1980-81 NFL Franchise Progressive Discussion Page Topic

YES
12/6/2013 9:08 PM
I like this idea.
12/6/2013 9:46 PM
Posted by ddprime on 12/6/2013 8:32:00 PM (view original):
In most cases it probably would be worth it, but I think it would depend on how high a draft pick the team had that year.

Also, I was wondering if it would make more sense to say that the franchise player must have played the majority of his career with your franchise (as opposed to starting his career with it). For example, Curtis Martin is the Jets' all time rushing leader, but he played 3 years with New England before coming to New York. Even though he didn't start his career with the Jets, I consider him more of a Jets franchise player than a Pats franchise player.
Yeah that point was also raised by glen. Favre is another good example. He was drafted by the Falcons but obviously would fit in as a Packer much better.

We would need a clear cut way to determine which franchise should get first rights because there would surely be some players who wouldn't be as cut and dry as Martin or Favre. I don't know if most games played, most seasons, or most yards would be the best measure but some type of objective measure would need to be decided on beforehand.
12/7/2013 2:29 PM
I think any of those would probably work, or maybe the player would need to have played at least 75% of their career (based on game, seasons, etc.) with one team to qualify as a franchise player. That would mean that journeyman players who played for a number of teams would not qualify as a franchise player. Another idea could be that any player who is the career leader in passing/receiving/rushing yards for a particular franchise could be selected by that team as a franchise player regardless of whether they would have otherwise meet this cutoff.
12/8/2013 1:44 AM
How about something as simple as he must have played at least 5 full seasons for your team?  Due to the relative shortness of NFL careers, that limits most players to just one franchise.  Even a guy like T.O. only played 5 seasons for 1 team -- the 49ers.  It's rare to see someone worthy of the above criteria that played more than 5 years with multiple teams.  Eric Dickerson comes to mind:  5 with the Rams and then 5 with the Colts.  In a case like that, it would just be first come first served.
12/9/2013 7:31 AM
democolson
To:
neabaseball
Received:
12/7/2013 9:49:00 AM
Subject:
RE: NFL Franchise Progressive League
This is a good idea and I favor...even if I will need help with the math :-)
12/9/2013 5:06 PM
maskman46
To:
neabaseball
Received:
12/6/2013 4:55:00 PM
Subject:
RE: NFL Franchise Progressive League
Id say no.perhaps i wish to draft different
12/9/2013 5:07 PM
Looks like most (but not all) that have replied are in favor of the change to keeper a future franchise player.  I will come up with a firm proposal and send it out for an official vote.  I want a 2/3rds majority from committed owners in order to inact this change (not voting is the same as a "no" vote).  I won't vote so based on current # of committed owners, that'd be 13/19 necessary to change it.  If any new owners sign up prior to the decision being finalized, then they will be asked to vote as well.  I will work on a proposal to send out.  We can slice and dice specific rules until the cows come and will ultimately cause us to get bogged down and lose momentum.  Therefore, I will come up with a proposal and it will be a simple YES/NO vote on that proposal. 
12/9/2013 5:14 PM
Preliminary Alignment Plan for the League

AFC East

1-Jets
2-Colts
3-Bills

AFC Central
1-Bengals
2-Oilers
3-Steelers
4-Browns

AFC West
1-Seahawks
2-Chargers
3-Chiefs
4-Raiders

NFC East
1-Redskins
2-Cowboys
3-Eagles

NFC Central

1-Bears
2-Lions
3-Vikings

NFC West
1-Rams
2-49ers
3-Falcons

12/10/2013 3:50 PM
Been super busy and cptr at home on the fritz....I will send out the proposal asap but might be Sunday.
12/13/2013 7:30 PM
On the last sitemail regarding the FFP change.....so far 8 owners have responded and 6 said yes and 2 said no.  We will see what happens in the next few days and then proceed from there.  Also, we have 14 owners who have officially confirmed that they are still in and 6 owners who haven't responded at all.  If we can confirm at least 20 owners, we could consider proceeding as I've had at least 4 owners (including me) say they would take a 2nd team from the opposite conference to get us going.  No matter what, let's get through the holidays and into early January.  I may be out of town that first weekend in Jan with no internet access so at the earliest I see us starting the draft on Monday Jan 6th.
12/20/2013 12:08 PM
Is there still any life left here??
12/30/2013 4:14 PM
What was decided?
1/1/2014 10:33 PM
Nothing decided
1/2/2014 11:29 PM
???????????????????
1/14/2014 1:00 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
1980-81 NFL Franchise Progressive Discussion Page Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.