Don't understand the WIS ranking structure... Topic

Take McMurry, who was ranked 74 and played a top 25 team today and lost, lowering their record to 2-6.  When their opponent's SOS is figured into the schedule, they actually somehow rise to be ranked 70th.

My team, Bowdoin, was ranked 53rd, beat Trinity handily and because my opponent's SOS was low, my SOS fell, and so did my ranking, to 66th.  And, my team lost to #16 Moravian, but beat #24 Williams, earlier in the season.  We've won five in a row, but it all might as well be for naught when compared to other teams, like the team just four positions down from me, 2-6 McMurry.

I thought the whole deal with figuring in SOS was cured with the spread.  That way, if a team is 8-0 is playing a team ranked 223, the spread can even out the ranking structure when you compare one team to another.  So, if the spread for our hypothetical 8-0 team is 23.5 points, and they beat the other team by 35, they should either keep their ranking or rise a couple of notches.  The way the SIM seems to do the math, our hypothetical team might drop 23 positions in the rankings because of their opponent's SOS.

I know I have complained about this in a couple of the leagues I am in, but it just doesn't make sense to me.  When I was losing, my team was rising, but now that we're winning, my team keeps sliding down the rankings, and I just don't think it's right.  If a team handily beats the spread, then that team shouldn't be penalized for their opponent's SOS.
12/9/2013 5:03 PM (edited)
I am just trying to adapt to the system, which for me, is to rarely schedule cream puffs, and instead, to schedule the highest ranked teams that I can confidently beat.  I try to avoid any team ranked 150 or lower.  Any thoughts out there?
12/31/2013 9:36 AM
Yes , it looks like scheduling Sims now is a crap shoot . They are so unpredictable . As far as spread goes , I don't pay attention to it . SOS is the biggest impact on rankings .
I try to schedule Sims with winning records .
1/4/2014 10:10 PM
Don't understand the WIS ranking structure... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.