Minimizing Costs of Minor Leagues Topic

I'm not sure how to do it, but apparently its possible to stock your minor league teams with less than 20 players at some point during the season. The owner below only has 13 players (5 pitchers and 8 position players on his HiA team). If there are no World Rules against it, it looks like an effective strategy to free up some cash to budget elsewhere.

I sent in a ticket regarding his AAA team after I played them and noticed only 7 position players on his AA and AAA teams (but enough pitchers to be over the 20 minimum). I thought you might appreciate the response by customer support (and the 5 days to respond).

2/14/2014 2:07 AM pb15
The Atlanta team is "fielding" a AAA team that 0-136 with 8 games left to play. they are losing games consistently by 25 runs with not enough position players and a totally fatigued pitching staff. Is this a n acceptable strategy to minimize the cost of running your minors so that you have more money to allocate elsewhere?
2/19/2014 7:55 AM Customer Support
Hello,

Please take this issue up with the commissioner, alogman1.

Thank you.
2/19/2014 10:58 AM

You can start a season with less than 20 players on a minor league roster if that particular level lost a number of players due to retirement at rollover.  I don't believe you're allowed to make any moves that will further reduce your roster size after rollover, but if you make no attempt to fill it, it will stay at sub-20.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that this was an intentional strategy to reduce minor league payroll.  More likely, it's somebody who doesn't give a **** about their minors.

WIS's response was appropriate, i.e. it's not their problem to address/fix.

2/19/2014 12:27 PM
I think it's fair to not necessarily assume that it's intentional to reduce minor league payroll. However, from the admittedly isolated example I've seen of the single world I play in, those teams which don't give a **** about their minors correlate fairly closely to those teams which manipulate cash via budget transfer the most, for the purpose of going hardest after IFAs. Point being, not giving a **** about your minors is not necessarily just to save time worrying about teams which "don't count."

2/19/2014 12:55 PM
Yep.  It about what's the intent, and what's the consequence.

"I don't give a crap about my minors, and incidentally end up with more money to spend elsewhere" versus "I'd prefer to spend my money elsewhere and allow my minors to be neglected".
2/19/2014 1:30 PM
If his games don't sim, WifS will intervene.   Otherwise, it's a world problem.   And while I'm not a "FIX YOUR MINORS" kind of commish, owners who neglect their minors in that manner generally leave a goddam mess when they go. 
2/19/2014 2:46 PM
Minimizing Costs of Minor Leagues Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.