I'll be trying to do a release today or tomorrow for the fixes to tackling, and then I'll work some this weekend and early next week to try to get an early version of my new play by play released as well. Ok, on with the details.
Tackling was improperly set up. When testing the application I was focusing on offensive statistics and making sure the right information was being called and I broke tackling. After further investigation, tackling was not set up properly and was referenced at various places throughout the code. I've moved all of the tackling results to the final results data, and hooked up all of the necessary statistics.
PBP - I've spent the last few days focusing on PBP. I'm pulling out all of the text strings that are scattered through the code, and creating a factory that will allow me to easily pull the strings when I need them. Besides that, the PBP will soon be based on the results of the play, and not evaluated till after the play is complete. The distinction here is that much of the play by play code was distributed throughout the various other sections of the game, clogging up logic and complicating the flow. This will be separated out into it's own class and simplify the flow of the game and the debugging of the play.
Next Up: Once play by play is done, I'll be looking to modify the advantages of play call and game planning. Play calling in particular is kind of a tough subject for some, and it stands to reason that it's difficult to randomize play calls without user input, but allow them to have significant impact. I'll be looking to manage that impact across the game, rather than by the play. For example, if you are calling run all the time, and the other team is calling pass all the time, the individual plays should show some increase in the offense, but the real advantage will be across an entire game.
In addition to play calling, game planning, or formation has been seen to have significant results as well, maybe too significant. I'll be running through some tests to see what kind of results we see from game planning mismatch, and I'll be looking to normalize those over the next couple of weeks as well. Getting the flow of the game to a more appropriate level.
NOTE: One last thing, it was brought to my attention last week that the testing base has felt neglected by WhatIfSports. I have felt this to be a disservice to you as your contributions have significantly influenced the game. Thus, I've been talking with management and they agree that your help has been important and we'll be working on some lists of those that have helped through this process. When the beta version is finally released, I will try to give "credits" where credit is due. If I haven't said it enough, thanks for all of your help, I really feel like this last month your help has been needed in progressing the game. Of course, this next month is going to be the most critical, so stick with me. Now I'm at a point where I'm more comfortable with the structures in the game, and I'm looking to adjust the numbers and influence to make this thing a real powerhouse. I can't do that without all of you. Thanks, and I look forward to a very fun month.