I'm down to clown...if you`re down??? Topic

Posted by a_in_the_b on 1/12/2014 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 1/12/2014 2:01:00 AM (view original):
1.  Homecourt rating should be based on the division.  The best team in DIII should have an A+ homecourt, not a rating of C.

2.  Guarantee the regular season conference winner a spot in the PIT if they get bounced in the conference tourney.  How you determine the conference winner (because of the presence of East and West divisions) I leave up to the jury.

3.  Update the conferences (primarily DI.)  HD conference membership is so antiquated now its almost to the point of laughable. 

4.  Release the first Top 25 after x many (no preference) games.  It is just dumb to see the #1 team win its opening game against the #3 team...and then drop 6 places in the polls.
The problem with realignment is that breaking up long term conferences and the relationships would be much more injurious than the benefit gained from the rearrangement.
I'll concede that and I think your point is valid.  The first two (especially #2) were my main concerns.  Numbers three and four are much more trivial.
1/12/2014 2:19 PM
To elaborate a little bit on my second point, I think it would have some positive impacts, especially DI.  First, it would act as a small redistribution of wealth as far as postseason money since the PIT would favor non-BCS schools.  Second, it would also act as a small redirstibution of prestige for the same reasons.  I believe anything that would create an incentive to stay and build a low DI program rather than accept the SIM AI desert that currently represents the landscape of most low DI conferences is a change worth considering.
1/12/2014 2:53 PM
I think almost everyone would like to see the conferences in HD reflect the actual landscape of college basketball, but I have to agree that it probably wouldn't be a positive addition to the game as it exists today.

Another thing I would like to see have a larger impact on the simulations is BLK as it applies to guards, especially in those situations were they are defending a shot  taken in the lane and/or from the interior. However, I admit that I might be incorrect in thinking that it doesn't play a big role in defense or certain defensive situations, so this might not be something needing adjustment.
1/13/2014 4:32 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 1/13/2014 4:32:00 PM (view original):
I think almost everyone would like to see the conferences in HD reflect the actual landscape of college basketball, but I have to agree that it probably wouldn't be a positive addition to the game as it exists today.

Another thing I would like to see have a larger impact on the simulations is BLK as it applies to guards, especially in those situations were they are defending a shot  taken in the lane and/or from the interior. However, I admit that I might be incorrect in thinking that it doesn't play a big role in defense or certain defensive situations, so this might not be something needing adjustment.
The only positive element to conference realignment is for new users.  Established users are accustomed to the setup but a new user, who's dream is to coach their alma mater, might not enjoy the game as much knowing they are forever locked into the wrong conference.  As a South Florida alum (if I was new to HD,) I would expect to be in the American or at worst the Big East.  I guess I could even stomach Conference USA.  To be relegated to the Sun Belt, a league the Bulls haven't played in for 20 years, is a joke. 

The needs of veterans has to come first because we are paying to keep this game afloat but, at some point, to attract new players that are fans of Missouri, Notre Dame, Louisville, Texas A&M, Syracuse, etc. something will eventually need to change. 
1/13/2014 4:53 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 1/13/2014 4:53:00 PM (view original):

The only positive element to conference realignment is for new users.  Established users are accustomed to the setup but a new user, who's dream is to coach their alma mater, might not enjoy the game as much knowing they are forever locked into the wrong conference.  As a South Florida alum (if I was new to HD,) I would expect to be in the American or at worst the Big East.  I guess I could even stomach Conference USA.  To be relegated to the Sun Belt, a league the Bulls haven't played in for 20 years, is a joke. 

The needs of veterans has to come first because we are paying to keep this game afloat but, at some point, to attract new players that are fans of Missouri, Notre Dame, Louisville, Texas A&M, Syracuse, etc. something will eventually need to change. 
I qualified my comment about this issue by ending it with "as it exists today", so I don't think my opinion is very far apart from yours on this subject.
1/13/2014 6:15 PM
I'll throw one out there that I haven't heard yet. This is mostly for guards. Institute another setting for how a player scores. I have a guard with 95 speed and 85 ball handling with very good free throw shooting but very little perimeter, I want that guy slashing to the rim trying to draw fouls. A guy with 50-60 perimeter and less bh and lower free throw shooting, I want shooting more mid range jumpers. Could also be used for those bigs with decent perimeter and not great low post. Let them shoot more a way from the basket without it being a three pointer.
So, maybe a +\- setting for midrange J/slashing?
1/13/2014 8:24 PM
Posted by milwood on 1/13/2014 8:24:00 PM (view original):
I'll throw one out there that I haven't heard yet. This is mostly for guards. Institute another setting for how a player scores. I have a guard with 95 speed and 85 ball handling with very good free throw shooting but very little perimeter, I want that guy slashing to the rim trying to draw fouls. A guy with 50-60 perimeter and less bh and lower free throw shooting, I want shooting more mid range jumpers. Could also be used for those bigs with decent perimeter and not great low post. Let them shoot more a way from the basket without it being a three pointer.
So, maybe a +\- setting for midrange J/slashing?
I always thought an individual player's +/- settings and what position they play were the main factors in determining those types of shot selections. I agree it would be nice to have that amount of control over individual players, but I think that type of change would be a very difficult one to implement within the current engine. 
1/13/2014 10:06 PM

I am thinking the SF position would answer the questions for both the guard and big man scenarios listed above.  The problem is, while it may work from an offensive standpoint, that out-of-position player would be a liability on the defensive end.  If we had the ability to set an offensive depth chart AND a defensive depth chart, that would allow us to do almost anything.

1/13/2014 11:06 PM (edited)
Really would like to see the option to save multiple depth charts, and input recruiting actions early.  I think those are pretty much unanimously agreed upon as improvements.

How about adding a fourth color to a players page to indicate high/high (>28) points of improvement remaining, they could use green.  Since this would remove the mystery of whether a recruit is high or high/high, they could change the scouting visit high/high messages to only appear if a player has >35 point remaining.  This would basically add a high/high/high category.

1/14/2014 12:21 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 1/13/2014 4:53:00 PM (view original):

It's interesting you wrote this because when I first signed up for the game (about 4 or 5 months ago) as a new user, this was the first question I asked the admins. I am a UNLV alum and eventually may want to coach that team but it's in a version of the MWC that is unrecognizable to me. That is even less extreme than the changes in the other conferences. 

This is one of those issues that seems like it's a net lose because of the veterans having to change affiliations but I actually think if you poll most veterans (like yourself), they might be more open to it. A little change might actually be refreshing. If you can keep your same program, in most cases its a step up or an improvement. I doubt they will EVER consider this because of the level of work involved. But if there was ever a time to start thinking about it, it's now. I think only at the D1 level. 

I also think someone's made the point about incentivizing coaches to want to coach a mid-major at the D1 level. I know a lot of coaches who prefer D2 or D3 for a host of reasons. Seems to me that this is a big area of concern that somehow needs to be ironed out a bit more. 

Totally agree that regular season conference champ should be automatic to at least PI. Not hard to determine. Take the team with the best conference win/loss record regardless of division. If two teams tie, then go with tie breaker or highest RPI (or both). 

Your points on Top 25 are dead on. To me, this is one of the most frustrating confusing parts of the system. In "real life" a team who is pre-season ranked #1 simply does not drop in the rankings without a loss. Now I get why in this game that may engender bitterness or anger among some. But the truth is that the rankings are as meaningless in this game as in "real life" with regard to the post season. But they could be less confusing if teams don't drop with a "win". Or at the very least, maybe the rankings should be capped on how far a team can fall with a  win. Or maybe even update every 2 games (which is what really happens anyway). Not sure how to fix this but definitely want to see more thought put into this logic. Later in the season seems like it runs much better than early.  I've had teams pre-seasons ranked who fall from top ten completely out of the rankings with one loss. Or teams pre-season ranked who go unranked without EVER losing. It's just illogical. I also wonder how the system determines a "good" or "bad" win that early in the season anyway. 

1/15/2014 4:58 AM
I'll repeat the other thing that annoys me:  Change the practice minutes mask for the SIM so it doesn't still put zero minutes into LP, since LP DOES matter for guards.

1/15/2014 9:04 AM
Okay another idea, this should be simple to institute and doesn't affect the game at all, which probably makes it not worth while.

Under the tab for school records, I'd like to be able to see how my teams rank in the world since I took over the team. Could be a drop down menu with options like; during my tenure, last ten seasons, last twenty seasons....... I suppose this is actually an add on to Colonels (?) suggestion
1/15/2014 10:25 AM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 1/15/2014 9:04:00 AM (view original):
I'll repeat the other thing that annoys me:  Change the practice minutes mask for the SIM so it doesn't still put zero minutes into LP, since LP DOES matter for guards.

Agree..it would also be nice to see sim's with students whose GPAs are something other than 2.0-2.2. Taking over a multi-year simmed program is difficult enough in some cases without having the GPA's at borderline ineligible and gives first-time coaches very little margin for error in their first-ever practice plans if they want to keep their players eligible for second semester.
1/15/2014 4:11 PM

I don't know if it is actually the case that the sim practices things like LP in guards at 0 minutes. Generally, I know when somebody takes over a team that those type of minutes are initially set to zero, but it's not very often (at least in my humble opinion) that a sim let's a player regress in any category, though the sims could do a much more efficient job at developing players...which is what I think you're getting at - but correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth.
1/16/2014 8:14 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 1/16/2014 8:14:00 PM (view original):

I don't know if it is actually the case that the sim practices things like LP in guards at 0 minutes. Generally, I know when somebody takes over a team that those type of minutes are initially set to zero, but it's not very often (at least in my humble opinion) that a sim let's a player regress in any category, though the sims could do a much more efficient job at developing players...which is what I think you're getting at - but correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth.
Well, I quite often find guards that are red everywhere else but blue as a bluejay in LP, with the practice minutes set to zero there.
1/16/2014 8:27 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
I'm down to clown...if you`re down??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.