Oriole - Need attention paid to INT's & Yd/Catch Topic

Oriole, I took a look at a few stats in the new engine (Dobie, to be precise) and found a few things you may want to look at:
1) INT's - I compared the Top 25 D1 QB's in real life versus the Top 25 QB's in Dobie D1 and found that the INT % is less than half of what is occurring in real life.  Among the top 25 D1 QB's, 2.1% of passes attempted are intercepted, versus 0.8% among the top 25 QB's in Dobie.
2) TD % - We also are seeing far fewer TD passes, with only 4.2% of passes thrown for TD passes, versus 6.3% in real life D1 (again I'm looking at the top 25 QB's).  Think this is prevalent across all levels, as in my D1AA Yost conference (A-10), the league leader had 15 TD passes.  Wonder if the engine is creating more incomplete passes thrown into the endzone.
3) Yds/Catch - Similar to TD's, we're seeing lower yards per attempt.  Top 25 QB's in real life average 8.2 yards per attempt, versus Dobie D1 at 6.2 yards per attempt.
4) Sacks - It does appear that pass protection is more difficult, resulting in slightly higher sacks.  Within Dobie, we're seeing higher sacks per game across each level (comparing top 25 teams in sacks in real life across levels, versus each Dobie level.  Here's how they compare:
               Top 25          GD               % Diff
D1          2.57               2.92               +12%
D1AA     3.11               3.38               +8%
D2          3.39               3.57               +5%
D3          3.36               4.06               +17%

Doesn't appear to be a huge issue in sacks, but something to watch out for if sacks per game deviate too much off the 6-7 per game.
11/18/2013 11:04 PM
Looks like the fix to make up for the huge yard/pc in DI went too far.
11/19/2013 12:00 AM
Good info sheet! 
11/19/2013 12:01 AM
This is exactly the kind of info that we should be providing to the community and to the developers.  Great job chetty!!
11/19/2013 9:50 AM
Excellent analysis!  I wonder what sort of impact a higher % of human teams would have on this comparison though.  Anyhow, this is exactly the sort of issue that should have been worked out in beta rather than, you know, the ability of some players to catch passes....
11/19/2013 9:55 AM
Excellent, Thanks Chetty.

Currently some of the number adjustments have consequences on other aspects of the game, so I don't have a method to just change some of the numbers. I'll see what I can do about making them line up a little more with reality without screwing up other aspects of the game. Thanks for putting in the effort and looking this up.

11/20/2013 10:45 AM
While we can't see it from the PBP, I would bet that where interceptions ARE occurring, it's in the long / deep zones.  I bet low INTs are a by-product of high completion rates for very short and short passes.

11/20/2013 12:02 PM
Oriole - Need attention paid to INT's & Yd/Catch Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.