Sustaining Success--Budget Allocation Topic

I am in a world where my team has consistently been one of the top 2 or 3 in the league the past 5 seasons.  I have been trying to trade my older players and have a nice mix of young ML talent and veterans, and have been operating the last few years with 85 mil player payroll.

As I allocate my budget for the upcoming season, I am wondering if it makes sense to cut my HS/College scouting since I plan on signing one or two Type A free agents, and try to load up on international scouting and prospect payroll and hope to acquire young players that way?  I've never put a lot of money into HS/college scouting being that I am always picking at the end of the first round or losing my pick by signing Type A guys, so I'm not really sure how much talent would be available after the first round if I spend more money on HS/College scouting.

Sorry for rambling...basically just trying to figure out how it is best to allocate my budget to get some young players to avoid having to completely rebuild once my current players age

8/18/2013 4:44 PM
I'm sure many owners in your situation do just what you've proposed... if not even more radical measures, like punting the draft entirely.

Example, one guy in my world dropped 38 million on an IFA this season.  Everyone in the world agrees the player is the best IFA they've ever seen.  Can't do that unless you plan for it.

8/18/2013 7:14 PM (edited)
If you plan on signing multiple big FA, there's no point in domestic scouting.   Losing your 1st/2nd rounders means you'll be getting a pick around 100.   I've had plenty of players drafted in the third round make the bigs but they aren't what you'd call "difference-makers".   
8/19/2013 8:57 AM
fun WS bigmatt
8/21/2013 11:28 PM (edited)
"just trying to figure out how it is best to allocate my budget to get some young players to avoid having to completely rebuild once my current players age"

The trick is trying to spin those players off before they age and lose their value. Veteran players aren't nearly as valuable in HBD as they are in MLB, although real-life GMs are starting to resemble us more and more.

I've tried essentially what you've described, but without a total commitment to punting the draft, and it never ends well. Unless you're able to sign one or two top-flight INT guys a year, you're going to end up with no minor league talent at some point. And if the FA pool stinks a couple years in a row, you'll suddenly end up with an aging roster that you can't even trade for spare parts, which even the Astros have been able to do. It's difficult to turn that around quickly unless you get a loaded FA class that allows you to fill multiple holes without offering regrettable contracts.
8/22/2013 8:05 AM
Sustaining Success--Budget Allocation Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.