (notice what has happened to low PA catchers with A+ arms - now completely unusable), so one hopes they will be moderate in their next update.

And before someone suggests for the umpteenth time that WIS incorporate dynamic pricing, that discussion has been had here dozens of times over the years - it won't work.

Two better strategies:
-- Don't play OLs.  There are plenty of theme leagues that exclude Joss.
-- Beat him.  There is a really good thread by crazystengel if you search these forums that discusses the kind of team that will do very well against Joss and his ilk.
8/16/2013 6:21 PM
Decided to save you some work.  Here's the "how to beat Joss" thread.

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=440097&ThreadID=9500018#l_9500018
8/16/2013 6:24 PM
Posted by seraph621 on 8/16/2013 2:23:00 PM (view original):
Please do something about this Whatifsports.
In every league I'm in almost every single team( open or theme) has Addie Joss on their roster, it's frickin' ridiculous!
He is way way under priced for what he offers you and makes me not want to play this sim anymore just becuase I'm sick of facing the same pitcher over and over again.
I'd rather face Gibson, Koufax and Pedro Martinez before I see another Addie Joss. I just finished a 6 game stretch in one league where
I had to face him 6 straight times!

Should rename the site "WhatIfAddieJoss was cloned 1 million times" and be done with it.

thanks

seraph -

Don't know which leagues you're playing in - and I'm not saying he isn't used a lot - but '08 Joss is on 11.9% of OL rosters, meaning he's on an average of three teams per OL.  If you're talking about all iterations of Joss, the '07 and '05 are on less than 5%, or basically one team per OL.  Facing him six consecutive games?  I think that defines anomaly!
8/17/2013 2:37 PM
F$%# Addie Joss! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.