2013-14, Round 2 Themes Topic

League Name: Twist Four
Salary Cap: $60 Million

Description: Pick a post-deadball (1920-2013) single-season team.  You can twist up to four players from that team (i.e., use any season for those four players).  The rest of your roster must consist of players from the selected team.  The 300K exception will be allowed (i.e., you can use anybody under 300K from the same season as your selected team).

DH: No
WW: No
AAA: No
Trades: No
Clones: No
Injuries: Turned On
SLL: Not allowed
Multi-team players: No restrictions (i.e., you can use partial or combined)
Ballpark: Use the ballpark from your selected team (if the park is not available, advance forward or back to the closest season that a park exists)
300K Exception: You may use any sub 300K player from the same season as your selected team
Team Name: Include your selected year & team as part of the team name.
Division Alignment: Random

9/2/2013 4:29 PM
Question / Answer $60M Theme

Q: Can the twisted players be before 1920
A: No, all players will be from 1920 and later.
9/9/2013 1:45 PM (edited)

League Name: Six Drafts
Salary Cap: $80 Million

Description:  The 24 owners will be placed into six groups of four, based on the Final Standings from the WIS Championship Round 1. In other words, the owners ranked 1-4 will be in group A, the owners ranked 5-8 will be in group B, all the way thru the owners ranked 21-24 (group F). These groupings will also be the division alignments (i.e., group A in the NL East, group F in the AL West). 

Starting with Group F, and working backwards to Group A, the highest ranked owner in each group (i.e., #1, #5, #9, #13, #17, #21) will select one unique season (i.e., a season not already selected by a previous group). So each group will have their own unique season. The four people in each group will then draft their entire 25-man roster from their selected season. There will be six independent drafts going on simultaneously. The draft order for the first round is based on reverse ranking, which means that the person selecting the season will draft last in the first round, so it would be wise not to select a season with one clear-cut stud. Each successive round’s draft order will be based on cumulative salary spent (lowest salary drafts first). So for players who played with more than one team during the season, you will need to announce which version you are using in order to calculate the correct cumulative salary.

Seasons 1901-2013 only, no Federal League

Multi-team players: No restrictions (i.e., you can use partial or combined), but once a player is drafted, all versions of that player are off the board
Ballpark: Use the ballpark from your selected season.
300K Exception: N/A
Team Name: Anything.
Division Alignment: Based on round 1 final standings.

10/8/2013 2:00 PM (edited)
Question / Answer $80M Theme

Q: What about the Federal League?  If I choose 1914 or 1915, do we get to draft from AL, NL and FL?
A:  No, just AL and NL only.
10/8/2013 1:59 PM (edited)

League Name: The 30's and 60's
Salary Cap: $90 Million

Description: This theme is simple.  Your roster will consist mostly of players from the 1930's and 1960's.  Specifically, you must use exactly one player per year from 1930-1939 and 1960-69.  The remaining five players must be under 300K and can be from any season outside of 1930-39 & 1960-69.  The DH will be in effect. 

DH: Yes
Multi-team players: No restrictions (i.e., you can use partial or combined),
Ballpark: Use a ballpark from the 1930's or 1960's.
300K Exception: You must use 5 players under 300K that are not in the 1930's or 1960'd decades.
Team Name: Anything

9/2/2013 4:51 PM (edited)
Question / Answer $90M Theme

Q: Can the 5 players <300k be from the same season as each other?
A: Yes
9/30/2013 3:49 PM (edited)
League Name: Dual Blacklist
Salary Cap
:
$100 Million

Description: This league will have two player blacklists.  The first list reflects all 459 players selected more than once in the $100M leagues from round 1.  Nobody from this list may be taken.  The second list reflects the 291 players (over $4M) taken exactly once in those same $100M leagues.  You may draft exactly one player from this list.  You may use any version of this player, regardless of season or salary.  The rest of your team must be made up of players not appearing on either blacklist.

All the ballparks used in these leagues will also be blacklisted. 

All the blacklists will be listed in a separate thread.  Hopefully, I can get admin to populate the blacklist ahead of time to make building your team easier (you'll still have to check the second blacklist though).

Ballpark: Any park not blacklisted

9/30/2013 4:04 PM (edited)
Question / Answer $100M Theme
9/2/2013 4:51 PM
League Name: Same Franchise Player Draft
Salary Cap
:
$110 Million

Description: This theme features a 25-round serpentine draft (draft order determined randomly).  Once a player is drafted, all versions of that player are off the board. Also, when a player is drafted, the owner does not have to identify which year of the player he plans on using. At the end of the draft, each owner must field a roster where all 25 of his players play for the same franchise.

So if Babe Ruth is the top pick, that owner may end up as a Yankees franchise or a Red Sox franchise.  We won't know until he makes another pick or two.  If his second round pick is Dutch Leonard, we can assume he's a Red Sox franchise.  Note that the Yankees franchises will not have Babe Ruth available to draft, since he was already drafted. 

There is no limit of how many times each franchise can be represented, but keep in mind that if you are the fourth person to go with the Yankees, you will be competing for Yankees players with three other teams, whereas there may be only one Phillies or Orioles franchise. Even though it’s usually an advantage to have a high draft pick in these types of leagues, drafting later will give you the opportunity of seeing what potential franchises are unused, which means less competition for players. (Franchise = Browns/Orioles, Senators/Twins, etc.). Division alignment is based on draft order (i.e., picks 1-4 = NL East). Also note that there is potential for making a pick with the sole purpose of screwing another person. For example, say you are the only person with the Orioles/Browns franchise. You decided to wait until a later round to take Mike Cuellar. But a Cardinals owner who is in your division notices this and decides to draft Cuellar (’64) as one of his scrubs, just to screw you out of a good SP.

*** Players from seasons 1901-2013 only can be used ***

Ballpark: Any park your franchise called home.
Team Name: Include your franchise in the team name
Division Alignment: Based on draft order.

9/2/2013 5:07 PM
Question / Answer $110M Theme
9/2/2013 5:07 PM

League Name: Same Players, Different Season, Part II
Salary Cap: $120 Million

Description: You must use the same 25 players you used for your round one $70M roster and build a $120M roster, where you use a different season of each player. Different season means different year, not a different version of the same year. You must use the same ballpark. I have your round 1 roster available if you need it.

Multi-team players: No restrictions (i.e., you can use partial or combined)
Ballpark: Use the same ballpark you used ini round 1

9/2/2013 5:10 PM
Question / Answer $120M Theme
9/2/2013 5:10 PM
Submit your questions here.
9/2/2013 5:11 PM
I am starting a new thread for the TBD $100M theme.
9/2/2013 5:11 PM
$60M. can the twisted players be before 1920?
9/9/2013 1:20 PM
123 Next ▸
2013-14, Round 2 Themes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.