My email to WIS - Topic

Wiser heads than mine have spoken. Most of you have played in leagues with me and know that I am, if nothing else, reliable and persistent. I value loyalty in any relationship personal or business. My loyalty is being seriously challenged by Fox management stiffs who are not reciprocating.

Len's points are valid and based in fact. I rarely see new owners and they vanish quickly. Can't even remember the last time I played in an open league. I am no genius but the same cookie strategy that have been around for years is still there and is boring. I see no social media strategy. My son, twfan, is big with that and he says most young people would never sign up with a site like WIS. Too boring! I foresee his time here coming to an end soon. This site has become a haven for old codgers like me.

I agree with Scott in that when my friends go, I will be too. I have disposable income to spend and expect some value out of my money. Not getting it here.
12/21/2013 9:27 AM (edited)
great thread
12/21/2013 1:37 PM
I fully agree with the changes that WIS needs to make to the site - at very least to give attention and acknowledgment to our concerns. I do fear, however, a boycott is unlikely to have the desired effect. First off, I find it very unlikely that a high enough percentage of people actively read the forums to know of and support the boycott. A halfhearted boycott would not be enough to get the attention of WIS brass, and those users who did not know of or did not support the boycott would grow increasingly frustrated because of the vacant owners ruining leagues that otherwise could have been fun for them.

Again, I totally agree that updates and marketing must take place soon, but I still enjoy my progressives enough where I would be pretty disappointed if they folded because of a boycott.
12/21/2013 4:39 PM

Niche sites without 'bell whistles and laser shows' that appeal to an older demographic are not the way of the future so there won't be any compulsion for its prevalence by its administrators. As someone stated earlier, young people aren't interested in sites like this. Just as the dying physical read of newspapers is slowly dying, so are nuts and bolts activities like this. To contankerous old curmudgeons like many of the people on this site, compared to the strat-o-matic baseball we grew up with this is like the space age. Unfortunately to young people who qrew up in the age of video games and high tech gadgets, this site would be like watching paint dry. Most are here because they don't want the 'bells, laser shows and whistles'. Many of the people who are complaining haven't paid for a season in years. Quite frankly I'm amazed and appreciative that sites like this still exist in this day and age. You have to understand that there is a reason for their unresponsiveness, and it's not laziness. Improvements will come from a willful act on their part, and nothing more. Like my transistor radio and word processor, I'll appreciate it until it's gone. There are those that complain and those that understand that there are other options in the universe.

12/22/2013 11:43 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Here's a transcript of my recent correspondence with WiS if anyone is interested. They informed me on Friday they would be posting that day a "State of WiS" type address in the forums.  Of course, it hasn't been posted.... I received nothing in response to my email to Fox Sports.

12/14/2013 2:20 AM whoscraig
I don't know if anyone at Fox Sports even cares, but WhatIfSports.com has continually gone downhill since your takeover as a result of corporate neglect.

It is saddening for myself and the many other (former) users of the baseball simulation engine to lose our beloved game. Unfortunately, an outdated product and silent management team are forcing us to leave. A "2012 update" that has never occurred and has seemingly been abandoned is a prime example.

Without immediate change, I will be using the remainder of my credits and leaving. Goodbye, WhatIfSports. Thanks for reading.
12/14/2013 11:34 AM Customer Support
Hi Craig,

We do apologize that you are dissatisfied with our game.

What specifically are you referring to when you say, '2012 Update'?

Thank you for your feedback.
12/19/2013 11:00 PM whoscraig
Really? I'm sorry I didn't specify SimLeague Baseball, but you have been commented on upcoming updates to the engine (look, feel, and gameplay) for about 4 years.

Here is a snippet from the 2012 Redesign Forum Discussion http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Topics.aspx?forumid=694

"The SimLeague Baseball game you're playing today was started in 2001 and was written in classic asp and Visual Basic 6.0 and uses SQL Server 2000. It grew and grew and grew over the next 9 years into a mammoth code base in what has become outdated technology. This eventually limited our ability to add new features and make substantial improvements. So, we are rebuilding from the ground up in the latest tools and technology. 

Our requirements and design process began in 2010 but was dramatically interrupted when we took on the task of re-building the fantasy experience on FOXSports.com. Once the majority of that was completed, we started back up in March, 2012 and created this forum. 

In August, we began development and are now less than two months away from opening up sections of it to some of you in our test environment. Estimated release date on the main site is mid-2013. As we get closer, we'll define an official release date."

Essentially I've been playing the same game for five years, a game that seems to move farther from reality with each passing year, without new features to keep me interested.
12/20/2013 2:56 PM Customer Support
Craig,

We'll be posting to the forums later today with a "State of WIS" type comment.

We know some of our games have not seen much attention over the last few years. We do plan on changing it. We've had a couple false starts but plan on completing our SLB update in 2014.
12/22/2013 8:22 PM
"We'll be posting to the forums later today with a "State of WIS" type comment.

We know some of our games have not seen much attention over the last few years. We do plan on changing it. We've had a couple false starts but plan on completing our SLB update in 2014."

I hate to be a cynic, but I'm at the I'll believe it when i see it stage.
12/22/2013 11:22 PM
Posted by mattedesa on 12/22/2013 11:22:00 PM (view original):
"We'll be posting to the forums later today with a "State of WIS" type comment.

We know some of our games have not seen much attention over the last few years. We do plan on changing it. We've had a couple false starts but plan on completing our SLB update in 2014."

I hate to be a cynic, but I'm at the I'll believe it when i see it stage.
As are we all I am sure. Posted on 12/19/12 was the following comment, "In August, we began development and are now less than two months away from opening up sections of it to some of you in our test environment.  Estimated release date on the main site is mid-2013. As we get closer, we'll define an official release date." It's now over a year later and we still have nothing. I am sure that I speak for many of us in saying that we all love WiS and hope that it doesn't slowly wither away like it seems to be doing. As others have said, if these discussions at least get the attention of WiS then that's fantastic. We would love to keep playing this game that we have played for so long.
12/23/2013 12:49 AM
All - we made a post this AM related to this topic.

12/26/2013 10:32 AM
◂ Prev 12
My email to WIS - Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.