Recruiting 2-Year Players... Topic

Does it tend to be easier to recruit players with only 2-years of eligibility remaining? I'm trying to balance my roster, so I need some, but I would guess most other established teams won't be interested in them? Should I expect an easier road to recruiting these guys? Thanks.
10/8/2013 2:38 PM
not if they have ability. Or, rather, you may have less competition, but in general I think its fair to say that less experienced coaches tend not to recruit jucos while many experienced coaches do, so the level of competition you face may be greater even if the quantity is lower. 

As for recruiting the 2 yr in general, there is no real difference in the mechanics from an engine standpoint. 
10/8/2013 2:55 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 10/8/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
not if they have ability. Or, rather, you may have less competition, but in general I think its fair to say that less experienced coaches tend not to recruit jucos while many experienced coaches do, so the level of competition you face may be greater even if the quantity is lower. 

As for recruiting the 2 yr in general, there is no real difference in the mechanics from an engine standpoint. 
Thanks, I appreciate the response...!
10/8/2013 3:10 PM
I think you get more competition for juco players who are on the list from the start because some people don't filter by year, so by default their higher ratings will show up at the top of people's search screens and attract attention. The good ones are almost always lightning rods for competition, even with higher division teams dropping down to grab at them. Transfer players that are released late in teh recruiting process (the cycle or two just before signings) you can sometimes steal on the cheap and easy because they escape notice.

It might take a little extra effort to get a guy fully considering and ready to sign with you...I usually toss in a minutes promise, which is failry low risk because chances are if you're grabbing a JUCO player it's because you plan on playing them from day 1. Giving 10 or 15 minutes per game is almost a given and for 10 bucks it's an easy, cheap high impact/low risk offer to make.
10/8/2013 4:47 PM
I have started going for jucos more and more since I'm gaining more experience and higher prestige. I would say if u have a low prestige u are going to have a hard time getting people and u might end up wasting ur money and getting a crap recruiting class.
10/8/2013 5:07 PM
Thanks guys.
I was surprised by the small amount of jucos that were available. This is my first season playing HD, and I have a team that right now has 7 seniors (plus 2 juniors and 3 freshmen). I want to balance my classes, so ideally I will take in this next "draft" three 4-year guys, three jucos, and leave the final spot for a walk-on who from what I understand will be able to be replaced the following season (giving me 3 guys also in that class).

Am I going about this the right way? Walk-ons can be replaced, right? Balanced classes of 3 each are a high priority for me, so that in time I'll be able to better avoid abysmal seasons. Also, one of my freshmen has a poor GPA and is sitting out another 9 games. If he were to not improve this semester, would he not qualify for next season? Is he off the team automatically? Or does he just hog a roster spot every year until he improves his grades?
10/8/2013 7:28 PM
walk ons automatically disappear after the season unless for some reason you give them a scholarship. I'm a superclass kind of guy, so I can't offer much help in the balanced class issue, other than to say don't be afraid to still use the red-shirt when beneficial just to avoid throwing off the perfect 3-3-3-3. 

The ineligible kid needs more minutes of study hall in your practice plan. I've never seen someone fail twice in a row. I do know that kids who fail the second semester come back eligible the next season, but they typically do not gain as much in off-season development as others to represent going to summer school to make grades. 

GL, and feel free to hit me up via sitemail if you have any specific questions. I'm overall just a fair-to-middling coach, but I'm pretty good at whipping teams into a high level of mediocrity, and from there the rest is up to you 
10/9/2013 10:03 AM
Also, remember there are usually a decent amount of 3 year jucos out there too. These are kids that were non-qualifiers the year before and went the juco route instead of reporting to campus. Most of the good ones are likely to have previously signed with someone, then changed their mind about actually reporting. Sometimes these kids begin recruiting showing considering the school they signed with, sometimes not. Check the FSS data, even the kids that don't show considering will show a FSS status just like if he ever had one (ie, if he ever was shown considering last season). If that's the case, be sure to check out that other school and their recruiting situation (how many openings, same coach?, need at this position, distance - these kids may have been local to that other school last season, but now they recruit from their juco location and could be hundreds or thousands of miles away, etc) before jumping in...
10/9/2013 10:08 AM
Also as you are rcruiting remeber that you lose all carryover $ if you carry a walkon. That could be critical the following year.
10/9/2013 12:16 PM
Recruiting 2-Year Players... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.