Not allowed to bid too much on an IFA?? Topic

I got stuck with a big bag of cash at the end of the season and put it all (29mil) on a fringe MLer, because I may as well. Then I get this message along with an X next to the players name.

"My client can't take this contract, he's just not that good! If you think you can afford the money, try adjusting the length of the contract and/or the contract type."

What the heck? How do I adjust the length or type? I think its ridiculous to force me to offer him a BL deal.
12/15/2013 10:26 AM
Never seen that message before on a minor league contract-- it's usually telling you the big league contract for an international is too long.  My guess--and it's only a guess-- is to lower the offer.
12/15/2013 10:30 AM
That's a built-in safeguard to prevent somebody from giving a horrible long-term contract to an undeserving player.  You know, the kind that's meant to cripple the team for the next owner.

Who's the player, and what's the offer you're trying to make?
12/15/2013 10:33 AM
I've had this happen before with an IFA.  He was a future SuA type but had a very low overall rating.  The most I could bid on him was $16 mil.  I tried to go higher, got rejected because of the same reason stated above, then he signed for $16 mil with someone else.
12/15/2013 1:48 PM
Posted by zeustis01 on 12/15/2013 1:48:00 PM (view original):
I've had this happen before with an IFA.  He was a future SuA type but had a very low overall rating.  The most I could bid on him was $16 mil.  I tried to go higher, got rejected because of the same reason stated above, then he signed for $16 mil with someone else.
That's crap. 
12/15/2013 2:47 PM
Ah, I lowered my offer from 29mil to 19mil, but samemessage. Then I lowered it again (forget what) and someone else got him. Good grief.
12/16/2013 7:29 AM
IFA have finally caught up with the rest of the world.   They hate you too.
12/16/2013 8:14 AM
I had this same experience.  It was game 140 or so of the season and I had $20mil in prospect cash.  I offered it all to a fringe ML'er.  He rejected me with the same language you listed.  He eventually signed with someone else for $9mil or something like that...and I ended up with 20 million unusable imaginary dollars in my pocket to end the season.
12/16/2013 10:58 PM (edited)
that's weird, I wonder what the cutoff is for "good", I hadn't used any of my prospect money or my left over salary money at game 144, so I ****** away 35MIL on this, definitely not worth anywhere near that, prospect and he signed and took the money just fine.   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Miguel Lee
12/17/2013 12:10 AM
Dude, are you kidding?  That guy's a solid SP2.  Those don't grow on trees.  In the Amateur Draft, he'd be a top-10 pick.  He'll probably end up a Type A free agent, too.  If I had $35mil in prospect cash, I'd hope to do better, but unless the stars align and deliver you Yu Darvish, this is what you're most likely to get in any given season.
12/17/2013 11:55 AM
Here's the support ticket. I wasn't going to post this, but it looks like others may be experiencing this with more regularity so its useful to know what CS thinks. Unfortunately they didn't really provide with anything we hadn't already guessed and it sounds like they may be confused as well.

12/16/2013 7:34 AM boogerlips
Hi. At the end of the season I got stuck with 29mil in unused prospect cash, so I bid 29mil on the best IFA available, because there is no reason not to. I got a message saying the prospect wasn't good enough to merit that offer and to lower my offer! So I lowered the offer twice. Finally got below your threshold and lost him to someone else. Can I get an explaination for this please? What is the most I'm allowed to bid on an IFA? If more than one owner bid that exact amount, what are the tie breakers that determine who gets him? Thanks.

12/18/2013 8:33 PM Customer Support
Hi Jordan,

The reason why you were receiving the correspondence in question was because the player, based on his overall rating, deemed the contract to be too lucrative for his ability. This is a safety measure more than anything else. We do it to protect franchises from signing terrible players to very expensive contracts

12/19/2013 1:17 PM boogerlips
Could you answer my second and third questions please.

12/19/2013 3:33 PM Customer Support
Jordan,

International free agents do not follow the same logic as ML free agents. When negotiating with an IFA the logic follows the same exact path as when you are signing your amateur draftees. There is no limit to the amount of the bonus you can offer except that you must have it available.

There are in fact no tiebreakers when it comes to these types of negotiations. It is based on the time of the best offer (i.e. first come, first served).

12/20/2013 1:38 AM boogerlips
I'm completely confused. You said in your first response that IFAs have a bonus limit to prevent a bad contract, then you say there is no limit. Which is it?

12/20/2013 1:04 PM Customer Support
There is no limit in what you can offer a player. However, some players do have a max at which they feel that the contract is too lucrative and they will never live up to it. There's no way to know what that is exactly as it completely depends on the player. If you get a message like you did all you can do is lower your offer to something more reasonable.
1/2/2014 1:01 AM
Lol, there is no 'limit', but there IS a 'max'. Hopefully you can figure it out better than I can...
1/2/2014 1:03 AM
No limit to what you can offer.   A max that they'll accept.   Not that complicated.
1/2/2014 7:17 AM
Not allowed to bid too much on an IFA?? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.