Guys, do you think that there's much of a difference between the 3/4 and the 4/3 defences?  Obviously you would need slightly different personel.  I often see most of the top schools using a 43.
12/12/2013 2:22 PM
I think its easier to get more better D-line than top level Line backers
12/12/2013 2:35 PM
Just one opinion... Under 2.0, I would have said that the 4-3 is a better defense in GD. With the new engine, I think the additional flexibility in how you deploy your LBs makes the 3-4 a better option.
12/12/2013 2:58 PM
I have used both and like both.

4-3:  Was my mainstay for almost my entire GD career.  Still is my Heisman D1AA defense.  If you have the right players, it works great.  Probably have to mix in some 4-4 and Nickel to cover the full spectrum.

3-4:  I converted on my D3 team during the last season of 2.0 and had great success.  I had a "co-coach" under another ID who fielded great defenses using the 3-4, so I decided to try it out myself..  I do NOT use any other defenses.  It is 3-4 in ALL situations, against ALL formations.  Had pretty good success the first season of 3.0.

I agree with helgi on 3-4 flexibility.  I also play against him with it at D3.  

Bottom line:  I really think you can make any of the defenses work if you recruit for it and learn how to use it properly.
12/12/2013 4:38 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 12/12/2013 4:38:00 PM (view original):
I have used both and like both.

4-3:  Was my mainstay for almost my entire GD career.  Still is my Heisman D1AA defense.  If you have the right players, it works great.  Probably have to mix in some 4-4 and Nickel to cover the full spectrum.

3-4:  I converted on my D3 team during the last season of 2.0 and had great success.  I had a "co-coach" under another ID who fielded great defenses using the 3-4, so I decided to try it out myself..  I do NOT use any other defenses.  It is 3-4 in ALL situations, against ALL formations.  Had pretty good success the first season of 3.0.

I agree with helgi on 3-4 flexibility.  I also play against him with it at D3.  

Bottom line:  I really think you can make any of the defenses work if you recruit for it and learn how to use it properly.
I hope your right cause im going to try and run a nickel defense 100% of the time.  Im hoping with ability to control whether your LB's are playing on the line or in coverage Ill be able to make it work.  So far in my exhibition games ive had mixed results.  Although im down on talent and just now recruiting for this style of play.
12/13/2013 6:32 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.