The right kind of coach Topic

My team was lucky enough to pick up Denny Molitor in the amateur draft this season.  He looks to be a solid SP2 or maybe even an SP1.  The only hitch is his worthless 5th pitch.  I'm going to try to sign a minor league coach who can get him to drop it.  Anybody know what ratings I should look for in the coach?  High patience?  High discipline?
12/4/2013 10:37 AM

Do you want him to drop it, or develop it into the 20s? Because there's more than one pitcher on more than one league leaderboard for WHIP with a pitch in the high teens or low 20s.

12/4/2013 11:04 AM
Bart Sierra asks "why you hatin'?"
12/4/2013 11:06 AM
Alex Neives  Here's a guy w/ a pitch at 2....I've always wondered how much better he'd been if he dropped it....
12/4/2013 5:40 PM
Nieves would've been a beast if it hadn't been for that terrible pitch.  Would anybody who is not directly competing against me in the same division like to offer up some suggestions?  I've seen players who have dropped the offending pitch.  How did you GMs make that happen?
12/5/2013 4:12 AM
A good coach.
However, Mike has said he's never seen a P drop a pitch above 10.
I've seen it once, but the guy started the season at an 8, got up to an 11, and then it was gone the next season, so I don't think that contradicts what mike was seeing.

Your guy starting at an 11 will be interesting to keep an eye on...
12/5/2013 8:13 AM
I think the issue is, at which number is a fifth pitch detrimental over helpful?
I believe that there isn't one answer because it's tied directly to pitch calling.
12/5/2013 8:23 AM
Posted by deathinahole on 12/5/2013 8:23:00 AM (view original):
I think the issue is, at which number is a fifth pitch detrimental over helpful?
I believe that there isn't one answer because it's tied directly to pitch calling.
This is a good question and answer. Also consider that a really high 5th P is only 50ish., unless you've got a P line out of whack like (83,74,42,36,68) Otherwise I've NEVER seen a P5 higher than mid fifties. 

That said, I can't imagine any rating in the teens being helpful.
12/5/2013 8:38 AM
I don't know. 5th pitch in the high teens, or no fifth pitch at all?

I really don't know. I personally would lean toward the former IF I had a defensive catcher as my starter.
12/5/2013 2:03 PM
No way to know and no one who does to tell us.
12/5/2013 7:44 PM
Flipping through my minor leagues, I just came across an interesting case.  It's a pitcher who had a 5th pitch rated 17, then dropped the pitch altogether, only to re-develop it when he DITR'ed.  That pitch is now a 3.
12/8/2013 7:53 PM
The right kind of coach Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.