Iba D2 Season 69 Topic

This St. Mary's team is pleasantly surprising me.  We are playing very well this season.  I certainly didn't expect to go to Incarnate Word's place and win by double-digits.  Hopefully I can keep this up.
1/10/2014 7:35 AM
Posted by mduncanhogs on 1/10/2014 7:35:00 AM (view original):
This St. Mary's team is pleasantly surprising me.  We are playing very well this season.  I certainly didn't expect to go to Incarnate Word's place and win by double-digits.  Hopefully I can keep this up.
Yes, good win MDH. I thought I had a gameplan, but some early fouls took me out of it. I think it was closer than the final score indicated, I hope we get another shot or two at a rematch. Murphy played well with those 4 fouls, I couldn't get him out of there!
1/10/2014 9:24 AM
U. of the Sciences took a beating in non-conference, and has the #1 SOS to show for it.  Also, we are facing the danger of missing out on the NT for the first time since season 53.  If I can go crazy through the conference the rest of the way and make it to the conference championship game, then maybe I can squeak out an at large, but I need to tell me AD to not schedule so crazy when I have only 1 SR. on board.
1/13/2014 10:57 PM
Bellarmine is currently 12-7, projected as a #9 seed.  I feel secure with a NT bid. But my team is very inconsistent. We defeated three top 10 teams but lost to two Sims. I never know which team will show up. 
1/15/2014 12:16 PM
We keep winning at Longwood, but this doesn't compare to our best Longwood teams. We're just well balanced, wiith all 5 starters scoring between 12 and 9 PPG. If we're a 1 seed, I doubt that teams will be scared of us. 
1/15/2014 1:17 PM
Been too busy to post much. Who are yall's final four predictions??? That Grand Canyon superclass squad looks pretty tough this season. 
1/23/2014 2:56 PM
St. Mary's has made it to the final 4 5 of the last 7 seasons, and 9 of the last 17. Definitely the most impressive resume' I've seen from a team that has not won the title. Maybe this is their season - it's probably the most talented St. Mary's squad that I can remember. 
1/23/2014 2:59 PM
That St Marys squad beat us up by 22. That team like you said bunchy is always in the final four. Just a matter of time before they finally break through...
1/23/2014 8:53 PM
I hope to get another shot at St Mary's, which could happen in the CT semis. As usual, I've played around with the lineup but have settled on a PG and 4 PFs.

St Mary's, Longwood, and the two teams from the Cal conference have been at the top all season. We hope to crash the #1 seed party and grab a spot. Parkside is quietly putting together a very nice season.
1/24/2014 12:31 PM
My top picks, in no particular order are:
Grand Canyon, Incarnate Word, CSU-Los Angeles, and CSU-Stanislus.  One of them will win the NT
1/24/2014 12:51 PM
Finally had to buy some seasons so I can start posting again. I didn't even know you lost the ability to post until it happened to me.
1/27/2014 8:34 PM

Tourney time.  Who do you like for the Final 4 and to win it all?  I'm going to take this bracket-by-bracket.

Midwest:  I don't usually pick my own team because of the bad karma that comes with it, but I still haven't won an NT despite many, many opportunities, so I'm going to hope that mixing it up will be the difference, so I'm taking St. Mary's (TX) to win the Midwest over upstart Le Moyne College, led by jtheime1.  Queens U. (NC) is a tough 2-seed here, but upsets always happen in D2 Iba.  Undefeated and #7 ranked S. Dakota St. is a very, very tough 5-seed in this bracket too.

East:  #5 seed St. Rose looks like a tough matchup for #1-seed Incarnate Word's 1 guard, 4 PF lineup.  St. Rose plays outstanding defense and has just enough scoring to give Incarnate Word trouble here.  I look for the final of this bracket to put 2 of the top D2 Iba defenses up against each other, with Wisconsin, Parkside taking this bracket over St. Rose in the final of the bracket.

South:  New coach tcole23 took over Grand Canyon at its peak, with its 2 super classes of SRs and JRs.  One can only imagine why robertspone left this group at this time.  Grand Canyon scores in bunches, but I think their luck might run up when they face Florida Souther's stingy defense in round 2, with great athletes and defenders all over that roster, especially in the paint.  Look for Belmont Abbey and Dominican to match up in the Elite 8, with Domincan taking this bracket as coach bvb24 appears to have them peaking at the right time with 16 straight wins after a 9-4 start.

West:  This bracket is brutal, with oustanding coaches all over the place.  Any time Bellarmine is a 13-seed in your bracket you should be worried.  CSU, Stanislaus looks battle-tested coming out of the strong CCAA conference.    Coach gopokes24 resume speaks for itself at Bryant, as does coach kelby_03's at Valdosta St, and burkboyz's at Northeastern St. (the TEN seed in this bracket), and daveredden's at Humboldt St. (who is probably a season away from making a deep run.  bbunch might be the top coach in the history of D2 Iba at defending national champion Longwood.  I'm taking another great coach in mmd1821's Hillsdale College to take this bracket behind a strong defense and just enough scoring (assuming they can get by 28-1 ELEVEN seed Minnesota, Duluth).  Not sure who in this bracket slept with the chairman of the selection committee's wife, but I don't know that I've ever seen a tougher bracket in all my years in D2 Iba.

Final Four Matchup #1 - St. Mary's TX vs. Wisconsin, Parkside:  Wisconsin, Parkside has had St. Mary's TX's number in the NT over the years.  This is the season when that finally ends.  These are 2 of the top defenses in D2 Iba this season, but St. Mary's TX has a bit more offensive diversity, which could be the difference in this matchup.  I'm taking St. Mary's TX over Wisconsin, Parkside.

Final Four Marchup #2 - Hillsdale vs. Dominican:  Hillsdale will have to get through a brutal bracket to get here, but Dominican will be tested as well.  Look for the scoring duo of Thomas Harris and Kermit "The Frog" Day to put up just enough offense to get Dominican to the final.

National Championship Game - St. Mary's TX vs. Dominican:  A heavyweight bout between 2 of the winningest coaches in the history of the D2 Iba NT.  I'm calling my shot and hoping it doesn't backfire:  St. Mary's TX wins the D2 Iba title, ending a well-documented streak of futility for yours truly in the NT.  Yes folks, mduncanhogs will finally shed the title of winningest HD coach (as determined by winning percentage for active coaches with more than 1,500 career wins) who has never won an HD title.  The inside-outside combo of C Mark Murphy and sharp-shooting PG Aurelio "Il Cecchino" Gallo prove too much to handle and St. Mary's TX finally cuts down the nets.

1/28/2014 9:55 AM (edited)
Posted by bvb24 on 1/27/2014 8:34:00 PM (view original):
Finally had to buy some seasons so I can start posting again. I didn't even know you lost the ability to post until it happened to me.
Just in time for me to pick your Dominican team in the Final game this season!
1/28/2014 9:54 AM
A Who's Who of Hoops Dynasty coaches in the West. Good luck coming out of that region.
1/28/2014 6:41 PM
Very tough in the West, so obviously Sim AI will win that bracket.
1/28/2014 7:21 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Iba D2 Season 69 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.