STL vs. Better Ratings Topic

Simply, how big of a core ratings deficit should I be willing to live with in the interest of bringing in an STL/Tremendous Upside player rather than a High (but not STL) upside player.  Assume I'm willing to redshirt.  And would the answer to this question differ by position (i.e., maybe the STL potential is a bigger deal for a QB but Core Ratings are more important for a WR -- no idea if this is true I'm just spitballing).

Really appreciate any feedback as I'm new to GD but have played lots of HD and am not sure whether the calculus here is roughly the same.
10/18/2013 11:31 AM
OK, now that I've got my guy and don't have to worry about him getting poached I'll be more specific.  I just signed  Gridiron Dynasty - Football Sim Games - Recruit Profile: Bernard Graham in Rockne.  He has STL potential.  I chose him over several other QB's that had High potential and better ratings (I think their GUESS ratings were like 33/34 and Graham's is like 30/31.  Was this smart?  Is he a MUCH better option, worse, or about the same?  Does the fact that he's a QB affect the answer relative to another position.  I will definitely be redshirting him this year and since I don't have a much better option could start him as early as next year if that helps development.  Really appreciate any feedback that could inform how I use him as well as future recruiting.
10/18/2013 12:19 PM
His WE and Tech are horrific, even for DIII.  However, if you don't need him to start any time soon it will be a fun growth curve to watch.  He may be serviceable as a RS Sr...
10/18/2013 12:42 PM
Posted by clememp on 10/18/2013 12:42:00 PM (view original):
His WE and Tech are horrific, even for DIII.  However, if you don't need him to start any time soon it will be a fun growth curve to watch.  He may be serviceable as a RS Sr...
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd ever go after a guy with all of his cores in the 20's.

Even with 6-8 point yearly growth his SR scores would only be in the 40's
10/18/2013 12:45 PM
Posted by clememp on 10/18/2013 12:42:00 PM (view original):
His WE is a 53 -- did you mean his GI?  I thought the STL combined with the high WE might overcome that.  Appreciate the feedback.  I have 2 questions as a follow up:

1) Should I start him ASAP?  How much will that affect his improvement.
2) How much better would a guy with High potential have to be in the Core Ratings to be a better recruit than him?  Like an STL with cores of 30 vs. a High with cores of 35?  Which of those guys is better?  In HD I'd always go for the upside but it seems like improvements aren't as drastic in GD.
10/18/2013 1:26 PM
Given your current QBs (none of which are very good), I'd put a RS on this guy and start him every game.  That is the only way he will get to be SOLID when he is a RS Senior.

Your thinking is basically correct on high WE and STL overcoming High Pot and lesser WE, but it is a MATH problem.  You have to plot the expected growth curves, based on your plans to play the guy or not.

This guy would never have even gotten a look from me.  His TECH and GI do not meet my minimums for a recruit at D3.
10/18/2013 3:37 PM
Harris,

First, thanks.   That's all very helpful.

Second: I know my current QB's are terrible.  I'm in season 2 of a team that I inherited and that's just the way it was -- the guy I had as a senior last year was halfway decent but this year was gonna be rough no matter what.  

Third: It's funny, I intially didn't look at this guy at all.  I had a "Considering Us" from a QB who seemed better in every way but I had SO MUCH left over recruiting cash that I sent a few feelers out to see if I could find an STL.  Once I did it basically became a guessing game as to who the better signee would be -- ideally, I would have asked this question a few days earlier but didn't make/find the time to do so.  Oh well; the good news is my RB situation should be solid enough that I can build a running offense while this guy develops and hopefully open up the passing game a bit more his senior year.  It will probably take me that long to be decent at game-planning anyway.
10/18/2013 3:53 PM
I would have liked to see what the other QB's ratings were, especially their WE if they had high potential. I know a lot of people go crazy over STL but I've seen some high potential recruits have 60+ growth in a season because of their WE. I've also seen STL guys only gain 30-40 pts in a season. 

I had  a few decisions like this for my Louisiana team. I took some average potential guys with higher WE (50+) with similar ratings over guys with above average potential and lower WE (30-40). 

10/18/2013 10:19 PM
I just asked a similar question here about an STL OL that I recruited. And got similar answers..

If you can afford to RS him, and can afford to play him (over guys who are better) then you will have a guy who is probably pretty damn good by the time he is a RS Sr.

The question is always whether you sacrificed your team early on - growing him to get a good year out of him.
10/18/2013 11:39 PM
I like him. Good job.
10/19/2013 12:31 AM
RS him and then start him for 4 years. His cores are so low it almost negates the STL potential.
10/19/2013 1:01 AM
STL vs. Better Ratings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.