I play in Stagg and was wanting to build a team that ran a spread style offense (trip sets, medium throws, outside running). However, I've had to adjust to a run focused offense for one reason: the QBs to recruit are terrible. There seems to be one team in my conference that knows how to find the good recruits. I'm 7-4 this season (first season with the new engine robbed me of a couple games early on), and finished with 9 wins and a loss in the CC last year (to the aforementioned team). Is this simply vision, or is it always difficult to find a QB in D-III that can pass something other than gas?
11/27/2013 12:00 PM
At the DIII level, competent passers almost always have to be developed. No one is going to be good out of the gate. Look for a guy with good cores and good potential, give him a redshirt, and by his RS sophomore or junior year, he should be ready to play.
11/27/2013 12:11 PM
100% look at the cores that you want in your spread. I try to run a spread offense as well and looking at a couple of guys with real good ath spd and we. Ill RS him and let the game plan stuff work going forward.

Dont be fooled by Overall number
11/27/2013 12:35 PM (edited)
Thanks for the advice. I think I got trapped thinking that I'd find a freshman starter at QB. Most recruits I'm looking at though (looking at STR, T, WE, and GI which are all high for my position role) seem to all have at least 1 that is in the 10-15 range. I'll just pick my poison and hope they develop well. 
11/27/2013 12:39 PM
I mean if your going to stay around and the freshmen is the best fit for the offense then hes the best fit. For me I was lucky enough to have 2 on the roster that could atleast middle though a year or 2 while I RS the QB. Game takes a lot of tinkering so dont get frsutrated when quick results dont happen
11/27/2013 1:51 PM
In the last 27 seasons at D3, I've been through 10 Starting QBs.  Only 3 of them have been 4 year starters.  All the others have been 2 year starters.  All of them but the first one got a RS.  When I started recruiting good QBs...I started winning. (of course, that was the same time I actually learned how to recruit....)

Pick the best recruits and then FIGHT for the ones that you really need.  Some seasons the QB pool is rather low.
11/27/2013 1:58 PM
Recruit and RS a QB every other season. Rarely 4 year starters were any good their 1st 2 seasons, they were just the best option that were available at that time. Case in point:  Gridiron Dynasty - Football Sim Games - Player Profile: James Brown
11/27/2013 2:30 PM
I feel like this is still a holdover from JConte's bewildering decision to make QB recruits terrible. I would like to see the QB talent pool in d3 improved. I don't think it makes any sense to force teams to redshirt and stockpile QBs by rule. There should be a few guys who are good enough to start as freshmen or at least play two years without a redshirt.

Most college teams don't play a lot of underclass men on the OL either, and yet that crop is full of quality recruits every year.
11/28/2013 12:39 AM
And DB's need to be upgraded for this new 3.0.
11/28/2013 1:42 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.