Each non-conference home game you schedule should add cash to your recruiting budget for the next season. Maybe 5 home games equals a scholarship. This would increase the benefit of scheduling home games in non-con and balance the RPI advantages of scheduling road games.
10/22/2013 6:52 PM
With how serious people take post-season money bonuses, I think this would just cause a lot of people to schedule 10 home SIMS. A road loss would be too costly, and would almost certainly lead to fewer human vs human matchups.
10/22/2013 6:57 PM
Posted by bro_lunardi on 10/22/2013 6:57:00 PM (view original):
With how serious people take post-season money bonuses, I think this would just cause a lot of people to schedule 10 home SIMS. A road loss would be too costly, and would almost certainly lead to fewer human vs human matchups.
Nope, because the RPI hit for doing that would be extreme. I like jet's idea.
10/22/2013 9:28 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 10/22/2013 9:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bro_lunardi on 10/22/2013 6:57:00 PM (view original):
Nope, because the RPI hit for doing that would be extreme. I like jet's idea.
If you took the time to schedule optimally, I'm sure you could minimize the RPI hit.  Two entire scholarships worth of money would be a huge advantage, and I would absolutely be willing to trade a marginal hit in RPI for that.  I like the idea though, would add another layer of complexity to scheduling 
10/23/2013 12:18 AM
cool idea, but way too exploitable. this is another idea that makes the rich richer. for the teams who rarely lose, your weighted wins are just not that relevant (10 home or 10 away games are 100% equal if you go undefeated). with A+ HCA so strong, strong teams could easily schedule 10 home games against top 100 rpi opponents who will help their projection report, and win them all. then if they lose a couple in conference, its really not a big deal. its going to hurt some but not that much. the 30k in recruiting, however, is worth a ton.

i also feel like this could make scheduling difficult, with many coaches simply not interested in doing anything but playing at home. this further helps the top teams, who can afford to drop from say a 1 seed to a 3 seed playing 10 sims, without too much hit to their deep NT run potential.
10/23/2013 6:02 AM
When I read "maybe 5 games equals a scholarship," I figured he meant five games equals $100 of recruiting money (after all, THAT is the cost of offering a scholarship), but apparently he meant an open roster spot rather than a scholarship.

If you got an extra $100 or something for five home games, then it doesn't have much impact. Giving money like you have another opening is FAR too much impact, though.

10/23/2013 8:49 AM
there could very easily be a workable scale, though: 

$1000 per home game at D1
$750 at d2
$500 at d3

It would create an interesting balance-- if you're in a SIM-ful conference at d3 and need extra recruiting cash, you've got to figure out how many home games is the right amount. Though I guess there's always an issue with this-- now the full conferences (at lower levels) would be able to add even more cash.

but at D1, do you really sacrifice (in Billy's example), the 1 seed for the 3 for $10K? Maybe you choose to go for the 2 seed and $6K? or something else in between. 
10/23/2013 8:58 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 10/23/2013 6:02:00 AM (view original):
cool idea, but way too exploitable. this is another idea that makes the rich richer. for the teams who rarely lose, your weighted wins are just not that relevant (10 home or 10 away games are 100% equal if you go undefeated). with A+ HCA so strong, strong teams could easily schedule 10 home games against top 100 rpi opponents who will help their projection report, and win them all. then if they lose a couple in conference, its really not a big deal. its going to hurt some but not that much. the 30k in recruiting, however, is worth a ton.

i also feel like this could make scheduling difficult, with many coaches simply not interested in doing anything but playing at home. this further helps the top teams, who can afford to drop from say a 1 seed to a 3 seed playing 10 sims, without too much hit to their deep NT run potential.
those are some good points.

i feel like there's a sweet spot in there that would help the just-below-elite teams. When a 1 drops to a 3, other teams jump up in their place and have that slightly higher chance of a deep tournament run, which is what you need to join the elites.

5 home games equaling and opening may be too much, understandable. perhaps $1k per opening is insignificant enough in recruiting for the top teams while enticing enough for them to handicap their NC hopes.
10/23/2013 10:05 AM
Depending on the world dropping from a 1 or 2 seed can be a huge benefit, talk to any team in Allen that's gotten a 780 overall ACC 8 seed in the 2nd round.
10/23/2013 10:13 AM
Does the projection report take in to account road vs home games?
10/23/2013 10:47 AM
Posted by cburton23 on 10/23/2013 10:47:00 AM (view original):
My question exactly.  
10/23/2013 10:55 AM
The projection report is based, in part, off RPI (and I would presume it's no small part of the calculus that goes into determining those rankings), so if no other way, home vs. away is inherent in the calculation of RPI, so it would also be present in the projection report.
10/23/2013 11:04 AM
Posted by rednu on 10/23/2013 11:04:00 AM (view original):
The projection report is based, in part, off RPI (and I would presume it's no small part of the calculus that goes into determining those rankings), so if no other way, home vs. away is inherent in the calculation of RPI, so it would also be present in the projection report.
I don't think thats the case though.  RPI and projection report are very different things.  The FAQ is out of date on the projection report so I'm not sure
10/23/2013 11:23 AM
seble did a good job on the projection report, so id hazard a guess that it almost certainly includes home/away in some way. i do think rpi is a factor in and of itself so theres that. i wonder if he included it in like, record vs top 100 calculations?
10/23/2013 11:28 AM
RPI, if a factor at all, is very small.  There is always some major disparities between RPI and projection standing, and it seems like, though not as much anymore, there is always somebody ******** about their projection standing vs their RPI.  I know because I have done it.
10/23/2013 11:46 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.