Old manager looking for a mentor Topic

I have played HBD for many seasons, about 40 in total, but I still don't have a good understanding of this game.  I currently have three teams, but I am thinking about dropping one.  I need someone or some ones to help me get my head around everything that I need to be doing to be successful.  
9/27/2013 11:57 AM
I don't know that I want to undertake that task but, looking at your two active teams, you're defense deficient.   Which makes your pitching worse. 

Both team are bad at SS.  And that's the most important defensive position.   You can skimp here and there, even with the next two I'm going to mention, but you should try your best to get 85 across the board at SS even if it means using a guy that can't hit his weight.

You're bad at 2B/CF on your other teams.   One has a good 2B while the other has a good CF.    Combine that with a bad SS and you're killing your pitching staff.   I've changed my thinking a bit on 2B, used to insist on 75/75 range/glove but you can get by with a high range/lesser glove at 2B.   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Robin Petersen change my mind.   He does fine.   I'm pretty forgiving in CF but need 85 range or better.    

So, in summation, tighten up your D.  If the SS you're using can hit, move them around(like to 2B/3B)then move your 2B/3B to a more appropriate spot.    
9/27/2013 12:32 PM
Thanks.
9/27/2013 1:32 PM
Hey Dusty,

To add my $ .2
After looking at your Chicago Big Hurt squad. I would try to accentuate the team around US cellular fields' HR favoring flavor. Compile your squad with more HR hitters / HR suppressing P. It looks like you have some power in your lineup, but your P are below average. For one, try never to roster Pitchers with a below 55 rating at any of the following,

Con, VSL, VSR, 

You can also make a case for the P1 rating below 80 being bad especially in a HR friendly park. And since you are a HR friendly team, you should target Ground ball P with a high GB rating. 

Just looking at your team from last year, these guys should never have been on your ML roster. But you had some of them for multiple seasons. 

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Kevin Blackley
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Walt Hemingway
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Alex Jeter
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Chris Dillon

Feel free to sitemail with specific questions and GL!
10/11/2013 1:30 PM
Old manager looking for a mentor Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.