Spring Training targets Topic

OK, I'm sure this has been discussed before but I don't feel like getting it on with this forum search thingy this morning. What are the best target numbers for innings pitches for ML SP's and position player AB's by the end of ST?
12/19/2013 10:03 AM
I like my pitchers to get 3 appearances, position players 10-15 AB.   That seems to be enough to prevent a decline in the older guys without hurting their DUR later in the season.
12/19/2013 10:06 AM
I get my ML SPs two appearances and a minimum of 10 IP. If they don't get 10 IP, they get a third start, but I try to have everyone done by the 14th ST game. My starting position players I give 20 ABs, and then let them come in as occasional PHs or defensive replacements the rest of ST. Any position player with low DUR I put on rest after getting in their ABs.
12/19/2013 1:50 PM
I put my BL starters in at the beginning. Set player rest to hook 'em after the 4th inning or so. (I use player rest and defensive replacements all the time, try to use as many players per game as I can, don't want to see anyone getting five or six ABs unless it's intentional.)
Let the BL SPs have the first five games, then park them in rest. After three or four games... about 10 ABs... I move the position players to rest. Then the minor leaguers play out the majority of the ex schedule, especially ones who I want to see projected in certain roles.
With three or four games to go I start bringing the big leaguers back in to finish up the sked and get some dress rehearsal. Try to end up with pretty much the numbers Mike says.

12/19/2013 2:53 PM
I try to get 20-25 AB's (closer to 20) and ~10 IP for SP's and 3-4 appearences or 6-10 innings for RP, for veterans.  More for prospects...

For a while I've gone with not doing the rest thing for 2 reasons.
1) Its less to deal with and less to remember at the beginning of the season
2) if a starter gets injured it'll be in the first few games of ST instead of the ninth or tenth day.
12/20/2013 10:18 AM
I had a ticket response that mentioned it was appearances for both batters and pitchers that mattered for ST, not IP or AB's. FWIW.
12/20/2013 10:47 AM
Very interesting topic here guys. Is there actual proof that an older player will decline if he is not used in ST? I personally have not seen this and I never play any player who is older than 27 in ST. I do know that a younger player can receive a ratings boost but have not seen a ratings decline in an older player. Where is this mentioned besides here?
12/24/2013 3:57 PM
I think they once mentioned a ratings decline would be in a future update. Personally, I cannot recall it happening. Recently I rested a 34 year old C/DH for the entire ST and his ratings were unaffected.
12/24/2013 4:50 PM
Posted by nitehawk98 on 12/24/2013 3:57:00 PM (view original):
Very interesting topic here guys. Is there actual proof that an older player will decline if he is not used in ST? I personally have not seen this and I never play any player who is older than 27 in ST. I do know that a younger player can receive a ratings boost but have not seen a ratings decline in an older player. Where is this mentioned besides here?
I'm not sure what kind of "proof" that you're looking for, but I have seen it happen.
12/24/2013 5:26 PM
I was hoping for a statement from admin or something along those lines. I have not seen this ever. And I've sat veteran player in every ST since I began to grasp this game. Obviously some of you guys are way more experiences than I am so your input is appreciated. But in my experience this is not the case.
12/24/2013 6:57 PM
Do you just need a player posted who declined between ST and Opening Day?  If so, that's easy.    I don't sit players out completely during ST anymore so I'd have to dig back to find one. 
12/24/2013 11:07 PM
Tarrik Watkins

I gave him 3 ST games and 11 ABs. He still dropped a point Vs R...
12/24/2013 11:55 PM
That won't be nessesary Mike. I am just wondering why it seems such a rare thing in my own experience, but I am not as experienced as some of you guys. I'm not sure that I am going to change anything in my own gameplay but this does give me something to consider. Thanks
12/25/2013 10:52 AM
Spring Training targets Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.