Brand New and I'm facing a guy whose 34-1! Topic

So much to my dismay I'm encountering a player whose record is quite impressive.  I've never played before and while I have a general concept of things, I think I'm gonna need some extra help to have a shot at beating him.  I can start to recruiting tomorrow any tricks, tips, or hints on a way to grab a great player (most of the people I have added to watch are between 36-44 player role ratings, which I feel like is low even for a D-III school).  I've targeted recruits with the target traits for their specified positions and kept it local.  Any suggestions here would be great?

I also have a question about the practice plans. So If I have my QB set to 33 strength and 30 GI, what exactly does that correlate to. Will his stats go up by 33 and 30 or is it 33% of 10 split between categories?  Thanks for the help here as well!
10/25/2013 2:51 PM
First, I would recommend reading through the thread called "GD's Guide to the Game" pinned at the top of the forum.   There's lots of REALLY good advice there.

When you say practice plans --- you don't "set" QB strength or GI ?  Are you talking about the Position Roles page?  If so, those numbers are used for creating ratings for players, distributing 100 points across the attributes.
10/25/2013 3:25 PM
Do NOT expect to win against humans with solid records and several seasons of experience in your first season.  I'm not saying you won't win...I'm just saying do not expect it.

I learned quickly that this is not a video game which has reasonably equally talented teams.  It is a vast mixture of talent and you must learn how the game works.  With the new 3.0 engine rolling out, most coaches will be trying to figure it out, but overall, more talent on the roster will likely mean a victory.

Good luck and keep in mind that the GDs Guide to the Game is mostly outdated now, with the release of the 3.0 engine.  

10/25/2013 8:28 PM
I think there's still a lot of good information there though.  Just the link to damauler/vick's recruiting manifesto is invaluable. :)
10/25/2013 10:04 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 10/25/2013 10:04:00 PM (view original):
I think there's still a lot of good information there though.  Just the link to damauler/vick's recruiting manifesto is invaluable. :)
True!!!!
10/25/2013 10:06 PM
Agree with everything Harris and Bob Hazlewood said - read Vicks Manifesto and live it/learn it/love it. You picked a team that hasn't had a human coach and so it's going to take you a few seasons to build them up with good recruiting. Good news is you're in a great recruiting area, and other coaches have been very successful with McMurry.

We all started where you are, and if you are diligent, there's no reason why you can't have a strong team by your third season.

That's a lot of the fun in this game; taking a team, building them up, and making people fear you.. (Well that's my goal anyways)

10/26/2013 1:55 AM
Brand New and I'm facing a guy whose 34-1! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.