Playoffs, a season early Topic

No matter how good the SEC is, Ohio State would deserve to be in the 4 team national playoff.

To make it simple: Every SEC team has a chance to win a playoff game called the SEC Championship game. That's your ticket in, if you didn't make it there or can't win there... why do you deserve to go to the national playoff for the National Championship? Even if it's a 1 loss Alabama, it means that they lost to South Carolina or Missouri & so they pretty much just lost a playoff game. If you didn't beat South Carolina or Missouri to cement your spot, why should they get another chance? There's zero reason for it, given that there's an undefeated Ohio State team out there that hasn't lost.
10/19/2013 1:06 AM
Are you seeking the 4 best teams or 4 teams with the best record?   That's pretty simple.
10/19/2013 6:27 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/19/2013 6:27:00 AM (view original):
Are you seeking the 4 best teams or 4 teams with the best record?   That's pretty simple.
The purpose is neither it is to find the 4 most deserving teams.  Now sure ideally the four most deserving will be the four best teams but that won't always happen.  Take 2009, Florida finished 5th and Boise State finished 6th in the final BCS standings.  Florida beat #3 Cincinnati and Boise beat #4 TCU in bowl games, but I imagine that both UC and TCU would have been in the playoffs at the expense of Florida (who was clearly the best team of those four).  There will be any number of years when that type of thing happens.  It is just the nature of the beast.  And for the record this happens all the time in the professional sports as well.  Where an 11-5 New England Patriots aren't in the playoffs and an 8-8 San Diego Chargers are. 
10/19/2013 11:43 AM

The NFL is not the NCAA.   So let's just toss any of that **** out the door right now.

IMO, the most "deserving" will be the best.   Plain and simple.    Teams are allowed to schedule their out of conference games, this is why NFL/NCAA is not relevant as NFL teams have no say in who they play, so, if they want to be deserving, they better have a few roadblocks.  Those roadblocks, or tests, can be in conference.   If not, the team needs to schedule one or two.    Who did OSU schedule?

10/19/2013 2:00 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/19/2013 2:00:00 PM (view original):

The NFL is not the NCAA.   So let's just toss any of that **** out the door right now.

IMO, the most "deserving" will be the best.   Plain and simple.    Teams are allowed to schedule their out of conference games, this is why NFL/NCAA is not relevant as NFL teams have no say in who they play, so, if they want to be deserving, they better have a few roadblocks.  Those roadblocks, or tests, can be in conference.   If not, the team needs to schedule one or two.    Who did OSU schedule?

When OSU set their schedule Cal was actually pretty good and the Big Ten should have been better than it is this year.  That is the downfall of scheduling years and years in advance, but since you are arguing about A&M, who did they schedule?
10/19/2013 2:37 PM
Well the Tennessee and Vanderbilt wins shed some light on the supposed elite teams in the SEC
10/19/2013 4:00 PM
I guess Auburn saw this thread as well.
10/19/2013 8:23 PM
and LSU looks awful thus far tonight (though it is still really early)

Maybe Bama and Missou are the only real good teams in the conference.

10/19/2013 8:23 PM
It might just be Alabama. I'm not sold on Mizzu yet. I do like Auburn though. Gus Malzahn's the friggin' man.

If any of those 3 loss teams are ranked in the Top 25, it'll be a joke.
10/20/2013 1:13 AM
I won't punish an SEC team for losing to another SEC team but I will adjust for playing poorly.

OSU did themselves no favors by being tied with mighty Iowa going into the 4th quarter.
SC was beaten by poor clock management and a spectacular catch.  That said, they shouldn't have been in that position.
GA is a shell of a team due to injuries.
I'm not sold on Mizzou but they're beating everyone in the SEC that they play.   Another test next week.
I'm not buying Auburn yet.
TAMU gave up 381 yards rushing.  Didn't see any of the game but that seems impossible.
3 INT by Mettenberger did in LSU but, again, they shouldn't have been in a position to lose that game.

Revised playoff:
Bama vs Stanford
Oregon vs. FSU

Miami, OSU and Mizzou on the outside looking in.
10/20/2013 9:32 AM
Oregon 59, Tennessee14

I'm sorry no supposed elite team should lose to Tennessee.  They just aren't very good.  Georgia nearly (and should have lost to them) the week before and SC did in fact lose to them this week.  That says all you  need to know about the SEC.

Alabama is great.  Missouri looks pretty good.  Outside of that, it appears the SEC may have been overhyped (it is still the best conference, but the gap doesn't appear that big).

Baylor may very well be the best team in the country.  Their offense is a thing of a beauty.  Need to see how they handle the meat of the Big 12 schedule though.
10/20/2013 11:04 AM
You'd put Stanford in with a loss to Utah, but two seasons ago you wouldn't put OK St in the Championship because they lost to Iowa St.

I'd put Ohio St in the 4th spot right now. If Texas Tech beats OU on the road this weekend they get the #4 spot.
10/20/2013 11:14 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 10/20/2013 11:14:00 AM (view original):
You'd put Stanford in with a loss to Utah, but two seasons ago you wouldn't put OK St in the Championship because they lost to Iowa St.

I'd put Ohio St in the 4th spot right now. If Texas Tech beats OU on the road this weekend they get the #4 spot.
Yeah that is just odd.  I mean Utah.  Utah is horrible.  Stanford is their only conference win, with 3 losses. 

The projected BCS standings from bcsguru are

1. Bama
2. FSU
3. Oregon
4. OSU
5. Missou
6. Baylor
7. Stanford
8. Clemson
9. Miami
10. UCLA

Seems about right to me.

10/20/2013 3:09 PM
Stanford, IMO, is one of the 4 best teams in the country.   Losing to Utah is  horrible but they bounced back to take down a top 10 team.
10/20/2013 3:24 PM
Voters were too sympathetic to Clemson. They got blown out... at Home.
10/20/2013 3:28 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...28 Next ▸
Playoffs, a season early Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.