Proximity Preference Questions Topic

**** my mouse and keyboard and this laptop.  3rd attempt at entry.

Ok.  So if I'm 70 miles from a kid, school B is 390 from him, how much benefit is each visit when his preference is close to home? Far from home?  I understand the tiers of distances...does it increase with those (whatever the effect is)?

Part 2. *Bonus*
Are simmy's recruits all basing their proximity preferences off the 200 miles or actual locations?

I've already forgotten what I learned about this issue, any target ratios/help would be appreciated.  Or a link from dac via the forum history.

Thanks
8/23/2013 7:01 PM
this seems like a sneaky way to get me to do the forum searching for you :)

which I did... the only thing I can find while eating chicken is a post from weena in this thread

I wouldn't consider proximity a factor in deciding who to recruit at all. The impact is minimal. According to some estimates, it is roughly close to the cost of one home visit. The breakpoint for home/far away is 300 miles.

although kmason responded that he thinks the far away preference is more significant...

I personally have no idea, and I pay absolutely no attention to proximity preferences when decided who to recruit...
8/23/2013 7:47 PM
Wha...I would never!  Thanks dac :)

This was pretty much my previous understanding (not having much impact), and yet it is still veiled in mystery.  Aside from the intent of this post to attain some parameters, I would think proximity preference (or substitute your variable here) having a more prominent role would add a fun and challenging wrinkle to the recruiting saga.  
8/23/2013 7:56 PM
http://www.whatifsports.com/knowledgebase/KB_Article_Details.aspx?kbid=739
8/23/2013 8:19 PM
at one point i thought the far away advantage was very significant, and lostmyth then did his veteran faq that said the same thing, which made me think it was true. but then over the course of events, i think it wasnt worth as much as we though... we both though it could be upwards of a 50% advantage. now i think its still significant, DONT ignore the distant one, but its probably not 50% ballpark...
8/24/2013 3:15 PM
Sometimes when recruiting a kid whose preference is "Far Away" I stress the fact that though we are, say, only 100 miles away, we are in a different state. Every state has its own culture, so it's the same as being far away, I tell them. It takes some finesse but I find that proximity concerns can usually be dispatched with a modicum of effort.
10/3/2013 4:49 PM
I dont think it has much effect.  I would be waay surprised at 50%.

I do think it would be great if preferences could be expanded to create more recruiting texture - kids could

want a cold climate
want a warm climate
want a party school
want a strong academic school
want engineering
want a large school
want a small school
one could go on......

10/3/2013 5:02 PM
Proximity Preference Questions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.