ODL - Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

rebounds don't diminish - it's a H2H thing you either have more or he does....
12/5/2013 2:24 AM
of course minutes do...
12/5/2013 2:26 AM
I really like what you're doing, Malone.  I've never been to crazy about spoon, but the entire picture together is a beautiful nightmare for the rest of us.
12/5/2013 2:32 AM
i kinda think it looks like a jalopy: used parts, and a crank needed to start the engine. howard is gonna stall out here. i just don't see the dimes.
12/5/2013 3:25 AM
i've always wanted to draft kirilenko in the odl, but i always miss out on him. this year he comes to me in the 5th round. i suppose it has something to do with it being 2013, on the verge of adding the 2014 stats to an already burgeoning collection of great NBA talent. 

leagues like this and the 52, the winning difference is becoming finer and finer as the talent pool grows. can the sim engine keep up with the savvy owners or spit out another slew of strange streaks and make-believes?  
12/5/2013 4:50 AM (edited)
i guess i'll pontificate a bit more here... wis teams through my eyes... being in china, i do not get to enjoy the nba live and on tv. i could order some package and receive games but the pace of life here isn't conducive for tv. something you would have to experience to understand. given that, there is also the mechanical and analytical approach most of the great owners take when they enter wis teams.

lots of %'s, formulas and strategies employed all backed up with discussions, debates and an occasional heated disagreement (happens usually when an owner mixes up reality with sim "reality").

i used to be a great owner. won a bunch of rings in my first and 2nd year. then the rings slowed. the 4th engine tweak was that huge def reshuffling/downgrading (and position efficiencies changed)  when players like russell and wilt got haircuts or a certain PF (undrafted as of yet) could no longer be played at the sf position. when this 4th change occurred (not to mention the numerous salary changes), the dynamics of team building came more into play and great owners adapted and attacked the changes with creativity in formulas and sound reasoning. in other words, competition. winning is a high. consistent winning can alter your self-image.

but i live in china, and wis brings me in closer to the memories i had when i was a sports fan. i seem to prefer, even though i know i shouldn't, to build teams from "feel" rather than insight (lol). that's one of the reasons i like natenoy when he first came on the scene. remember? that kid (guy) would jabber non-stop in the forums, how kobe would work with west and jabbar (or something) while the other owners would be befuddled and shake their heads. nate was a gas. he seemed to defy conventional logic and built teams the way he saw.

then he started winning. haha. he's still a lunatic and talks more than ever, but he carved himself a place at the table. and now he is the defending odl champ. but alas, he has sold out. cast off his cloak of innocence and has started spouting %'s and formulas, the mumbo-jumbo stuff that makes me yawn.

however, there are still some owners who build teams because they feel right, coach comes to mind, perhaps there is a bit of that in dh and tar, as well. i don't really know the "feel" guys... but there aren't that many i would guess. perhaps you can find us by the numbers of rings we haven't won lately (except tar and dh).

in conclusion, if you want to win, don't use "feel" as your gage, but if you really do not want to win, draft Bridges!

12/5/2013 4:31 AM (edited)
Scud, fun read.

Of course, with anything, if you do something long enough - "feel" replaces "data"

You might google map your first commute to work but eventually you find secret time saving techniques and find a route that is best.

That said, the great great thing about this game is even if you are the best number cruncher in the world---it can be for naught if you are counting the WRONG thing. Wrong is a strong word , but for example, as ash pointed out, RL FTA rarely come to fruition in the sim so if you are projecting a certain TS% you might be let down. Personally I do have a "formula" I try and use to assign each player a total score. It is pretty good and works for me enough of the time. But tweaking it and putting new squads out is definitely a high and as you say scud, winning is everything.

If you took away the WI-FI, if you took away the keyboard, if you took away the spreadsheets? What would you have left?

everything
12/5/2013 7:41 AM
including cyber-memories... hmmm
12/5/2013 9:30 AM
mmm... delicious cyber memories
12/5/2013 9:34 AM
Bill Russell 68-69 u11.4 e43.3 o11.5 d26.1 a12.6 def 90
Emeka Okafor 07-08 u20.7 e53.5 o10.6 d26.1 a3.6 def 51
Marques Johnson 77-78 u21.4 e53.1 o10.3 d20.0 a7.2 def 74
Toni Kukoc 95-96 u21.4 e54.6 o6.0 d11.0 a16.1 def 50
Anfernee Hardaway 95-96 u25.5 e54.9 o4.9 d8.1 a23.9 def 83
David Lee 06-07 u15.2 e60.0 o13.3 d26.8 a8.4 def 40
Mike Miller 05-06 u21.5 e55.7 o2.2 d17.9 a12.8 def 44
12/5/2013 9:41 AM (edited)
good stuff scud-

I am definitely a 'new guy.'
and I am in the feel category.... but I want to win, so I listen and listen and listen some more-

about the % of x and % Y, and advanced statistics,
the coefficient of the maritime configuration of Gibraltar blah blah snooze,
and 'there is only one way to skin this cat', etc etc.
and 'this guy is an idiot !!!', and 'that guy doesn't know this sim !!!'.,
and' I have a championship to prove it!!!' and "SABLE SABLE SABLE !!! etc. etc.

all great stuff and highly entertaining -

but this is much more of an exercise in mathematics and statistical manipulation than in knowing basketball.

Its much more an exercise in number crunching, and an owner with experience
in working Sudoku would benefit more so than a guy brilliant in his knowledge of the game of basketball
or being able to evaluate basketball talent.

I grew up a basketball and sports geek hooked on
Strat-omatic & Avalon Hill & APBA games,

so I love this sim. and WIF -
I could have only dreamed about his during my childhood - great stuff in my opinion

12/5/2013 2:32 PM
If your looking for feel owners, I am a leader of the pack!!  I cant be bogged down with all the formulas, but I do pay attention and make mental notes, but I just try to build a team that has a balance so that every player maximizes what they do.  My goal is to have all my players play above there RL averages.  Crunching numbers gives me headaches.  But I have managed 8 titles on common sense alone.  

12/5/2013 6:44 PM
i think once youve played long enough you sort of develop a feel that always trumps number-crunching...im not a numbers guy(well not compared to some of you guys) but i did try to follow a "formula" when i first started playing so i would win...things like drafting a ton of 3s, use sfs that can rebound, always use rodman when given a chance...basic stuff i learned from reading evals from scud and ash and others...but as you play more, you start to figure out what and who works well in the sim and then you can really start to get creative with team building

btw...scud...check out my 52 team...you might find the name familiar....
12/5/2013 7:10 PM
Blue Barons

Name Team Pos Usage% 2pt%# 3pt%# eFG% OReb% DReb% Ast% Stl% Blk% Def.
Mark Price 89-90 Cavaliers PG 22.8 48.4 41 53 2.6 7.3 30.4 1.8 0.1 47
Michael Jordan 88-89 Bulls SG 32.1 55 28 54.6 5.1 16.4 22.8 3.1 1.1 90
A.C. Green 88-89 Lakers PF 17 53.2 23.9 53.2 11.4 19 4.7 1.5 1.2 80
Bill Walton 77-78 Trail Blazers C 24.5 53 30.5 52.9 6.3 32.9 16.7 1.2 4.1 90
Mel Daniels 71-72 Pacers C 21.4 50.9 0 50.5 13 27.5 6.7 1.3 3.3 56
              38.4 103.1 81.3      

12/5/2013 7:56 PM
I still build teams from players I like..and I have to be the worst owner wrt reverse-engineering off RL concepts. I always consider "what if"...
12/5/2013 8:36 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...13 Next ▸
ODL - Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.