Is it ok to redshirt a sophomore? Topic

Hello guys first post love this game so far. I've got a Soph. QB that i inherited when i took over my first team. Is it ok to redshirt him? What's the pro's and cons. Thank you.
9/1/2013 2:06 PM
You can do it.  The biggest issue is that he will lose WE (I can't remember how much but probably 1/3 to 1/2).  This will slow his growth over his remaining time on the team, especially if he does not start next season (which is unlikely with your other QBs). 

He is not a bad QB and in your case I think it might start that kid vs the two Jrs.  Next season recruit the best QB you can get and put a RS on him.  Regarding the QB situation, think long term.  I think most coaches (or at least I do it this way) will always RS their QBs and recruit one every other season so at a minimum you have a RS Jr who can start. 
9/1/2013 2:19 PM
Makes sense. Thank you.
So Im starting Payne the Jr because of his str at 50 vs the Soph at 37. Plus better hands. Im a newbie so Id love to hear your reasoning for your recommendations.
9/1/2013 2:43 PM (edited)
Posted by rlslmshdy on 9/1/2013 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Hello guys first post love this game so far. I've got a Soph. QB that i inherited when i took over my first team. Is it ok to redshirt him? What's the pro's and cons. Thank you.
Redshirting a Soph will result in a loss between 7-12 points of WE.  The con is that you lose a little work ethic.  The pro is he will still grow, if he isn't tapped out and you will have him an extra season.
9/1/2013 3:34 PM
You have to make sure too that you have not given him a PR start in his SO season. If so his WE could just about bottom out.
9/1/2013 5:11 PM
I value TECH and GI almost equally, with the nod to TECH.  STR and HND are secondary to me.  I find that STR does not really have an effect on my team.  In your case, it appears to me that the best combination of TECH and GI (with TECH the most important) is the Soph.  I don't think its a CLEAR choice...but I tend to go with youth when its a close race.  You can always play a 2 QB system (play one guy each half to figure out which one actually produces better)

None of them are great, but all of them are decent.  The best thing for you is to think for the future and what is best in 2 or 3 seasons.
9/1/2013 6:33 PM
+1
9/6/2013 9:16 AM
Is it ok to redshirt a sophomore? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.