What would you do? Topic

I am currently in Dobie World and have finished my 3rd season. My first 2 seasons I went 4-9 both seasons and this 3rd year I went 9-4. I figured a lot of my success this 3rd season was due to my recruiting the first 2 seasons.

My question is this: Would you stay and coach this team for another year or two and reap possibly even greater rewards due to having your own recruited players or would you move up to a Division II team?
2/5/2014 7:18 PM
I'm not leaving D3 until I have mastered it. Meaning until I win an NC. Just my take
2/5/2014 7:45 PM
IMO I want to move up as soon as I get an opportunity to get a good team. Don't move up to DII until you can take over a team that has had good records (at least 30 wins total) over the past 3 seasons. You want to have good vision in your first season of recruiting.
2/5/2014 8:09 PM
that's good advice zsap. Although there isn't much difference in coaching and recruiting from d2 to d3 (IMO), the level of coach you face at d2 is higher. After playing this game for about one year, I run teams at both divisions and have better results at d3.
As far as "mastering" this game, I think the only coach that will claim that is jfootball88.

No offense, jfootball
2/5/2014 8:15 PM
It also depends on what your goals are in this game.  If your goal is to get to D1, then jump to good programs as soon as you can and move up the ranks to D1.  If your goal is to win by rebuilding a terrible team into a powerhouse at each level, then do that.  For many that have been here a while they pick their favorite level to play in and find a great conference with plenty of good humans to share it with (like A10 D1AA in Yost) and just stay there.
2/5/2014 8:29 PM
+1
2/5/2014 9:17 PM
Personally, I'd stay.  Get some more success, then if you wanna go up, you'll have way better choices.
2/5/2014 9:23 PM
I still have my very 1st team that i coached on WIS.  (Warner - D3 - illinois).  I've held onto it just b/c it was my 1st team.  I've picked up 2nd (and 3rd and 4th) team and moved those up the ranks all the way to DIA and have since dropped down to 2 teams b/c i'm bored with the game and don't like the new engine much (my other team is my alma mater - Marshall).  It's really about personal preference.   Use it as a learning experience (play it until your initial recruiting class graduates at the very least) and go from there...

There are certain milestones (wins) that is needed for each level so if you stay for 4-5 years you will be well on your way to moving up a level each season (you can move to D2 after 1 season, jumping from d2 to d1aa takes 45+ wins if i remember correctly, and then going to d1a takes 85+ but that gets you bottom rung programs).  Those numbers may be a bit off but that's a general baseline.  And those numbers can be lower if you have postseason success..

2/5/2014 10:29 PM (edited)
Personally, I like d2 immensely more than d3. Mostly because you get twice as much money to spend on recruits, so you can afford to do some battling on the players you want. And I don't think the game play is any more difficult.
2/5/2014 11:46 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 2/5/2014 11:46:00 PM (view original):
Personally, I like d2 immensely more than d3. Mostly because you get twice as much money to spend on recruits, so you can afford to do some battling on the players you want. And I don't think the game play is any more difficult.
no argument from me on that statement. BJ
2/6/2014 12:09 AM
i think its important in learning program building to get thru  at least 1  maybe 2 generations of seniors (4-8 seasons) at a school to start to really understand roster building and formation IQ development ....establishing a brand, a program that is sustainable when starting out...then try it again at next level & so on - then you really have a good grip by the time you hit the bigs & can get fired
2/6/2014 12:24 AM
Yost / Cortland was my first ever team i didnt know jack until year 5 (when i discovered the upside thing in scouting reports thanks to the forums) and from there it took 4 seasons to be #2 & another 4 to be NC...helped to have that advice & a 20-25 man class too that started early & often & grew by leaps & bounds by the time they were seniors ;-)
2/6/2014 12:29 AM
Recruiting is the biggest difference in DIA.  It doesn;t matter how much of the game you mastr in d3 if you don't learn how to recruit in DI.  Believe me I learned this the hard way.  I am just now getting competetive in dI.  I was fired from VA tech after 6 seasons. Now in my 3rd season at Ball St I am just now learning how things are done in the big leagues.

The biggest difference in D3 you have to be crafty recruiting nationally while using vision to your advantage.

In dI you have be crafty at recruiting the absolute best locally and sometimes regionally but rarely nationally.  The talent differental between teams is much smaller so you have to gameplan very carefully.  Scheduling is very important.  Its just all around more challenging and fun.  
2/6/2014 7:27 AM
Posted by jmcgarry on 2/6/2014 12:29:00 AM (view original):
Yost / Cortland was my first ever team i didnt know jack until year 5 (when i discovered the upside thing in scouting reports thanks to the forums) and from there it took 4 seasons to be #2 & another 4 to be NC...helped to have that advice & a 20-25 man class too that started early & often & grew by leaps & bounds by the time they were seniors ;-)
What are scouting reports?  Serious question.
2/6/2014 11:58 AM
When you send out a AC or HC scout trip, the report that is sent back to your inbox is a scouting report. It will tell you the recruit's growth potential.
2/6/2014 12:14 PM
12 Next ▸
What would you do? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.