Demonstrating the biggest problem with this site.. Topic

Great thread - just wanted to add that what Len is talking about seems to be the case with ALL of the WiS games right now.  Along with SLB, I am into HD - I think that while it has minor problems and could be improved, it is an incredible game.  But like SLB, it seems to be slowly dying.  When new blood does come in, which is rare, they tend to fail badly and so only stick around for a season or two.

As an HD junkie, I am sure hoping that the powers-that-be find a way to get this turned around.  I haven't seen a game like it anywhere else, it would be a shame if it faded away.

8/28/2013 6:03 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by Wonder Boys on 8/28/2013 3:09:00 PM (view original):
biglenr - terrific addition again, but let me add one more point.  If WIS would ever go to multiple "open leagues" then I believe we should allow all owners (all-star, hall of fame, etc.) to particiapte, for a couple reasons.  First, in my 30 plus years of trying to teach customer service to young Air Force members (who don't listen) I've learned a lot.  In addition to improving your guest service techniques to gain new customers you must also take action to keep the customers who have remained loyal to you.  Since theme leagues take a long time to fill (hopefully that will change) we need to allow our "old timers" to try something new and refreshing or else they may get fed up and leave.  Point two is the learning factor.  When I started way back when I was terrible (that hasn't changed much!) but in addition to the forums teaching me I also learned a heck of a lot from the hall of famers in my leagues.  Watching who they used, the batting order, the pitching rotation, etc.  I sometimes worry that the newbies will not gain knowledge quickly (hence then moving on to theme leagues) if there is no one to really challenge them.  Not allowing TOC, award points, etc. is certainly valid, but many of the ones that have been playing the site for a long time really don't care that much about "winning" as opposed to just the fun of building a team!
And to make "Forums" work best, the usual levity must assist others
in feeling like they can make this place an internet home...

In keeping with such tradition, all that I can do now is to SHOUT !!!

Go-go-go, Colorado Springs !!!... Go-go-go, Air Force !!!...

Home sweet home... 
8/29/2013 1:36 AM
Wonderboys -

Out of curiousity, why do you want a HIGHER cap for open leagues?  Right now, open leagues provide higher than all-star level teams.  People constantly complain about why their players don't perform closer to their real life stats... It's because both hitters and pitchers are playing against higher levels of competition. 

Making caps higher would only make that problem worse.  Which causes more of a disconnect for new users (ie:  Why does Mike Trout only hit .290 with 15 HR's for my team?).

8/29/2013 9:09 AM
Instead of spending money for internet marketing, I propose having boogerlips dress like Babe Ruth and hold a sign board on a bust corner street.
8/29/2013 9:34 AM
Posted by biglenr on 8/29/2013 9:09:00 AM (view original):
Wonderboys -

Out of curiousity, why do you want a HIGHER cap for open leagues?  Right now, open leagues provide higher than all-star level teams.  People constantly complain about why their players don't perform closer to their real life stats... It's because both hitters and pitchers are playing against higher levels of competition. 

Making caps higher would only make that problem worse.  Which causes more of a disconnect for new users (ie:  Why does Mike Trout only hit .290 with 15 HR's for my team?).

I agree with this...and higher caps also allows more room for Joss and other cookies.

I think that there are two types of customers on WIS...
  • Customer 1 wants to play in higher caps so they can use the baseball greats and match them up against each other to see who really is the best
  • Customer 2 wants to look at the stats and see realistic numbers based on real life
I know that theme leagues and progressives separate these 2 from each other, but your open league blends the two together at $80 million (although with the current salary levels and the AAA players, it really plays more like $90 million). Perhaps along with your "Minor" and "Major" open leagues you have additional options for "Realistic" at $60 million, "Standard" at $80 million, "All-Star" at $100 million, and "Hall of Fame" at $120 million. Now you've got 2 levels for newbies/pros and 4 options for varying levels of competition.

Realistic and Standard would appeal to your stats driven customers while All-Star and Hall of Fame would appeal to your baseball greats customers.
8/29/2013 10:06 AM
Len/frazzman - no real intelligent thought behind a higher cap open league.  My brain was working on two things - one, the different "versions"  (broken down by era) of open leagues and with that I thought a slightly higher cap would be helpful (or fun) and two, I originally thought that a higher cap may help fight 'against' the dead ball players by allowing better offensive players but you both had an excellent comeback to that so scratch that idea!    In short I'm personally not that concerned about the cap as I am about having different levels or options for the open leagues.  Something that the 'newer' generation can go to for modern players without having to combat the deadball pitchers; build their confidence and hopefully keep them on the site, like breaking it down by eras but I like frazzman's ideas.  I guess I'm focused on improving the open league concept because theme leagues seem so difficult to fill...so somehow combine the two...I think both of you are on the right track. - Gary 

(By the way, do you guys have a source at WIS that reads our suggestions?)
8/29/2013 11:50 AM
Before Fox took over, you would normally get an answer to a question within 24 hours.  Usually, it was Tom Z. that answered and, sometimes, the Turk himself would chime in.  Now, you're lucky to get an answer within 24 days...
8/29/2013 12:15 PM
Additional thoughts about open league cap salary increase - if WIS reconstructed the open leagues to allow options by eras, (like above) what would a cap increase to $85m mean if the option a person entered was 1960-2012?  There would be no Addie Joss (nor in a 1921-1960 league option).   It could even be lowed to say $75m.  Maybe I'm too much sold on offering open leagues by eras (with an additional option for a complete database league like we already have.  Question:  back to frazzman's comments - how effective are deadball pitchers in $120m leagues?  (It's been a while since I used something that high)
8/29/2013 1:02 PM
Posted by micki on 8/29/2013 9:34:00 AM (view original):
Instead of spending money for internet marketing, I propose having boogerlips dress like Babe Ruth and hold a sign board on a bust corner street.

Why do you want him to dress as Babe Ruth?  What will he do with all of his Madonna outfits?

8/29/2013 1:20 PM
Posted by Wonder Boys on 8/29/2013 1:02:00 PM (view original):
Additional thoughts about open league cap salary increase - if WIS reconstructed the open leagues to allow options by eras, (like above) what would a cap increase to $85m mean if the option a person entered was 1960-2012?  There would be no Addie Joss (nor in a 1921-1960 league option).   It could even be lowed to say $75m.  Maybe I'm too much sold on offering open leagues by eras (with an additional option for a complete database league like we already have.  Question:  back to frazzman's comments - how effective are deadball pitchers in $120m leagues?  (It's been a while since I used something that high)
See, I fall under category 2 listed above. I play mostly progressives now and have not played at a cap higher than 80 million in forever, so I can't answer your question about $120 million cap. I played higher caps when I first started here and have gravitated to the lower caps ever since.

I think almost any $80 mil open league team with AAA could beat any real life single season historical team...and I think that's a travesty. But if you look at the classifieds forum, it's chock full of leagues with $100 million + caps so I may be in the minority. I wouldn't play in an open league now because I don't think it's very realistic...that's why progressives are my thing.
8/29/2013 2:24 PM
You got me smiling frazzman!   When I first joined way back when I thought "Wow, $160m - that's cool, I gotta join!!"   Now I'm getting like you...the smaller caps are more realistic! 
8/29/2013 4:15 PM
Have taken the time to more fully read these posts. ---Of course,
insight and input makes the world go 'round, & there's plenty of
it here, concerning a better future...

Posted on page one about a very-neccessary re-build of this site,
without elaborating as to how truly dead this place could become
without such attention to an issue like this...

Point is, my phone interfaces and interacts here sporadically, and
unreliably. No doubt, the future must be 'smart-phone' smart, as it
will also be 'key' to keeping those newcomers attached, in a 'user'
friendly way. Have been jail-breaking phones for almost 10 years,
& slamming every bit of technology that I can thru sling-boxes, -&-
re-built cable & satellite systems, ---& still seem to get no help @
all from WiS...

Can't they hear us knocking ???... They should... Open real doors!

Thanx again for addressing such an issue, sincerely...
8/29/2013 9:24 PM
Posted by thejuice6 on 8/27/2013 3:55:00 PM (view original):
Awhile back, I came up with an idea for another tournament.  Six rounds, thirty-one 24-team leagues in all.  For anyone keeping count, that would be 744 teams purchased over the course of the next 12-14 months.  Multiply 744 times $12.95 (or whatever the discounted cost would be for those buying six-packs) and it comes out to a pretty good amount of change.

I sent the request in two weeks ago today to ask if I could post the tournament and advertise the payout to the champion of the tournament - $310 worth of credit.  This is standard from what has been promised and given out over the last few years when I run these tournaments ($10 of credit per league).  I ask each time just to cover my butt - in case someone wins one of these tournaments and then WIS says, "we didn't promise any winnings this time around."

Like I said, I sent that in two weeks ago.  I haven't heard anything back yet...

Three weeks now...no word yet.

9/3/2013 1:21 PM
I have been trying to get some of my friends to join but everybody seems to have 3-8 fantasy football teams they are managing...:P
9/3/2013 3:18 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Demonstrating the biggest problem with this site.. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.