Lowest RPI to not make the NT Topic

In determining NT teams, I am a proponent of the new projection report in lieu of the more RPI dominated formula used in the past.  However in Allen D3 I think they are getting one wrong (we are are the start of the conference tournaments so things can change), Hamline has an RPI of 26 and will probably miss the NT at-large bid being they are listed at 56 in the projection report.  The report lists the top 30 as locks, but more realististically the top 40-45 are locks.  So under the old RPI system they would be a lock, under the new projection system they will be out.

Just curious, what is the lowest RPI to miss the NT in RL and in HD?
10/7/2013 11:22 PM
About 4 seasons ago in Allen, Castleton St missed the NT because they finished the season under .500.  I'm pretty certain their RPI was between 20-25, but I don't remember the exact number when the tourney started.  No idea about real life though.
10/7/2013 11:31 PM
Best RPI to miss the tourny ever in real life is 21.  Best by a Big 6 team is 29 (Texas Tech).   (Texas Tech was apparently punished...So the worst Big 6 to naturally be left out is Oklahoma (33)). 

In separate news...Rails, you still play HD? 

10/7/2013 11:59 PM
I have only one team only (Carleton).  Not as passionate as I once was.  One minute a day as I have realized this is not real life and I will never be able to use success in HD on a resume that will actually benefit a real career. 

In this particular case, Hamline is 17-9 overall, so record not an issue.  What was the issue around #21 not making it, sol?  So if Hamline doesn't make it with an RPI of under 33, it could be said that at no RPI that low has ever been left out in rl under normal circumstances.

Again, I think it's an improved formula, but think they are getting this one wrong....
10/8/2013 1:34 AM
Personally, I'd hire someone who is successful at WIS.  Of course, their continued employment would hinge on how often they defeat my team.
10/8/2013 10:51 AM
Sensitive much?
10/8/2013 11:06 AM
Posted by Rails on 10/8/2013 1:34:00 AM (view original):
I have only one team only (Carleton).  Not as passionate as I once was.  One minute a day as I have realized this is not real life and I will never be able to use success in HD on a resume that will actually benefit a real career. 

In this particular case, Hamline is 17-9 overall, so record not an issue.  What was the issue around #21 not making it, sol?  So if Hamline doesn't make it with an RPI of under 33, it could be said that at no RPI that low has ever been left out in rl under normal circumstances.

Again, I think it's an improved formula, but think they are getting this one wrong....
I spend more than 1 minute a day on this site, and I realized the exact same thing. I think I'd like to master this damn game for some reason...and that winning a CHIP would be that sign for me. Why I have this viewpoint is so lost on me, but I can at least tell myself that there are other nerds like me out there who are doing the same thing. When I try to explain it to my friends, I tell them it's like World of Warcraft for sports nerds.
10/8/2013 1:59 PM
As much as this discussion has sidetracked, I'm actually wondering about my original post. Any observations?
10/8/2013 8:37 PM
10/8/2013 10:48 PM
Missouri State headed into tournament selection with a 20-8 record.  They had regular season losses to Arkansas, Creighton, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, Bradley, and Wichita State.  They lost twice to Wichita State.  They won their other conference games against Creighton, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, and Bradley. They lost in the first round of their conference tournament to Northern Iowa. 

The final records and RPI's (heading into tournament selection) of the teams they lost to were: Arkansas (22-9, 45), Creighton (19-9, 46), Northern Iowa (23-9, 35), Southern Illinois (22-10, 37*), Bradley (20-10, 25), and Wichita State (24-8, 19).

Despite their RPI of 21, all of the teams they lost to made the tournament, except for Creighton. 

* = Southern Illinois won the MVC tournament, getting the auto-bid

10/8/2013 10:59 PM (edited)
Good stuff sol.  Not unprecidented then.  You too Artie.  My post to Sol referred to me actually believing I was the real life coach of St. Olaf (inside joke to the three of us who were on the site back in the day when I jokingly contemplated using my HD experience for rl benefit ).
10/10/2013 11:27 AM
56 hoop_dreams 23-7 14-3 8-3 1-1 15-1   44 86 C Conf Champion
PI (2nd Round)

44 rpi here, This is Weber St. in Iba. I almost came unglued when I didnt make the NT. There were teams that made it that had weaker records and rpi's in the 60's BUT from BCS Conferences!
10/10/2013 12:40 PM (edited)
As a Missouri St alum ... I was at a gathering of fellow alums watching the CBS selection show.  After they had been through the 1st 3 brackets I remember someone saying ""those &^%$# are sending us out west!"  When we were not included in the final bracket ... after a good bit of shouting the gathering just kind of broke up.  If we as fans felt this bad ... I can't imagine how bad Barry Hinson & the players felt.
10/11/2013 2:24 PM
Posted by hoop_dreams on 10/10/2013 12:40:00 PM (view original):
56 hoop_dreams 23-7 14-3 8-3 1-1 15-1   44 86 C Conf Champion
PI (2nd Round)

44 rpi here, This is Weber St. in Iba. I almost came unglued when I didnt make the NT. There were teams that made it that had weaker records and rpi's in the 60's BUT from BCS Conferences!
That is sort of impossible to evaluate now, because we can't see who was beaten and lost to and who the opponents beat. RPI by itself does not mean a team is better, or even had a better season. Who you beat and lost to matters as much if not more than raw record.
10/12/2013 6:15 AM
Posted by sol_phenom3 on 10/8/2013 10:59:00 PM (view original):
Missouri State headed into tournament selection with a 20-8 record.  They had regular season losses to Arkansas, Creighton, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, Bradley, and Wichita State.  They lost twice to Wichita State.  They won their other conference games against Creighton, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, and Bradley. They lost in the first round of their conference tournament to Northern Iowa. 

The final records and RPI's (heading into tournament selection) of the teams they lost to were: Arkansas (22-9, 45), Creighton (19-9, 46), Northern Iowa (23-9, 35), Southern Illinois (22-10, 37*), Bradley (20-10, 25), and Wichita State (24-8, 19).

Despite their RPI of 21, all of the teams they lost to made the tournament, except for Creighton. 

* = Southern Illinois won the MVC tournament, getting the auto-bid

What about the teams they beat?
10/12/2013 6:19 AM
12 Next ▸
Lowest RPI to not make the NT Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.