Job logic: why HD is terminally ill Topic

Posted by rsvphr on 12/17/2013 11:35:00 AM (view original):
How about only A+'s can apply for A+ jobs the first 3 cycles, after that then A's for 3 cycles, then A-'s for the last cycles. Requirements being 4 years tenure with the existing school and no losing record in the 4 years. You have baseline prestige anyway. It'll still take progressive movement to get from Coppin State to UCLA.

Anybody with decent stats in D1 should qualify for any B+ job and below. You'll have multiple applications for positions and competition. The best applicant will get it.
Sims in high places will kill us.

I like this.

With the current job hiring logic, I'd bet that if your last two seasons were reversed, meaning you finished in the S16 this season and 2nd round last season, you'd be qualified for all of the openings.

12/18/2013 12:28 AM

One has to keep in mind that the recent job movement at the elite level in IBA was abberational.  Similar to what recently happened in Allen.  This is folks trying to go further with the "What if" theme, but it isnt the normal pattern of movement to elites. 

I dont think there is a big issue with elites.  Yes, the jobs logic lets them sag too far before someone can qualify - i'd tinker with that.

But as noted by others above the bigger problems lie a level down where mid major and low majors need to sag way too far after a human leaves, especially if the departing coach was good and got them to a high level

12/18/2013 7:38 AM
^^^ but this is the exact same problem in the logic, and would seemingly be an easy fix. 
12/18/2013 8:25 AM
Posted by metsmax on 12/18/2013 7:38:00 AM (view original):

One has to keep in mind that the recent job movement at the elite level in IBA was abberational.  Similar to what recently happened in Allen.  This is folks trying to go further with the "What if" theme, but it isnt the normal pattern of movement to elites. 

I dont think there is a big issue with elites.  Yes, the jobs logic lets them sag too far before someone can qualify - i'd tinker with that.

But as noted by others above the bigger problems lie a level down where mid major and low majors need to sag way too far after a human leaves, especially if the departing coach was good and got them to a high level

The comments about mid majors are right on. I've complained about the tip of the iceberg because it's going to leave us with a handful of elites who have no recruiting competition and half full conferences.

The mid major issue is where the serious cracks in the foundation are. Any coach with 2 years experience at ANY LEVEL should qualify for any D- or D prestige D1 program. We currently have a grand total of 2 D2 coaches that have moved up to D1 (which is twice as many as last season).

12/18/2013 2:01 PM (edited)
Posted by dcy0827 on 12/17/2013 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rsvphr on 12/17/2013 8:27:00 AM (view original):
Girt, you really think I'm not qualified for an A prestige program that has been to the NT 2 or 3 times in the last 30 seasons? In the real world that school would be recruiting me! I guess the Butler coach going to the BOSTON CELTICS was a result of him not qualifying for a A+ prestige job in D1.

I appreciate your evaluation  of my resume. It is that perspective that is going to send me back to D2 before the Big East is half sim.

As someone who has played at, and won at, the highest levels of D1, my opinion is that your resume should be fully qualified to get you accepted to any school with an open coaching position in that world.
Don't care that you won at the elite level. Listening to people like you about job hiring makes absolutely NO SENSE.  You state"fully qualified", HOW THE HELL IS A SIM FULLY QUALIFIED OVER A HUMAN WITH A GOOD RESUME.  NOBODY will tell me or give me any proof that a SIM coached team is more qualified than a GOOD human coach. Not a ****** human a GOOD human coach.  So once again nobody on any of these forums has proven why the hiring logic is OK for elite programs.  WHY? because nobody can because it's not.  I call bullshit.
12/18/2013 10:09 AM
Terps... I think you are agreeing with us but I'm not getting the SIM reference. I'm not a SIM I am, for the most part, human.
12/18/2013 10:22 AM
Has anyone ever discussed capping the time someone can continuously play this game at the same school? Seems like there are lots of people who have camped out at schools for real-life-years, having fun and establishing mock-careers and faux-legacies and virtual-resumes -- but maybe another player ought to be able to place a quarter on the pinball machine at some point to claim next. The lack of a cap on dynasties (yeah, I get that that word is part of the game's title) compounds the problem discussed herein of SIM schools not accepting human players. I'm throwing out the additional question of whether it makes sense to let anyone hog a video game for years. I realize that there are other games in the arcade (other schools), but the Big 6 video games are different because of the advantages programmed into them that enhance the playing experience. Just thinking out loud.
12/18/2013 4:32 PM (edited)
So make Big 6 jobs have a cap, like 10 seasons. Let the other DI schools, and all DII and DIII schools, have no cap.
12/18/2013 11:20 AM
I think it'd be a lot easier (and more satisfying) to ramp up firings than to put up an artificial cap. Honestly, you could ramp them up pretty far without being unrealistic. You take a crap program and build them into a perennial NT team, but after six or seven straight tournament berths, you still can't make the second round? Sorry, you're toast. (see also: Glen Mason Territory). 

Now you don't have to get this extreme with firings, but you could and still be realistic, and it would keep a lot more jobs opening up. Of course, you'd have to change the hiring logic to make sure these new jobs didn't go unfilled. 
12/18/2013 11:33 AM
Posted by rsvphr on 12/18/2013 10:22:00 AM (view original):
Terps... I think you are agreeing with us but I'm not getting the SIM reference. I'm not a SIM I am, for the most part, human.
rsvphr, I know your human lol. I was refering to girt's statement that you have to be fully qualified. My point was if you're not qualified how is a SIM coach qualified.  A good human coach is better than a SIM coached team was my point.
12/18/2013 12:49 PM
Posted by bistiza on 12/18/2013 11:20:00 AM (view original):
So make Big 6 jobs have a cap, like 10 seasons. Let the other DI schools, and all DII and DIII schools, have no cap.
This is probably the worst idea I've ever heard.  
12/18/2013 1:45 PM
terps: thanks for that lol, as I figured, we are on the same page
tarvolon:  +1.   tkimble +1.
As I understand it, the firing logic has been all but eliminated because WIS was concerned they'd lose some long time coaches. We have an avalanche of coaches leaving D1 or disinterested in coming to D1 or unable to get to D1 due to the hiring logic that far outweighs that. When I joined, I was well aware that if I didn't perform when I got to the big time, I could get canned. Shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. Firings are the way to create pathways to advancement. I'd hate to see someone like a Ga Tech in Iba lose the monster he's created  arbitrarily. If he starts to suck, then give him the boot.

WIS: feel free to chime in at any time 

12/18/2013 2:12 PM
I agree, I am still learning this game. From what I have seen around the worlds, you can suck for ever and never lose your job. Do you think if Billy Donovan didn't make the NT four seasons in a row he would still be there? There are D1 teams in reality that have been average at best and they fire a coach for not getting them to a NT within four seasons. HD needs to look at the GD logic for firings. If you sucks you need to go end of story.
12/18/2013 7:06 PM
Posted by tkimble on 12/17/2013 11:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by monmouth11 on 12/17/2013 9:44:00 PM (view original):

Most recent updates, changes and improvements

Changes within the last 90 days...

There are no Hoops Dynasty updates for the past 90 days. (probably more like 180)

The job logic is obviously ridiculous.  but based on the amount of work being done to attend to this game I think we are venting on deaf ears. 

That's actually something I like to see.  Unless they're fixing major problems, I don't want to see them screwing around trying to change things all the time. 
+1 tkimble...look how much they've screwed up GD because of the tweaks and inability to get the game right.  HD is near perfect as is, it's just fringe stuff like this that are the "problems".  Especially with the lack of participation, what it takes to qualify you for X job is a bit over the top...I mean hell for the longest time I was qualified for like 30+ D- teams but couldn't get the D I wanted.  Knight is in season 67 and still has at least a handful of D1 teams that have never had human coaches...that's pretty pathetic if you ask me.
12/18/2013 8:21 PM
Posted by bistiza on 12/18/2013 11:20:00 AM (view original):
This is the worst idea in the history of HD. You're not the first to suggest it, but that doesn't make it any more palatable.
12/18/2013 8:47 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Job logic: why HD is terminally ill Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.