PSA - How to choose a decent world Topic

For the many owners out there who complain that they haven't the time to dedicate hours on researching which worlds are "good world" and which worlds are "tard worlds".

A few easy steps will help avoid getting stuck in a bad world.

1) Everyone has a different preference for what kind of team they are wanting to assume control of. I would use whatever method you currently use for this step. I won't elaborate here except to say I'd be leery of worlds with 8+ openings, because that means 25% or more of the previous season's owners left that world. Why?

2) Once you've found a team that speaks to you, ask how many openings does this world usually have? This can be found rather easily by clicking on the world's link and then going back a season. Look at how many teams do not have a * next to their owner's name. Those are owners who did not come back. I would go back 4 seasons and see what the average amount of openings they have had from season to season.

3) While doing step 2, also make a mental note of how many times you are seeing 110+ win or loss teams. A team can have a great couple of seasons, but 110+ should be rare and not the norm. Same with the losers. Repeated 110 loss seasons just means they will be a juggernaut in a few seasons when they are done "rebuilding", and have amassed 5 seasons worth of #1 picks and $20M IFAs.

4) Next you'll want to check the ALMANAC page. This can be found under "World Office"/"Stats/Awards". Almanac will be at the very bottom of the drop down menu. Do you see the same 3 or 4 teams consistently appearing in the WS, or is there some diversity in the teams you see listed?

5) Lastly you'll want to check how fast they get started from season to season. This can be easily accomplished by simply clicking on the latest ROY from that same Almanac page. Unless he was a stud IFA, he will probably have 4-5 pro years under his belt and that's perfect for this exercise. On that players profile page click on "Transactions". You should see several RED "Contract Renewal" lines. Each line has a date, and that is the date the world rolled. You should be looking for no more than say 3 and a half months from "Contract Renewal to "Contract Renewal" line. 

Here's an example.

27 7/14/2013 9:46 AM Pilots Contract Renewal
26 4/19/2013 4:32 PM Pilots Added to 40-Man Roster
26 4/8/2013 9:51 PM Pilots Contract Renewal
25 10/30/2012 9:59 PM Pilots Contract Renewal
24 7/23/2012 9:58 AM Pilots Contract Renewal
23 3/21/2012 5:58 AM Pilots Contract Renewal
22 1/28/2012 3:24 AM Pilots Drafted

So from S23 to S24 there were 4 months and 2 days. (A little excessive for my liking, but not terrible).
From S24 to S25 there were 3 months and a week. (I'd call this typical).
From S25-S26 there were 22 days short of 6 months. (I'd say BIG PROBLEM). (This means they sat waiting to fill for nearly 3 months).
From S26-27 there were a bit less than 3 months. (AWESOME).

Not surprisingly, this is one of the worlds still waiting to fill and still needing 10+ owners. You can see that they rolled back on 7/14, so they will be coming up on 4 months of waiting pretty soon.

I hope I've made this fairly clear, and please understand that while it may look like it will take a bit more time than you wanted to invest, consider the alternative may be spending 3 or 4 seasons building a team only to have the world stall for months.
WELL WORTH THE LITTLE EXTRA TIME!!
10/30/2013 2:11 AM
If you don't have time to do this, or something similar, you probably don't have time to play HBD.
10/30/2013 9:32 AM
The tip about checking the transaction history for the ROY to get an idea of rollover delays is very clever.  And extremely helpful. 

Well done, mchale.
10/30/2013 9:50 AM
Yea, #5 is brilliant
10/30/2013 10:12 AM
A very streamlined process!  Nice tips.

I said TIPS!
10/30/2013 12:10 PM
Today is not the day to offend anybody with a post, iaiaiaiaiaiaiaian.
10/30/2013 12:14 PM
bump for yoijames
11/7/2014 4:54 PM
bump for arcticlegend
2/22/2015 1:24 PM
I like to kill time by seeing which worlds have rolled the fastest on average.  My method is to go to the world center page, under the active worlds tab, and sort by season, from highest to lowest.   Hover your mouse over the world names, and down at the bottom of the screen (in chrome), you'll see the world's URL, at the end of which is the world's ID #, which is also the order of creation of that world (Ruth is world ID # 2, newly merged Happy Jack/Boggs is world ID # 206).  The worlds that have the highest combination of seasons played (tiebreaker is less games remaining in the season) and ID # are the fastest rollers.  Fast rolls indicates a couple of things to me:  Happy campers and a diligent commish.  I've been trying to move Yaz up that ranking ever since I took over as commish.
2/22/2015 2:16 PM
Posted by shobob on 2/22/2015 2:18:00 PM (view original):
I like to kill time by seeing which worlds have rolled the fastest on average.  My method is to go to the world center page, under the active worlds tab, and sort by season, from highest to lowest.   Hover your mouse over the world names, and down at the bottom of the screen (in chrome), you'll see the world's URL, at the end of which is the world's ID #, which is also the order of creation of that world (Ruth is world ID # 2, newly merged Happy Jack/Boggs is world ID # 206).  The worlds that have the highest combination of seasons played (tiebreaker is less games remaining in the season) and ID # are the fastest rollers.  Fast rolls indicates a couple of things to me:  Happy campers and a diligent commish.  I've been trying to move Yaz up that ranking ever since I took over as commish.
That's great for a historical perspective, but some of these worlds have been around since 2006.

They could have been awesome for 7-8 years and now they aren't so much.

The method I describe looks strictly at the last 4-5 seasons, which is much more relevant in choosing a world to actually join today.
2/22/2015 6:17 PM
PSA - How to choose a decent world Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.