Can we increase the number of players that we can redshirt to 8.
2/7/2014 7:02 AM
Oh man, just getting to RS and unlimited number of players would be HUGE
2/7/2014 8:51 AM
Increasing the number of redshirts would be great!  There is no limit in real college football (outside of divisions anyway).  The only counterargument I have heard is that the limit has always been around, so it isn't a problem, and you should learn to work around it.  Not much of a counter argument really. 
2/7/2014 9:37 AM
Why would that help? If everyone could do it, there is no advantage except now everyone would have 8 better players. Low vision or non-elite 1A coaches would be red-shirting average players and high vision or elite 1A coaches would be red-shirting great players. The player ratings would spread further apart and make lower vision coaches at more of a disadvantage.

I would say that limiting players for red-shirting to three or any number is also unrealistic. But there shouild be a trade off. What about you can red-shirt as many as you want, but you have to have an extra amount of recruiting money left to buy that extra year of scholarships for that red-shirted player. So at DIII, you can red-shirt as many as you can afford after recruiting for the extra $3K for DIII, ($6K at DII, $10K at D1AA, $15K at D1A).
2/7/2014 12:58 PM
Katz, why wouldn't you just have a scaling chance that the player leaves after their RS JR. year instead?  Do this with the increasing chance that the player will leave early in the higher divisions.  i.e. in D3, most players will stay for 5 seasons, but in D1, the chances would drop to 60% chance to stay for their RS SR year or something like that.  Could even tie it into the fictional draft that they have in WIS.  If a player is expected to be drafted, they have a higher chance to leave early.
2/7/2014 1:41 PM
it isn't entirely about if it would help more or not, it is more about giving coaches more control over their rosters.  I think some coaches would be hurt using too many redshirts.  You mention the trade off Katz, but I think the trade off is inherent in this case.  Redshirt more players and you have less to use immediately hurting your chances of winning now.  Redshirt less players, and you have more chance to win now, but less later.  This balance would have to be determined by each coach.  With stamina being reintroduced, each and every player is that much more valuable now.   

I can't speak with any certainty about the spread of player ratings, or how it would impact different divisions.  I do know that some seasons I would like to redshirt more than three players though.  You can't redshirt everyone you recruit every season.  That would presumably lead to losses which would lower vision, and allow teams with less talent to win now which would raise their vision.  I think most coaches would use the redshirts based on their rosters and recruiting classes, not just as automatic.  The automatic 3 redshirts we see now are at least in part the result of the limitation currently imposed.     

2/7/2014 3:01 PM
Why not give us 3 more schollies. It would help best with the OL. I could put my 5 best run blockers on run plays and then my 5 best pass blockers on pass plays. You could do the same with the DL.
2/7/2014 6:38 PM
Shouldn't the number of schollies increase as you go up in divisions? I haven't made it up to DIA yet, but 50 schollies in DIII, DII, and DIAA doesn't seem right.
2/7/2014 6:45 PM
I say add injuries, keep roster size at 50 but allow as many redshirts as a coach wants. Heres the risk i say make redshirts final and not revervisable. If you redshirt two of your three QBs for example and have your QB go down then youve got to play another position. This would limit redshirts without putting rule on it.
2/7/2014 6:48 PM
It's Definitely about the control of the roster right now the three mean nothing you can't completely structure any kind of a plan its a stop gap.  However if you had five you could do things like structure a strong groups of freshmen. 
2/7/2014 6:52 PM
I think five is good number.
2/7/2014 6:57 PM
Why not do both . Have two extra schollies and two redshirts.
2/7/2014 7:01 PM
The change in redshirts is needed bad. I thinks it would allow a bigger difference in human teams strengths. Which would make the game more interesting instead of having cookie cutter teams. The way it is now with most redshirting QBs. The RS end up being simiar among human teams. Allowing a couple extra each year gives coaches the ability for example to focus say CBs each year while another coach may buildup their WRs. Thats more intriguing than having all the teams being similiar builds.
2/8/2014 5:38 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.