Ratings that don't correlate Topic

This may make sense to everyone else so I may just be missing something, but how can a player have high FB rating (i.e high P1 rating for example and is a FB), but have a low velocity?

Doesn't velocity=how fast the ball is? Example would be Mariano Estrada or Donovan Owens. 

Additionally how can a player have good contact, good power, and a good eye, but poor batting splits?  I.e. Make good contact, wait for good pitches, and hit with power, but be considered ineffective against both handed pitches? Example: Josh Strickland

Or all good pitches and good control but bad pitching splits? I.e. How can you say a player has good control, and all his pitches are good, but is ineffective against either handed hitter?  Example Brian Hogg.

All of the following players do actually ahve good stats, but their contradictory ratings just don't make sense to me. I'm probably missing something obvious though. Thanks in advance.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Donovan Owens
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Josh Strickland
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Brian Hogg

12/18/2013 10:21 AM
Pitch rating equals Movement. Think Charlie Hudson. Good velocity on his fastball but lousy movement.
Batting splits is the ability to drive the ball. Dave Kingman had great power but hit a ton of fly balls but not too many line drives.
12/18/2013 10:42 AM
Also, on the FB/velocity thing, the pitch names are just window dressing and don't actually mean anything.
12/18/2013 10:44 AM
Don't take the names of the ratings so literally in HBD.

For pitchers, you shouldn't think of the velocity rating as speed, but as strikeout rate.  A pitcher with a high velocity rating will strikeout more hitters than a pitcher with a low velocity rating, who pitches more to contact.

Likewise for hitters, the contact rating is more about strikeouts versus putting the ball in play.  A low contact hitter will strikeout at a higher rate than a high contact hitter.  I've heard the splits described as the ability to "drive" the ball.  I suppose that means hitting line drives as opposed to routine ground balls or pop-ups / fly balls.
12/18/2013 10:44 AM
The only ratings that I've really scratched my head about are the high speed, low range guys and vice versa. 

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=4350964. Don't get how you can be a 100 speed, but only have 64 range.

www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx. And then on the other end have 49 speed, but 85 range.
12/25/2013 1:26 AM
My only take for that is something like guile - the first guy is super fast but has horrible reads on the batted ball while the 2nd guy is pretty slow when running around but but gets great jumps on the ball. A fan wank anyway.
12/25/2013 7:02 AM
Lonnie Smith had great speed but had average range cause he froze, broke the wrong direction and just generally misjudged balls.

Juan Samuel would be another good example of great speed on the bases not translating into great range on the field.

Going the opposite way think about the great Brooks Robinson. Not much speed on the bases but amazingly quick reactions and great range in the field.
12/25/2013 8:39 PM (edited)
Ratings that don't correlate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.