LIVE Update 1/23/2014 Topic

All,

A couple updates regarding LIVE.

JAVA Update
Java recently released an update with tighter security settings. To continue to play LIVE with the latest Java installed, please follow these steps:
1)  Open Control Panel
2)  Open Java Settings (listed as "Java")
3)  Click the "Security" tab along the top
4)  Click "Edit Site List" button
5)  type in "http://www.whatifsports.com" and click "Add" button
6)  type in "http://live.whatifsports.com" and click "Add" button
7)  click OK button
8) click OK button
9) restart your web browser

These steps white list the LIVE site to you can maintain high security settings within Java but still play LIVE.

LIVE Stability
LIVE is built in Java and is a very old code base. We cannot modify the code for a variety of reasons. With each Java update, the stability of LIVE has decreased.

We have been auto restarting it each morning at 5:00a ET but that has proven to not be good enough as we see reports of it being down at various times times throughout the week. This is a major headache for all of you that enjoy the game.

Today, we introduce another layer to help improve stability. It's not perfect, but it's better than what we had previously and is open-ended should we need to improve further.

Every hour, we have a process set to check if a game has started or concluded within the last 30 minutes. If nothing has started or concluded within the last 30 minutes, the LIVE service will shutdown and restart itself.

This should improve "up" time. The only downside to this is if we have users camped out to play in the LIVE rooms but not playing any games, you may be booted during the shutdown service.

If we find the hour interval to be too restrictive, we can adjust further. If it's not quick enough, we can open up some additional options (such as power users auto-restarting the service).

Future of LIVE
As we rebuild SimLeague Baseball, a new and dramatically improved LIVE experience will follow.  Timing is still TBD, but it's part of our blue sky planning.  Technology has changed so much since it was built, we are very excited to see what LIVE 2.0 will look like.

1/23/2014 2:43 PM
not many browsers even support java anymore.  How about an Ipad app? 
1/23/2014 3:28 PM
I have heard this before.

Your communication sucks. You don't respond to tickets.

The logic is nuts. There are plenty of issues that I'm sure people have told you about. Some are basic baseball rules that don't apply to your logic.

I am trying to stay as a customer as I have liked the product over the past years despite the flaws. You are making it harder and harder for me to justify paying my hard-earned money to play on the site.

But what do I know? I'm only a customer... sigh...
1/23/2014 3:53 PM
Ditto
1/23/2014 6:07 PM
I hate to sound negative but this weak response after all the problems just reminds of W.C. Fields "go away kid, you bother me". The simple truth is they don't care about live players. We are a minority here, plain and simple. What else do you expect out of Fox? Whatever you expect you will get less
1/23/2014 7:36 PM
habsfan1 and bulantz had it right.
1/23/2014 7:37 PM
Which will come first: a new and improved LIVE experience, or that supertrain we keep hearing will run between Scranton, Pa. and New York?
1/24/2014 2:19 PM
...or a new stadium for the A's, maybe?
1/30/2014 7:41 PM
DOWN AGAIN.... fix this already.....
2/5/2014 6:11 AM
Just got a new computer and it says add ons not compatiable..any suggestions? It is a Tosiba newest version of windows
2/7/2014 10:03 PM
wife figured it out
2/8/2014 5:54 AM
I added both the addresses in 5 and 6.  Does it need the quotes around them as it is still saying security settings are blocking me.  Not a techie here but I can follow directions.  I run Chrome browser.
2/9/2014 8:04 PM
OK does anyone from admin check this out. Numerous break downs and no word or explanation of what's going on. The site is being ruined by incompetence and lack of response to the problems.
2/17/2014 8:14 PM
Posted by tzentmeyer on 1/23/2014 2:43:00 PM (view original):
All,

A couple updates regarding LIVE.

JAVA Update
Java recently released an update with tighter security settings. To continue to play LIVE with the latest Java installed, please follow these steps:
1)  Open Control Panel
2)  Open Java Settings (listed as "Java")
3)  Click the "Security" tab along the top
4)  Click "Edit Site List" button
5)  type in "http://www.whatifsports.com" and click "Add" button
6)  type in "http://live.whatifsports.com" and click "Add" button
7)  click OK button
8) click OK button
9) restart your web browser

These steps white list the LIVE site to you can maintain high security settings within Java but still play LIVE.

LIVE Stability
LIVE is built in Java and is a very old code base. We cannot modify the code for a variety of reasons. With each Java update, the stability of LIVE has decreased.

We have been auto restarting it each morning at 5:00a ET but that has proven to not be good enough as we see reports of it being down at various times times throughout the week. This is a major headache for all of you that enjoy the game.

Today, we introduce another layer to help improve stability. It's not perfect, but it's better than what we had previously and is open-ended should we need to improve further.

Every hour, we have a process set to check if a game has started or concluded within the last 30 minutes. If nothing has started or concluded within the last 30 minutes, the LIVE service will shutdown and restart itself.

This should improve "up" time. The only downside to this is if we have users camped out to play in the LIVE rooms but not playing any games, you may be booted during the shutdown service.

If we find the hour interval to be too restrictive, we can adjust further. If it's not quick enough, we can open up some additional options (such as power users auto-restarting the service).

Future of LIVE
As we rebuild SimLeague Baseball, a new and dramatically improved LIVE experience will follow.  Timing is still TBD, but it's part of our blue sky planning.  Technology has changed so much since it was built, we are very excited to see what LIVE 2.0 will look like.

complete bull
2/17/2014 8:14 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
1234 Next ▸
LIVE Update 1/23/2014 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.