FTFY, WIS: 'Waiver Wire Reminder' Topic

Just because the offseason is over doesn't mean you have to stop trying to improve your club. The waiver wire is constantly changing as other general managers are busy making demotions and promotions that may require passing players through waivers. It's a great place to supplement your club with another club's surplus talent, after they receive unrecoverable ratings trauma! Yay...!

Say your starting 2B has to go to the DL for 15 days and you don't have much talent at AAA, you may be able to find a stop gap solution on the wire! There are currently 4 player(s) on the waiver wire including 1 pitcher(s), 3 position player(s) and 0 released players.
10/9/2013 5:57 PM (edited)
I hate when a player loses 1 point in contact.    KILLS THE PLAYER'S CAREER!!!!!!
10/9/2013 7:28 PM
Great set of ratings penalties. Sometimes I wonder if HBD is an experiment in social psychology to see how people might respond to constant, unreasonable deterioration as a result of doing normally enterprising things, and for which there is no reasonable recovery, and for which they pay.  (Why would I wonder that...?) 
10/9/2013 11:39 PM (edited)
Define "constant, unreasonable".
10/10/2013 7:11 AM
If a player gets waived, I don't think it's unreasonable for that player to lose some confidence, become frustrated, etc, and lose some ratings points.  You get to the big leagues, you're settling in, and then the team decides you're not good enough for their team anymore.  And then you might have to move to a new city.  People don't like change and being told they aren't good enough.
10/10/2013 9:11 AM
10/10/2013 9:25 AM
(I've said it before and I may just say it again... it's not really the ratings reductions that are the problem, it's the lack of a sensible rebound, at least for many cases, if they really chose to simulate baseball.)

And it's the case, whether a player is waived, goes through the Rule-5 process, is demoted, is sitting out as a free agent, or sitting on the bench... even the lack of a normal range of recovery common to many instances of ballplayers steadily improving as they play, after coming back from injuries....

In real life, players are often sent to the minors for improvement under increased playing time and coaching attention. In HBD, that is just not simulated to an appreciable degree; rather, it is more often detrimental over the long haul, to send a young player down.

It's kind of a bring-down, for a simulation we pay to play.

10/10/2013 4:33 PM (edited)
I've said it before and I will say it again, these minor hits are designed to make us THINK about what we're doing before we do it.  Additionally, it somewhat forces us to consider the ramifications of poor decisions while making us use a 25 man roster rather than a rotating band of 40.
10/10/2013 5:01 PM
I've watched movies made in the 30's, and EVERYTHING TURNS OUT OK!!!!!!!!
10/11/2013 9:12 AM
FTFY, WIS: 'Waiver Wire Reminder' Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.