Recruiting with a D prestige…. Topic

I recently took over Lynn in Phelan because they are the school down the street from me in Boca Raton. Does anyone have any advice for recruiting with a D prestige? I have 4 scholarships and a little over $20k to work with. I am tentative to jump in on someone early and am just looking on some advice for the best way to handle this. Thanks! 
10/24/2013 10:42 PM
When I have high prestige I always jump early, pull people down, mark my territory and then sign the guys I want and even beat out some sims or humans with less spots open in the division above me.  With a low prestige you'll be able to see very few if any players from the level above you.  Granted while waiting for players to drop down higher prestige schools will be able to see them first.  I'd wait till after signings have started and then with less players unsigned in each state the scouting reports cost significantly less to purchase.  Which will allow you to scout a wider area for the same price, and find players with better overall potential/ratings.  It'd be really risky to jump on people early, because if any school with better prestige jumps on them as well you'd have to cut your losses and lose the money spent so far.   Juco player or two might not be a bad idea to try to win some more games faster and raise your prestige faster.  Good luck to you.
10/24/2013 11:22 PM
Does anyone know if there is a ceiling for the rating of recruits avaliable for a D prestige team in D1?  In other words only players rated 100 and worse are signable for example?  Can you pull down recruits in D1 at a D prestige?  Will recruits fall to you as recruiting continues?  (Much like the lower divisions)  Thanks!
10/24/2013 11:58 PM
There is a ceiling based on prestige for ranking I believe in D1, I'm not sure what it is, but I emailed recruits to see what the situations is.  I would think you'd be able to get well above 100 rated at each position recruits though.  Recruits can be pulled down for around 30 evals.  10 evals D3, 20 evals D2, 30 D1.  Seeing as people can be pulled down, I'd hazard a guess drop downs happen.  I didn't often venture crazy high for recruits based on prestige, as it's very easy to lose a recruit to someone with a higher prestige in D1.  When I had a D + prestige I remember signing people around rated 25th at there position or there about.
10/25/2013 3:42 AM
Posted by acroth2 on 10/24/2013 11:22:00 PM (view original):
When I have high prestige I always jump early, pull people down, mark my territory and then sign the guys I want and even beat out some sims or humans with less spots open in the division above me.  With a low prestige you'll be able to see very few if any players from the level above you.  Granted while waiting for players to drop down higher prestige schools will be able to see them first.  I'd wait till after signings have started and then with less players unsigned in each state the scouting reports cost significantly less to purchase.  Which will allow you to scout a wider area for the same price, and find players with better overall potential/ratings.  It'd be really risky to jump on people early, because if any school with better prestige jumps on them as well you'd have to cut your losses and lose the money spent so far.   Juco player or two might not be a bad idea to try to win some more games faster and raise your prestige faster.  Good luck to you.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write that. Do you think I should wait until signing starts to recruit anyone?
10/25/2013 9:49 AM
Thanks guys!
10/25/2013 9:50 AM
Posted by acroth2 on 10/24/2013 11:22:00 PM (view original):
this is solid advice except that prestige is not a big deal in d2/d3. i would try to get on good players available to me ASAP because they certainly go quick. in a different time, there were so many fewer totally useless players than there are today. it has really driven up competition for anyone decent, so i definitely recommend trying to get *some* players early.

it also used to be, without potential, a much closer correlation of talent with ranking (even the unranked players you cant see have a ranking, that decided where they fit in terms of d1/d2/d3 for each school). the recruit generation system and the player ranking system were designed to be closely correlated. when potential was added, the recruit generation system changed dramatically while the player ranking system was untouched. i think some coaches still get the idea they need to worry only about players a division up, drop downs and pulldowns. it used to be the case, and theres still a lot of quality old threads on the subject that reference that paradigm. but things have changed - now the optimal mix of recruits usually consists of players who start in your division, and some who dont.

as far as doing things early/late, heres the rule of thumb i would recommend. go for guys who start in your division early, and if you have at least a little experience with this game, you can immediately go for pulldowns within 200 or 360 miles, too, depending on your comfort level. wait on anyone over 360 miles and a good rule of thumb for newer coaches IMO is never go for more pulldowns early than half the # of scholarships you have to fill. this way you can try to get on guys early and scare other schools away, but you won't get yourself in trouble overreaching. 
10/25/2013 10:25 AM
Great advice from gillispie.

10/25/2013 12:38 PM
Thanks, Gillespie; I really appreciate your insight. One more question, what is the best way to go after a guy out of the gate since I have such a low prestige? Do I spend $3k on him right away to try and lock him down? I have 4 scholarships and a little over $20k
10/25/2013 3:14 PM
How gillespie plays it is pretty much how I play it, at least if I have lots of scholarships open. If there's anybody on my D2 list with good potentials, I hit them hard and fast. Other D2 schools are probably going to wait until they see what's up with the tops of their lists (and the dropdowns) before they hit somebody who's so far down he's on a D-prestige D2 list. So I wrap those guys up as quickly as I can.  2-3 HVs and a scholarship generally does the trick. I also send a phone call to anybody on the D1 list within 360 miles who looks interesting. After the 11 PM cycle the first night, you usually have a pretty good lay of the land--you know who's going after who. If I'm not already embroiled in a battle at this point, I then go for unclaimed pulldowns within 360 that are high on my board. 

I've been doing this pretty consistently when taking over new D2 or D3 programs, and I can pretty reliably get them into the top 25 in year three if I start with 5 or 6 scholarships. That's usually starting with C- prestige and not D, but I take it that the principle is the same. 
10/25/2013 3:38 PM
Thank you so much; I appreciate all of you guys helping me so much
10/25/2013 4:56 PM
Recruiting with a D prestige…. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.