Recruit won't take any visits as he is going to a higher profile program and I am a backup option. Only school he is considering has the same prestige as I do. Makes no sense to me. Anyone have this situation before? If I keep spending money on scouting trips and such any chance he comes around and let's me in his house or comes on a campus visit?
1/14/2014 6:16 PM
Maybe the other school has already " pulled him down". You'll have to pull him down to have a shot, unless the school backs off of him and he drops to you, which is unlikely.
1/14/2014 9:09 PM
Keep in mind there are other factors. The other school could be a high B+ (or whatever prestige fits this situation) while you are a low B+. I believe distance is also a factor in who a player will talk to.

And sometimes players just talk to some schools and not others. I'm sure it happened a lot, but I remember one specific time when a player was a backup option to me but told a conference mate with a higher prestige to go to hell. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw. There is a lot of variance. I just recruited a guy who I thought was a borderline DI player (for my DII team) and it took 27 scouting trips to get him to consider me and he still rejected my last home visit.

Also, battles become very expensive when you have to pull down a guy who is already considering another school. Not impossible, but you may want to look for similar recruits
1/15/2014 10:15 AM
Also keep in mind that the only types of effort that will work to pull a recruit down is effort that he can't refuse.  Scouting trips are your best option and sending letters can help get the job done.  Visits won't get you anything until the recruit has dropped or you've pulled him down.

Must be another username, eh?  I see you have approximately one million years of D1 experience.

1/15/2014 11:20 AM
Kept up with scouting trips and finally at end of day 2 I got a favorable reply to my earlier scholarship offer. Took a home visit, next morning took a campus visit, but rejected a home visit. Decided what the heck and went all in. Signed him for the highest rated recruit I've ever gotten at Cal.

1/17/2014 10:35 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.