I've always been fascinated by Joe Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak. Outside of ridiculous inning-reliant pitching stats (500 IP, 50 wins, etc.) it seems to be the safest record in MLB. Especially when you add in expanded bullpens, R/L specialists, hitting streaks are tough to come by, even in WiS.
I hope to create a theme conducive to the hitting streak without being a cartoonish all-offense league (not that there's anything wrong with that, I love those leagues too). The goal will still be to create a competitive, winning team as always - but within the following streak-freindly parameters:
(max of $55m for pitching staff
: in order to help ensure balls are being put in play:
- all batters' AVG must be within 60 points of their OBP (i.e. .300 hitter, max of .360 OBP. .340 BA has a max .400 OBP, etc.)
- all batters' strikeouts per 100 AB must be <= 15
- all batters' walks per 100 PA must be <= 12
- NO restrictions of fielding/range grades - (honestly I don't know how to quantify the effects of A+ range anyway, and there are enough other restrctions to ensure offense)
: also to help ensure contact is being made while allowing for quality pitchers (i.e. these rules won't force you to use bums, but maybe some pitchers you don't typically use):
1. all pitchers must have a max of 5.00 strikeouts per 9IP
2. all pitchers must have a max of 2.00 walks per 9IP
3. all pitchers must have a minimum .225 OAV
You can only choose parks that have a factor of 1.05 or higher
NO CLONES, INJURIES, AAA, WW, TRADES OR LIVE REQUIREMENTS
YES TO DH
* I am going to ask owners to set Intentional Walks to "Never" - there's no way to enforce that of course....
I will contribute the league founder's credit to any owner who produces a player with (EDIT) the longest hitting streak. (in the event of a tie, the prize goes team record).
12/3/2013 4:36 PM (edited)