Pick my first baseman Topic

I have a young NL team and need to fill my 1b spot with a low salary guy.  My lineup consists of 2 studs who will hit for average and power and about 4, 20 HR, 70-85 RBI guys. Only one guy for speed, usually a late replacement.  The last spot is a platoon SS who will always hit 8th.  Who would you pick for your everyday (pretty much) first baseman.  

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Trevor Sullivan

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ben Stark

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Cody Hayes

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Howard Hausmann

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Fred Ross

9/21/2013 2:16 PM
I like Hayes the best.  Stark and Ross should never ,ever see a ML at-bat.
9/21/2013 2:42 PM
Hausmann.

Much better glove, which is the most critical defensive rating @ 1B imo. 

Hayes is the only other guy that should be in the conversation.
9/21/2013 2:53 PM
I would go Hayes against Righties, Stark Against Lefties... if you can't platoon them, I would try to find a better 1B (actually, I would try to find a better 1B either way.... none of them will give you very good production for the position)... if you have to go with one, Hayes (but Hausmann is close).  I think Stark will do fine if 95+% of his AB's are against lefties (when compared to the other options). 
9/21/2013 2:58 PM
Platoon Stark and Hausmann.  Neither really have 1B quality offense, but with their slight + defense, they'll be competitive against the league average.
9/21/2013 4:50 PM
Stark vs L will be absolute killer.  He is very very worth it as a vsL platoon.  None of the others are really all that good Hayes isnt terrible.  I would love to have Stark esp in the NL.  And esp if my pitching staff has enough dur sta that I could get along with just 11 of em.  Then no question Stark is worth his weight in gold against lefties on your team.
9/21/2013 5:01 PM
Hayes.  Or maybe platoon Hayes and Stark.
9/21/2013 10:57 PM
Hayes isn't all that terrible if you HAVE to go $327K... I'd take him over Hausman, because (a) the range will reduce infield throwing errors, offsetting the glove difference and (b) Hausman is pretty weak against LHP, and you don't want two of these guys on your roster.  I have no use for the other 3... Stark is going to have about a .290 OBP against LHP, which will take a lot of the awesome out of his .500 SLG.
9/21/2013 11:09 PM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Clem Foxx

I dont think I quite agree with Dedelman when it comes to Starks ability to bat the ball against lefties.  If you take a look at Clemms numbers (pre injury that just happened) his contact and power ratings are nearly identical to Stark, but with a fraction of Starks VSL  Clemm has an overall OBP of .289 and .499 SLG with vastly worse VS numbers then Starks VSL.  Id say you could add at least 30-40 pts to Starks OBP and a further 70-80 to his SLG.  Minimum to his VSL numbers.  ID be very happy to have a 1B that can OPS in the .950 range even if he is only vsL.  But especially so when he is league minimum forever because his overall is crap, and he will never have more then 250-300 ABs per season.
9/22/2013 7:27 AM
Posted by greeny9 on 9/22/2013 7:27:00 AM (view original):
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Clem Foxx

I dont think I quite agree with Dedelman when it comes to Starks ability to bat the ball against lefties.  If you take a look at Clemms numbers (pre injury that just happened) his contact and power ratings are nearly identical to Stark, but with a fraction of Starks VSL  Clemm has an overall OBP of .289 and .499 SLG with vastly worse VS numbers then Starks VSL.  Id say you could add at least 30-40 pts to Starks OBP and a further 70-80 to his SLG.  Minimum to his VSL numbers.  ID be very happy to have a 1B that can OPS in the .950 range even if he is only vsL.  But especially so when he is league minimum forever because his overall is crap, and he will never have more then 250-300 ABs per season.
I used my standard formula to estimate performance, which I have found kind of breaks down around very high and very low ratings.  So you are probably partially right... but I don't think it's OBP my formula missed, it's his SLG.  Stark has an EYE of 13, which will negate the difference in VsL as far as OBP goes.  But with the very high split I didn't account for doubles adequately in estimating the SLG... maybe .280/.300/.560 is more likely. 

I still think that's not worth carrying given the OBP, but I get why someone would.
9/22/2013 9:21 AM
Posted by maxdeardorff on 9/21/2013 4:50:00 PM (view original):
Platoon Stark and Hausmann.  Neither really have 1B quality offense, but with their slight + defense, they'll be competitive against the league average.
This.
9/22/2013 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys.  Keep it coming, I'll take all you want to post.
9/22/2013 4:08 PM
Hausmann vs RHP
Stark vs LHP
9/23/2013 11:51 AM
I think Hayes and Hausmann are close, but I would go with Hayes as his range advantage will net him about 15+ plays on defense over Hausmann.

I'd be really interested to see what Stark would do as the vs LHP part of a platoon.  With Power and Vs LHP that high, I think he might hit .280 with a .650 slg.  Although with 0 speed and 13 eye, hi might be a complete disaster with a sub .275 obp and a bunch of GIDP. But  I think he's worth a look if yiou have the room.

9/23/2013 3:47 PM
If these are your only choices then I'd pick Hausmann, Hayes would need a map to get around the bases.  As ersberg stated Stark & Ross should never see a ML roster.  Sullivan would get the nod if his BE was better than just average.
9/23/2013 9:26 PM
Pick my first baseman Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.