All Forums > Hardball Dynasty Baseball > Suggestions > Any chance WIS will consolidate some HBD leagues?
9/10/2013 7:24 PM
Is there any chance What if Sports will consolidate some worlds to fix this log jam we have in HBD?  There are currently a total of 41 worlds TOTALING 219 TEAMS that have vacancies to fill (Public Worlds = 10 leagues / 72 available teams & Private Worlds = 31 leagues / 147 available teams)....this with another 22 leagues eligable for rollover in the next week.  219 team openings is the equivalent of seven leagues (6.84 to be exact)....THAT'S A LOT OF OPENINGS TO FILL.  

Personally, I (and many other owners I've talked too) would prefer less roll over time in between seasons.  To have to wait 2-3 months to fill a league is ridiculous.  Plus it doesn't seem to be cost effective for What If Sports either.  I mean, in the time these leagues are waiting to fill, you could almost play another entire season....that's another $800 in revenue you would generate PER LEAGUE.  Due to the economy, I'm sure people are down-sizing the number of leagues they are in...but this is something that really needs to be addressed asap.  

9/10/2013 8:05 PM
If its taking you 2-3 months to fill, you should join a better league. Its never taken me more than 3-4 days to roll over.
9/11/2013 10:59 AM
While consolidating worlds has been a complete disaster(Super teams aren't so super against other super teams so owners jumped ship), it's certainly something that should be considered year round and not just when there's a "crisis". 

Of course, all owners in a world would have to be on board to accept 5 teams from World A.   And, naturally, the owners from those 5 teams would have to be willing to move also.    In all likelihood, getting 32 owners to agree on anything is unlikely.
9/11/2013 2:28 PM (edited)
I'd say the first step would  be to get YOUR OWN world on board with merging with another World.

Once you get THAT done, then you must find a world that will agree to merge with yours.

If you can do both, WIS will oblige the request.

Another point to remember is that something like just over 1/2 of all the openings come from only 10-12 of the 40+ worlds with openings.
Amazing that they get owners at all.

While your world has been waiting a month, there are actually 4 worlds who have been waiting longer.
One of them rolled back on July 7th. They still have more openings than Carter.

Problem is everyone wants to point the finger at the amount of worlds and refuses to see that the problem is their own world.

Since Joey Belle rolled on 7/7 there have been almost 100 worlds who have rolled and filled, and are playing. So obviously those worlds didn't have to wait a month or two. 

This time of the year it gets even harder to fill worlds, and the "logjam" really highlights the worlds who are not attractive to most owners for whatever reason.

9/11/2013 3:02 PM
Well, a full merge requires a specific number of teams that can't exceed 32.     You just don't see many worlds with 14-15 openings.   You can't merge two worlds with 8 and 17 openings as someone gets left holding the bag. 
9/11/2013 4:21 PM
Mike is correct. Merging 2 world together takes an near perfect storm. It's not a good solution since it will so rarely be in play.

What would work in many more cases is allowing a world with a lot of opening to vote themselves Failed.  Or WIS could just declare it.

And then let GMs who want to keep playing the team they've build to move that team into a world that is willing to accept teams from other worlds.

WIS would need to do the best possible, or nothing at all, with the history of the teams that moved.  It might be easy to bring in previous season stats and awards.  Or it might be impossible to do that without rewriting a lot of software.

I suspect most GMs are much more loyal to their team than their world with 10+ openings.  They'd be willing to perhaps lose their players past awards and maybe even past stats to keep their team intact in a different world.

I'd also bet some worlds would be wiling to take in other teams if the other option waiting for them was being broken up or waiting months to fill.

I think this is a better solution that having 40+ worlds with openings at any time of the years. 

If WIS can merge worlds, they can do this.  And I'll make a big bet they won't do this. It would take investing a few dollars into HBD, and we haven't seen that in over a year.
9/11/2013 5:05 PM
As I said, the consolidation of worlds hasn't worked.   Owners love the winning not the team.   When the team moves and is less successful, they jump ship.   Happened in virtually every world that was joined.   8-10 openings after S1 of the new world.

This goes back to my "traveling team" idea of a few years ago.   Allow owners to carry their 40 man to whatever league will accept them.  Remove the 40 man over the team they're replacing and give them the remaining players.    I don't necessarily think this is a good idea but it would allow some owners to fill some worlds.  But said owners are leaving some holding the bag in the world the leave.    Maybe restrict the option to owners in worlds with 8 or more openings for over 30 days.
9/11/2013 9:45 PM
I think it would be easier to fill a super team whose GM bailed because he's not winning 110+ games than a crap team in a world with 9 openings.

WIS could set it up so a team has to be accepted into the new world. Super teams built by tanking & one-sided deals might have a hard time finding a new home. In a world where half the GMs bailed, that would be 15 reasonably happy people in new worlds and 1 guy probably ******. Way better than folding a world.
9/12/2013 8:41 AM
That really wasn't the case.   IIRC, Stargell at Monument Park was one of the first.   6-7 openings in S2 and they had trouble filling for a couple of seasons.   A "super team" that won 70 games wasn't a super team anymore.   Future owners recognized the problem.  
All Forums > Hardball Dynasty Baseball > Suggestions > Any chance WIS will consolidate some HBD leagues?

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.