I am curious as to everyone's thinking regarding choosing whom to redshirt.

I have certain positions that I usually look at for redshirts, and sometimes recruit multiple players at these positions, as I am sure most of you do. What I am wondering is, what kind of player are you guys more likely to use redshirts on?

Assuming neither player will start immediately, and both have similar WE & POT, would you use it on the more highly rated player to maximize his growth? Or are you more likely to use it on a lower rated player thinking his eventual contribution to the team will be greater with the extra year? 
12/25/2013 3:07 PM (edited)
I'll go with the highest WE/POT.
12/25/2013 6:04 PM
Assuming both players have similar WE/POT?
12/25/2013 7:25 PM
I recruit with the position already in mind.
12/25/2013 7:29 PM
RS guys with good potential and WE--If you happen upon a "sky's the limit" player, RS him regardless of position.  Other than that, Generally RS players that will have the highest singular impact on the game; I believe this would be QB, RB & WR, and maybe DL or DB.  I had success keeping at least 1 QB redshirted, and then I'd decide on others depending on depth, and who I was able to recruit.  If it's a choice b/t a higher vs. lower rated player on his position skills with equal WE & Pot, I'd RS the better player and get a better Sr* season from him. Hope this helps!
12/26/2013 1:07 AM
I RS my highest rated player at various positions, trying to maintain a balanced roster of red shirts on both sides of the ball. For best results I give my red shirts as much playing time as possible and in some cases have started them all four years of eligibility.. By the time they become Jr's and Sr's the growth is enormous.
12/26/2013 8:39 AM
It depends on what you're going to do with the guy, but my general rules of thumb:
1) Either high potential or STL. Low potential and tapped out just seems a waste of a good RS.
2) I prefer high WE, unless the guy will be starting by his 2nd year. I want more improvement than I'll see from a 35 WE unless he's getting a starter boost by year 2.
3) Someone who'll be starting at least two years, and preferably 3. I hate wasting a RS on a career backup.
4) I rarely RS OLs. Treating the line as a group makes it easier to build a good line without needing to RS.
5) High potential, high WE guys are always tempting, but recruits with balanced cores instead of one really high core yield better results.
6) Always RS QBs, they need all the development they can get. Never RS ILBs; it's too easy to GP around them.

I haven't tried a position change lately, but I used to RS them all the time as well.

12/26/2013 10:40 AM
I concur with the earlier postings, however I also use Redshirts to balance out my recruiting classes.  I had a big departure of DL and DB's at Tusculum/Rockne and now at least have 4 returning each year, so I can stay competitive.  I also concur on the 35 WE minimum and the High or STL guidelines as well.
12/26/2013 11:15 AM
Thanks guys. The last 4 posts were the kinda info I was looking for regarding deciding between two players with similar WE/POT.  Special thanks to dream & albright as I think they were able to understand the gist of my question. Clememp, I also use that strategy to get my roster balanced.   
12/26/2013 7:46 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.