Why does everyone always defend Peyton Manning? Topic

Posted by zsap on 2/3/2014 10:58:00 PM (view original):
0. How many did the Broncos get with him?
How many rings would the Broncos have with Tim Tebow?
2/3/2014 11:03 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/3/2014 11:02:00 PM (view original):
Since the 2013 players were just released, 2013 Peyton Manning is the most expensive QB in the database.

16 100 100 81 77 8 1 659 450 68.3 5477 55 10 32 -31 $10,367,562
They need a choke factor for the playoffs
2/3/2014 11:05 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/3/2014 11:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zsap on 2/3/2014 10:58:00 PM (view original):
0. How many did the Broncos get with him?
How many rings would the Broncos have with Tim Tebow?
0 still. They'd still be able to beat a 3rd string team of Pats and lose to the Seahawks. Maybe they would've beat the Ravens :)
2/3/2014 11:07 PM
Defense wins championships.
You can't win the game by yourself.
It's a team game.
Quarterbacks get too much of the credit when you win, and too much of the blame when you lose. 

All cliches, all true.

Peyton Manning doesn't get blame. Can someone please answer my original question. Why do YOU defend him? MikeT23 is the only one who has given me an appropriate response to the question asked.
2/3/2014 11:15 PM
Peyton Manning DOESN'T get blame.  You must listen to a very interesting selection of the voices in the sports world.
2/3/2014 11:37 PM
A better question:

Why do so many people go out of their way to blame every thing that happens on Peyton Manning?

did you say the defensive errors didn't hurt until the 2nd half? Seattle scored EVERY TIME they had the ball (minus the clock kills at the end of each half)

also side note...my wife who knows nothing of Peyton Manning or anyone else in a football uniform asked why 'number 27 just stood there and let the other team catch the ball'?

at any rate, nobody could make the claim that Manning had anything but a poor showing Sunday, but he was not the worst thing about Denver....if that comes across as 'defending' him to you , then obviously you are only looking dump on him in the first place and anything short of saying it was all his fault equals calling for him to have won MVP of the game
2/3/2014 11:46 PM
Sorry I didn't actually answer the question. I defend him because the mistake is made in everyone wanting to believe in a quarterback who can win a championship by himself. Is he good? Yes. Is he the best? Maybe or maybe not, but people shouldn't care when it's not really crucial to winning a championship. A good QB is just a piece of the puzzle. Sure, maybe he plays into it with all the ads and the hero worship and the records... and sure he gets paid really well for it. But I'm not going to downgrade the guy as a player based on audience expectations of him.

I will say this, dude's arm is looking shot. If anything, I respect him more for achieving this season with an arm that couldn't get him drafted now. But the game at QB is played with the brain. The brain's job is to take what the defense gives you. And that defense wasn't giving anything last night.

2/4/2014 12:49 AM (edited)
Posted by zsap on 2/3/2014 10:46:00 PM (view original):
A quote from Jim Irsay, Colts Owner:

"We've changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these," Irsay says, flicking up his right hand to show his Super Bowl XLI championship ring.

"(Tom) Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these," Irsay adds. "Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

"You make the playoffs 11 times, and you're out in the first round seven out of 11 times. You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin (Harrison) and Reggie (Wayne). Mostly, you love this."

Then Irsay flicks up his right hand again.

I love that you totally misinterpret what Irsay was saying.  Classic stuff.
2/4/2014 6:20 AM
Posted by zsap on 2/3/2014 10:35:00 PM (view original):
You're making excuses for him. Why do you feel that need to defend him is what I'm asking?  It started off with an error on him and his center, not just on the center and caused a safety. How is that not HIS fault? It's called the center-quarterback EXCHANGE. Going 3 and out on their 2nd drive didn't help. He screwed himself over and early, the game was over in the 2nd quarter, and had a chance to shut the gap early, which he didn't. The Denver defensive errors didn't add insult to injury until later and he had time to make it up. All I'm asking is why are you making those excuses?

Even last year in the divisional round against Baltimore, the Broncos were lucky to be that close. They had 2 special teams TDs if I recall!!!

MikeT23, I do think he's one of the greatest REGULAR-SEASON qbs of all time. Not even top 5 in Post-Season is my point and isn't that what it's all about?
I'm not making excuses for him.  I also don't NEED to defend him.  All I'm saying is that when a team loses 43-8, it's not entirely one person's fault.

You seem to want to put the blame ENTIRELY on Peyton Manning's shoulders.  There is more than enough blame to go around.  Manning played very poorly.  Everybody sees that and acknowledges that.  Everybody (but you, apparently) also sees how unprepared Denver was to handle Seattle.  Their game plan was horrible.  Their in-game management was horrible.  Their O-line was unable to handle Seattle's D-line.  Manning doesn't work well when he can't sit in the pocket and wait for the play to develop.  Everybody knows and understands that about him.  But Peyton Manning is not responsible for the inability of his O-line to protect him.  They need to be held accountable for that.
2/4/2014 7:29 AM
Does he really choke in the playoffs?   If you accept that defenses are better in the playoffs, the numbers say "Not so much".

Regular season:  65.5%, 270 yards, 2.05 TD, .91 INT
Playoffs:  64.3, 286, 1.61, 1.04

Over a 16 game schedule:  4320/4576, 33/26, 15/17

Are his stats worse?  Yes.  Are they "choker" worse?  I don't think so.

2/4/2014 8:42 AM
Tom Brady is considered a winner.

Reg/Playoffs:   63.4/62.1, 255/247, 1.86/1.65, .70/.85

Maybe he's a choker too?
2/4/2014 8:54 AM
Only stat that matters is the W
Brady: 18-8 in the postseason
Manning: 11-12 in the postseason

The playoffs are where you prove how elite you are
2/4/2014 9:26 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/4/2014 8:54:00 AM (view original):
Tom Brady is considered a winner.

Reg/Playoffs:   63.4/62.1, 255/247, 1.86/1.65, .70/.85

Maybe he's a choker too?

It doesn't matter the sport, when we are fans, we tend blame the best guys on "our" team for losses, because it's hard to admit that the other guys had a part in it too, or that they might actually be better.  Football, out of the all the sports, is perhaps the one that relies the most on everyone doing their particular job in order to succeed.  If Seattle's defense doesn't pressure Manning and he gets 4 seconds to throw instead of 2.5 or less, then suddenly Manning is the hero to the Broncos, and Seattle's secondary becomes the goat for the Seahawks.  Denver fans would tell us how great Manning was.  Seattle fans would tell us how bad of a game the vaunted LOB had, when in reality it would have been the OL for Denver and the DL for Seattle.

If Manning played for Seattle, would they have won?  Would he have had the kind of game he had?  (Recall the amount of pressure Wilson had to deal with - not much).

Peyton Manning is one of the very best QBs ever.  Denver didn't lose because he had a bad game.  They lost because the entire offense, including Manning, could not deal with the defense they played against.  I don't think you'd see 43-8 every time, but there definitely was one team out there that played faster and better.  They dictated the outcome.

2/4/2014 9:29 AM
Posted by zsap on 2/4/2014 9:26:00 AM (view original):

This may come as shocking news to you, but football is a TEAM game.

One person alone does not win or lose games.

2/4/2014 9:37 AM
Posted by zsap on 2/4/2014 9:26:00 AM (view original):

I see.   Brady is like Superman.   He snaps the ball to himself, blocks a few defenders while scanning his receivers, all named Tom Brady, before completing a pass to himself.    Then, after he kicks the extra point, he takes the field to play some defense. 

Trent Dilfer is 5-1 in the post-season.  One of the best ever? 
2/4/2014 9:49 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Why does everyone always defend Peyton Manning? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.