Trying to figure out why my team is so inconsistent.  Any help would be appreciated.  Beat 3 real good teams and lost to 3 real bad teams.  Can't figure it out.
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=7555
9/30/2013 11:38 AM
Answer #1:  Every time I see a question like this I start by clicking on the team IQ page.  I need look no further.  Are you practicing & running a Flex/Triangle, Zone/Press?  If so, stop!

Answer #2: There aren't any players on your team that are either very fast, very athletic, or very good at defense.  It would really help your team to have an athletic post player and a fast guard.  They aren't on your team.
9/30/2013 12:46 PM
For the last few games, he's used Triangle/Zone.  I think the Flex and Press were previous schemes. But, I agree with rogelio. It's not a good idea to practice multiple offenses/defenses
9/30/2013 1:25 PM
Yeah that was from before.  I'll change that now.  But why or how can I beat a team like Johnson & Wales and than lose to Albert Magnus.  I thought I lost to W. New England and St Joes, ME because they were on the road, but I lose to AM at home.  I don't get it.  I also beat Suffolk also.
9/30/2013 4:11 PM
Posted by terps21234 on 9/30/2013 4:11:00 PM (view original):
Yeah that was from before.  I'll change that now.  But why or how can I beat a team like Johnson & Wales and than lose to Albert Magnus.  I thought I lost to W. New England and St Joes, ME because they were on the road, but I lose to AM at home.  I don't get it.  I also beat Suffolk also.
It's hard to say, but your two surprise wins were playing slowdown at home.  That's a good recipe for upsets.  Your team is so thin in the frontcourt and at PG that you probably have to play slowdown to be competitive (although Hupp is really able to play 40 pretty well).   BTW, you might try switching Haddox to C and Smart to PF.  Also, you might find the team plays better with Moody at SG and letting him shoot threes for your (send everyone else inside).   
9/30/2013 7:51 PM
Thanks rogelio.  I'll try mixing things up like you said.
9/30/2013 9:10 PM
Posted by rogelio on 9/30/2013 7:51:00 PM (view original):
It's hard to say, but your two surprise wins were playing slowdown at home.  That's a good recipe for upsets.  Your team is so thin in the frontcourt and at PG that you probably have to play slowdown to be competitive (although Hupp is really able to play 40 pretty well).   BTW, you might try switching Haddox to C and Smart to PF.  Also, you might find the team plays better with Moody at SG and letting him shoot threes for your (send everyone else inside).   
rogelio, The reason I don't start Moody is because of his def.  I start Brown and have Moody come off bench with a high distro.  If I start Moody will that make my def. worse?
9/30/2013 9:12 PM
it seems like you have pretty low stamina for many players, even considering you have zone defense.  I think slow down would be vital in this situation because of that.  I see you ran slow down many times recently, but not the most recent game.  i would stick with it.

I also noticed your best PG fouling out a few times.  I would definitely set his foul settings to least aggressive, hopefully avoiding fouling out. 
The same player, Hupp, is also taking a lot of shots.  I would consider turning down the distro on him a little bit, lest you risk getting double teamed vs. m2m and zone defense.... 

otherwise, I think the other comments are right -- your guards aren't that fast and none have that high of defense rating or athleticism.  your bigs are very low on athleticism and also very average to bad on defense attribute.  that will add up to inconsistent performances.

statistically, you are just barely losing the rebound battles.  but with a zone, you really need to win the rebound battle IMO.  you aren't designed to win the turnover battle (like a press would be).  You need some more firepower on the front line with only 2 bigs that can rebound....  that's a recruiting issue though.

gotta run

9/30/2013 9:42 PM
Posted by terps21234 on 9/30/2013 9:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rogelio on 9/30/2013 7:51:00 PM (view original):
rogelio, The reason I don't start Moody is because of his def.  I start Brown and have Moody come off bench with a high distro.  If I start Moody will that make my def. worse?
Yup.    He's also by far your best perimeter scorer and starting him will make it more likely that the sim has him on the court at the end of the game.

Now that I look again.  You've got a TON of guards for a coach running a 2-3.  Why not move Leaf to PF and run a 3-2?  Smart's stamina is a real drawback anyhow; he's not really a great player to start.  If you promised Smart starts, then you probably only need to give him 2 or 3 more during the regular season to be safe, then you can switch him to be first off the bench at C & PF.   If you're worried about your defense, then bringing Smart in off the bench may be a big improvement.
9/30/2013 10:32 PM
Thanks guys. Especially Rogelio.
10/1/2013 9:11 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.