Need 1 for 1958 Progressive-filled ! Topic

We need one owner for The Post War Progressive League, which started in 1946 and will soon be entering it's 13th season, 1958.

The available is the Boston Red Sox. With 14 games remaining in the 1957 season, the team is 27-121. There is a 4 team WEIGHTED lottery for the first 4 positions in the 1958 draft. League rules have a minimum 40 wins requirement to participate in the lottery, BUT THIS REQUIREMENT IS WAIVED FOR A NEW OWNER, so the team will have a 40% chance at the #1 pick in the 1958 lottery.

The team will be a significant rebuilding effort for reasons I will elaborate on below. Consequently I will seek league approval towaive the minimum wins requirement for participation in the 1959 and 1960 draft lotteries as well

1/23/2014 9:35 AM (edited)
The team had 8 players (including many pitchers) retire after the 1957 seaso. The team's available roster for 1958 has 15 active players and 4 IR players.

Active Players
C   Gus Triandos
1B Preston Ward
1B Norm Zauchin
2B Johnny Temple
2B Solly Hemus
2B Herb Plews
3B Randy Jackson
SS Tony Kubek
OF Wally Post
OF Bill Virdon
OF Lee Walls
P   Murry Dickson
P   Don Larsen
P   Danny McDevitt
P   Vinegar Bend Mizell

IR
1B Bill White
1B Joe Altobelli
P   Rip Coleman
P   Mike Garcia

There are 2 or 3 of the above players who should probably be cut (including Altobelli who is on IR) so the team will need 10-12 draft picks.

1/23/2014 9:51 AM (edited)
The league has been very stable as this is the first opening in 3 seasons.

The current owner has not posted keepers for the team and has not responded to site mails. He has owned the team for 3 seasons but unfortunately his drafting style was all short term so there were too many retirements after the 1957 season. 

A new owner will need to be able to have the patience to build for the long term as the prospects for the next couple of seasons are not bright.  However, you will be joining a stable league with an excellent group of owners. 

I expect I will be able to get league approval to waive the 40 win minimum for participation in the 1959 and 1960 draft lotteries in addition to the 1958 draft lottery, which is automatically waived for a new owner.
1/23/2014 9:57 AM
I will give interested owners immediate access to the league's private forum. All keepers have been posted except for the Red Sox. The season will be over on Saturday, 1/25 but I am on a cruise until 2/1 so the available player list and draft schedule will not be prepared until shortly after I return.

I will try to provide information on the 1958 actual statistics for the team's roster in the next few days if possible, but I cannot predict my availabiiity of internet access on the ship.
1/23/2014 10:05 AM (edited)
The team has been taken
1/23/2014 5:24 PM
Id be interested if any other teams become available
2/19/2014 6:07 PM
Need 1 for 1958 Progressive-filled ! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.