Rationale for D1 School to go after D3 JUCO? Topic

I've dabbled in Division 1, but have mainly stayed in the D3 ranks.  There was a recruit I was interested in that was D3 caliber, but a Division 1 school has offered them a scholarship.

Can anyone explain why a D1 school would want a guy from the D3 level?  My guess is that it fills space and isn't thought of as much more as a body to fill roster, but aren't there plenty of available guys at the D1 level?
1/9/2014 11:46 AM
I'd be curious to see what the recruit looks like.
1/9/2014 11:58 AM
If it was a senior JUCO player it was probably a cash-saving move. Filling the last slot with a scholarship body, even ifyou know he won't sniff the court, saves 25 percent of your leftover cash. If you're trying to rebalance classes or there's simply nobody left that you like going after, it's a quick and easy way to conserve that cash for the following season.

If it was a junior or soph JUCO, then the potentials must have been good or something, and the JUCO may have showed on the D2 list at one point when it first caught the player's attention...I don't know. That's a harder scenario to rationalize.
1/9/2014 12:12 PM
Rednu has your answer.  I'd keep an eye on him though because his AD likely won't allow him to sign a DIII player.  You might be able to scoop him up after signings.
1/9/2014 12:20 PM
Thanks..I'll hang tight with him.  There's no doubt he's a good player, but he is a junior. 
1/9/2014 12:34 PM
Because that guy is a borderline d1 player.   If the right categories are blue, he's signed him self a solid role player for probably around 1k.
1/9/2014 12:54 PM
At Wisconsin I signed a guy with a phone call and a scholly.  Only reason I did that is because he's a junior, he was cheap and I have no seniors so if I get no EEs, then I'll get 100% rollover the following season.  
1/10/2014 5:16 PM
Rationale for D1 School to go after D3 JUCO? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.