All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > oriole_fan - Ratings Formulas in the Beta?
10/3/2013 9:00 PM (edited)
Given that the game has undergone a fairly substantial overhaul since it was first rolled out (and given that there is still work to be done) how well do you think the default ratings formulas used actually corresponds to the factors used in the game engine?  

I'm working on a new release of the GUESS reports (including adding the positional roles ratings to the reports) and I'd like to get your feedback on how "accurate" the ratings are as presented by the game.  (Obviously no one "rating" can tell the entire story, as different types of plays are utilizing different attributes with varying degree of importance.)
10/7/2013 8:34 AM
By the way - this is important not just for the GUESS ratings.  When we're trying to judge how well the engine is doing with regards to talent levels, those ratings are what we have to use - if those are "wrong" because of changes in how the code utilizes attributes, the criteria we are using to evaluate which team/players is "more talented" or "significantly more talented" or "even matched" is worthless.
10/7/2013 3:13 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 10/7/2013 8:34:00 AM (view original):
By the way - this is important not just for the GUESS ratings.  When we're trying to judge how well the engine is doing with regards to talent levels, those ratings are what we have to use - if those are "wrong" because of changes in how the code utilizes attributes, the criteria we are using to evaluate which team/players is "more talented" or "significantly more talented" or "even matched" is worthless.
+1
10/7/2013 4:06 PM
Good luck with this.  In early beta they would't tell us what went into the calculations in the debug pbp or even who was involved in the calculations.  Now they don't even show the calculation results in the debug pbp.  
10/8/2013 11:26 PM

Hopefully, Oriole can at least provide some directional feedback of how the changes affect the GUESS ratings system. I agree that they'll want to keep that close to the vest, but they should at least share thoughts if one or two of the weights by position are vastly over/undervalued.

10/10/2013 1:27 PM
Any word on this yet/
10/10/2013 6:35 PM (edited)

I've had some site mail discussions about ratings and the way things work in the engine. That's not to say I'm getting an inside look at the code, because I'm not.  But I should be able to not only contribute decent ratings formulas, but help with explaining in non-programmer terms how the stats are being used.  :)

Fortunately, the first class that reports under the new engine is Yost / Bryant so I've got some time to chew over the numbers and offer suggestions back to WIS on the ratings.

Even if we end up using the same formulas for ratings, the GUESS reports will continue to offer value adds like Team Ratings and Rankings, statistical distribution of recruits, etc.

10/11/2013 7:22 AM
I take it from that, then, that when can not trust the formulas in the beta Position Roles page.
10/11/2013 12:34 PM

The ratings for players - including position roles - was done before oriole took over the game, and there have been substantive changes to the way the engine operates.  I would say it's safe to say those ratings formulas will change.

As for position roles, it's important to remember that all they REALLY are is a different way to set your depth charts.  Players don't perform differently when they are in a role of "WR Speed" vs "WR Poss" - it's just a way to get different players on the field in different situations.

10/12/2013 8:01 AM
seems to me that if you are getting sitemails from developers regarding position roles and how the ratings work in the engine then you are getting an inside edge that the rest of us are not privy to.
10/12/2013 8:45 AM
I think boab is trying to make the guess reports as good as he can, since we all use them
10/12/2013 10:45 AM
Posted by bobprobert on 10/12/2013 8:01:00 AM (view original):
seems to me that if you are getting sitemails from developers regarding position roles and how the ratings work in the engine then you are getting an inside edge that the rest of us are not privy to.
Hey, have you seen my record? I need all the help I can get!!!

Seriously though, what I have gotten from oriole just serves to prove what I've said all along - no single "rating" can tell the whole story.  Attributes are used in varying degrees  - I haven't been told how much - and it depends on the action being taken.  For example, ATH plays a larger role in blocking on outside runs than it does on inside runs.  How much?  I haven't got a clue.  But let's say I give an OL's ATH attribute 25% in my ratings (just throwing out a random number) and you run inside all the time, where it's less important.  Then the rating won't reflect the way the player is being used.  It's stuff you already know intuitively but doesn't lend itself real well to saying "this OL scores a 69.3"

As for any insight on position roles - the ONLY THING position roles are used for are different ways to set your depth charts.  The engine doesn't care, apparently, if you are using WR SPEED or WR POSS for your second wide receiver.  In other words, it doesn't treat them any differently.  It just allows you to have more control over which players get on to the field.

All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > oriole_fan - Ratings Formulas in the Beta?

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.