Shooting guard? Topic

Could this guy do a passable imitation of a division two shooting guard?

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2549834

Has less speed and less bh than I usually prefer for one, but with that combo of lp and per, it would seem like he could still do some damage.

Yes, I know he might make a better sf, but there is another player I am putting there. Anyone ever use a similar player at sg in d2 successfully before?
12/9/2013 6:31 PM
I had success with a guy similar to that a pretty long time ago, but I was playing zone. I think the pros outweigh the cons, although he hurts a bit defensively. 
12/9/2013 7:03 PM
He'll be fine against average teams. He will be a liability in the tournament.
12/10/2013 6:28 AM
After thinking about it a little more.   I think he is a good to very good back up.   Most (even the good ones) teams backup guards have less than stellar defense.  

He doesn't match up real well with a traditional scoring guard  but he should out score all but the very best reserves or someone who games plan to stop him.
12/10/2013 9:40 AM
He'll definitely be a very good backup. I had a backup SG last year in Allen with sub-60 SPD and ATH, 65 BH, and 50 P who averaged 15 PPG. He did have better PER (98) and DEF (85) but less LP (20) and REB (1). 

I also had a SG in Knight last year who was very similar to this guy except with 90 BH, 75 DEF, and only 30 LP who averaged 16 PPG as a starter on a Sweet Sixteen team
12/10/2013 12:35 PM
I think the guy is a good all-around player who might best fit as a backup at both SG and SF (provided you have better options to start at both of those spots). Sure, you'd like more speed out of a SG, but you can't always get the exact ratings you want in spots 1-12 in your lineup.  This guy should do just fine.
12/10/2013 2:43 PM
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=13170

Question is, who is the better starter at sg?
12/10/2013 6:52 PM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 12/10/2013 6:52:00 PM (view original):
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=13170

Question is, who is the better starter at sg?
There isn't one. That guy is a decent starter on a pretty good team (what your team should be, maybe 1st round NT exit).
12/10/2013 7:17 PM
you kind of have to start Rossi, though I would much prefer him as a backup, where he will be a lot more effective going up against other teams' reserves. 

However, your other options at SG are very subpar, so starting him there is the best option. 
12/10/2013 11:13 PM
I don't always buy in to the theory that a player will do much better against another team's reserves. I'm sure it's true against most sim teams and a few poorly recruited and/or coached human teams. However, if a human recruits well 1-12, the drop off to his backups should be mostly due to the difference between upperclassmen and the others. Yes, upperclassmen generally have higher ratings and obviously higher IQs, so there IS a difference - but on good teams I don't know that it's vast enough for a guy to have much better numbers.

Plus, add to it that substitution settings (and the way the sim makes subs) aren't always the same, and you don't always have him facing the backup guys anyway. Their starters may play more minutes than yours or may swap in and our more or less frequently than yours. I guess what I'm saying is the matchups may not favor your guy even if the talent does.

12/11/2013 2:20 PM
It's not hard to figure out a rotation and see where the bad defender is playing.   You just need to spend some time checking the play by play.

Stanley Alam whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx  

Frank Hoots whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx

Those guys scoring efficiency is based more or less solely on the fact they  come off the bench and play against worse defenders.

12/11/2013 2:56 PM (edited)
Posted by bistiza on 12/11/2013 2:20:00 PM (view original):
I don't always buy in to the theory that a player will do much better against another team's reserves. I'm sure it's true against most sim teams and a few poorly recruited and/or coached human teams. However, if a human recruits well 1-12, the drop off to his backups should be mostly due to the difference between upperclassmen and the others. Yes, upperclassmen generally have higher ratings and obviously higher IQs, so there IS a difference - but on good teams I don't know that it's vast enough for a guy to have much better numbers.

Plus, add to it that substitution settings (and the way the sim makes subs) aren't always the same, and you don't always have him facing the backup guys anyway. Their starters may play more minutes than yours or may swap in and our more or less frequently than yours. I guess what I'm saying is the matchups may not favor your guy even if the talent does.

I respectfully disagree with you, biztiza. I buy into it, only from experience.

Whenever I recruit an excellent offensive player that is a very poor defender, I up his distro and stick him on the bench. His defensive weakness will not be exposed as often going up against other teams' reserves. This is very often a success whenever I employ this strategy. 
12/11/2013 3:05 PM
Shooting guard? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.