Feedback requested on roster construction Topic

I am currently finishing up my second season in my first BCS job. I'm at Villanova, in a mostly-human coached Big East in the Smith World. When I took over, Villanova had been sim-coached for 7 seasons, and the roster was awful--far worse than the roster at Campbell, the low-major school I left behind. To this point, here is the roster I've constructed.

http://whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=5493

I have 3 schollies to play with this recruiting cycle. Thus far, my primary focus has been on improving the athleticism and defense of the roster. My main question is, what's my best strategy for using the 3 schollies this cycle? I don't have much perimeter shooting at all, but at a C- prestige, it's VERY difficult to find a player who's good in PER, while being at least PASSABLE athletically and defensive-wise. The team has improved year-over-year in both my seasons thus far, but I'm just really unsure of how to attack this recruiting cycle.
1/18/2014 12:39 PM
I really wouldn't do too much differently in recruiting than what you've been doing.  Focusing on ATH and DEF is a sound approach and should help you climb the prestige ladder over time.  Schedule for 10 wins in NC play (doesn't mean to go against all SIMs, though) over the next few seasons until you build better quality and depth.  I'd actually focus on getting another 80+ REB kind of guy.  You will only have 2 next season.  Finding a nice shooter would be nice, but for now you can't ask for everything, so ATH/REB/DEF could/should be your calling card imo.  And if you are only able to fill 2 of the 3 slots with kids that fit your philosophy and don't "settle" for a kid beneath your standards, you'll be OK.  Your team has fine stamina and slowdown is a big equalizer.  Lastly, the Philly/NYC region is always loaded with kids, so it's not like you're out West where things can be hit or miss.  You have hundreds of kids within 200 miles of you, so just don't settle.
1/18/2014 1:50 PM
Thanks, Jdno! I had actually been considering only targeting two guys this time, given the fact that doing so gives me 50% more money for each of the two slots than I'd have been able to spend if I tried to fill all three. I have a feeling it's going to be a tough slog even getting to .500 in the Big East, so I'm hoping I don't get fired before my rebuilding plan has a chance to really work.
1/19/2014 9:31 AM
I doubt that'll happen.  From what I've observed, you have like 6 seasons to make the NT before you get in jeopardy or are fired.  And if you make the PIT in any of those 6 seasons then I think you buy yourself even more time.  Given the kind of players you have already, I'm sure you'll turn the corner successfully before that happens.  And yes, that's another good thing about just going for 2 players with 3 openings.
1/19/2014 2:25 PM
I guess I compare my roster to the roster of my competitors in the Big East, and it doesn't seem all that impressive. But it IS a lot better than when I first got to Nova, so that's SOMETHING.
1/20/2014 2:13 AM
Understandable.  Rebuilds always take a few seasons to get traction and there always seems to be such a gap between you and your conference mates..  Schedule smart, recruit the way you're doing, and each climb in prestige should mean you set your recruiting thresholds a little higher.  Climb the ladder steadily.  You have a good baseline prestige team, so that's also working in your favor.
1/20/2014 9:17 AM
True. I think I'll probably start being a bit more patient in recruiting as well. Maybe save one spot until after signings begin, and the big boys who have loaded up with 6 guys "considering" them for only 3 or 4 spots cut 2 or 3 really solid recruits loose. Anyways, I really appreciate your feedback, and good luck to you in your upcoming seasons.
1/20/2014 6:35 PM
Feedback requested on roster construction Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.