D3, Season 72 Topic

Is RPI and SOS broken for everybody else? I thought that stuff was released after game #7 or 8...
3/18/2014 4:12 PM
They'll be out tomorrow.  There's a simmed D2 team that has had two byes so they've only played six games, everyone has to play seven before RPI/SOS number are calculated.
3/18/2014 4:30 PM
Interesting. I don't think I've seen that happen in any of the past 5-7 seasons since I've picked up HD again. Just another day for my SOS to improve and RPI to keep plummeting!
3/18/2014 4:34 PM
I'm in 4 worlds and I would say the late RPI happens rarely.  Not really really rare, but a little bit rare.  I know my precision is appreciated.
3/18/2014 5:19 PM
Provides some perspective, I guess. Plus taking a look at the J&W non-conference schedule made mine not look so bad after all!
3/18/2014 5:23 PM
Piedmont is back atop the rankings after staying undefeated last night.  That's nice and all, but you know what's really impressive?  Having three losses already and still being ranked, that's where the real skill is.  I'll be signing autographs later, please form an orderly line.

Last Night
#6 Dickinson 87   #3 Greensboro 75
After being tied at 39 at halftime Greensboro came out of the break strong and was able to hold a small lead for the first several minutes of the second half.  But then visiting Dickinson decided to score a lot of points and went on a 16 to 4 run to effectively take control of the game.  They were able to keep the lead around double figures the rest of the way and finished off an impressive early season road win. Dickinson and mfnmyers were rewarded with a huge bump of zero places in the rankings with the win while Greensboro and tilldog fell two places after their first loss.

Also considered: #4 Wittenberg got a close road win over #18 Johnson and Wales 70-67, #12 Fitchburg St. used a buzzer-beating 3ptr to edge Palm Beach Atlantic 69-66, #7 Emerson powered past Penn St. Altoona in the second half to win 77-49, #22 Willamette held off previously ranked Rivier 64-61, Calvin upset #24 Millsaps 74-72, and #23 Wooster got the home win over Emory 60-49.

Sim blowout watch: SUNY Potsdamn wasn't impressive but they cut the spread in half while losing to #14 Oglethorpe 53-87.

GotN
#18 Johnson and Wales (6-2)(spasticity) at #1 Piedmont (8-0)(bunkerbuster)
We've had a streak of games involving the top couple teams playing other ranked teams, might as well keep it going.  The Spider Monkeys of J-Dub will look to bounce back from their second loss on the season by visiting the undefeated #1 ranked team in the country.  Hey, it worked for Dickinson last night.  spasticity has a close 3-1 lead in the series between these two but bunker's team is favored by 5 at home.

Also considered: #8 Whittier at #16 Christopher Newport, #6 Dickinson at Emory, Lynchburg at #9 Ursinus, Austin at #15 North Carolina Wesleyan, #17 Emory and Henry at Wentworth Tech, East Connecticut St. at #22 Willamette, and #23 Wooster at Eureka

Sim blowout watch: Two winless teams are facing massive spreads tonight.  Macalester is getting 66 points as they host #3 Greensboro while SUNY Potsdam is a big 71 point home dog against #12 Fitchburg St.
3/18/2014 5:29 PM
The long awaited matchup is finally here (drum roll please....) - Trinity versus Trinity! Get your tickets early!
3/19/2014 8:10 AM
That's pretty cool Bobmeyer, pretty sure that Trinity must play better in warmer weather, because I think Texas has the clear advantage over Connecticut :)

If anyone knows of any players they think might win MVP (and would sitemail me the player, the team and the conference), I would be willing to keep track of all of their games on a game to game basis, post them on the thread, and you can all judge for yourselves how they stack up against each other each game :) Would anyone be interested in this? I would love to contribute something to this awesome thread.

3/19/2014 3:14 PM
I think that's a great idea.  We could have a poll and vote on the D3 Rupp MVP.  I'm guessing it would usually not match the WIS NPOY.
3/19/2014 4:17 PM
No change at the top of the rankings but Johnson and Wales has joined the uber-exclusive "3 losses and ranked" club.  spasticity knows where the all the cool kids hang out.

Last Night
#25 Johnson and Wales 69   #1 Piedmont 87
Everything went according to plan leaving J-Dub with a 44-41 halftime lead and looking to be in position for a big upset on the road.  And then the floor fell out of the offense and they shot just 30% from the floor in the second half.  Piedmont took advantage and powered past the Spider Monkeys for the double digit victory to stay undefeated and atop the rankings.

Also considered: #7 Whittier got an impressive road win over #24 Christopher Newport 88-75, #6 Dickinson got past Emory 67-58, Lynchburg scored the road upset over #15 Ursinus 69-59, #14 North Carolina Wesleyan slipped past Austin 83-81, #16 Emory and Henry edged Wentworth Tech 68-64, #20 Willamette downed East Connecticut St 61-54, and #21 Wooster cruised past Eureka 88-65.

Sim blowout watch: Both sims kept their deficits in the 30's to 40's and covered easily.  Macalester fell to #5 Greensboro 65-107 and SUNY Potsdam were defeated by #13 Fitchburg St. 49-82.

GotN
#6 Dickinson (8-1)(mfnmyers) at #4 Wittenberg (9-0)(darnoc29099)
Dickinson continues their tour of undefeated top five schools with a trip to Wittenberg in a battle of our top two RPI holders.  This is also Dickinson's fourth game this season against a school starting with W.  mfnmyers will look for another W to go with the only previous game between these two and his team is favored by 1 point on the road.

ALSO:
Trinity (TX) (8-1)(bobmeyer) at Trinity (CT) (2-7)(Sim AI)
Play it safe on this one, put your money on Trinity.

Also considered: #11 Hendrix at Newbury, Stillman at #13 Fitchburg St, Penn St. Altoona at #14 North Carolina Wesleyan, #15 Ursinus at Medgar Evers, #16 Emory and Henry at Emory, Colorado at #17 Amherst, and #19 Calvin at Mary Washington

Sim blowout watch: I finally get to be in the blowout watch!  Grinnell is a 63 point home dog against everyone's favorite, #21 Wooster.
3/19/2014 4:23 PM
Posted by ezekialstarr on 3/19/2014 3:14:00 PM (view original):
That's pretty cool Bobmeyer, pretty sure that Trinity must play better in warmer weather, because I think Texas has the clear advantage over Connecticut :)

If anyone knows of any players they think might win MVP (and would sitemail me the player, the team and the conference), I would be willing to keep track of all of their games on a game to game basis, post them on the thread, and you can all judge for yourselves how they stack up against each other each game :) Would anyone be interested in this? I would love to contribute something to this awesome thread.

Here are five:

Name Team Conference
C. Stephens Emerson Great NE
J. Mikkelson Rivier Great NE
T. Andrews Susquehanna CC
J. Whyte Wabash N. Coast
R. Sohn Trinity (TX) University

and my submission for worst player is:
J. Sifuentes Massachusetts Liberal Arts Little E.

3/19/2014 9:04 PM
Posted by bullman17 on 3/19/2014 9:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ezekialstarr on 3/19/2014 3:14:00 PM (view original):

Here are five:

Name Team Conference
C. Stephens Emerson Great NE
J. Mikkelson Rivier Great NE
T. Andrews Susquehanna CC
J. Whyte Wabash N. Coast
R. Sohn Trinity (TX) University

and my submission for worst player is:
J. Sifuentes Massachusetts Liberal Arts Little E.

How about the returning D3 All-Americans from last season?  In addition to Susquehanna's Andrews (already put forth by bullman), here are the others:

D. Zipkin (Centenary, Skyline)
R. Cherry (Fitchburg St., Little E)
B. Lujan (Vassar, Empire 8)
M. Woll (Lynchburg, ODAC)

And while I'm at it, how about the returning honorable mention AAs as well:

R. Christianson (Calvin, Michigan)
J. Wallace (Allegheny, N. Coast)
A. McCaffrey (Emerson, Great NE)
J. Sutton (Vassar, Empire 8)
S. Jones (Hardin-Simmons, ASC)

3/20/2014 1:56 AM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjN_w9pbz2rydFp6SWZ3QnZOQjUzRHYxVmMyMmZVd1E&usp=sharing

Sorry you have to click on a link to see it. I don't know how to post it and keep it's clean structure, it doesn't paste well. Spasticity, I love your idea about voting each game for MVP.

This won't be a perfectly accurate representation of the players' performances as it doesn't take into consideration the quality of teams they faced or the percentages the other teams' players scored on them. As for minutes, I wonder how you all feel about this: Better stats in less minutes indicates a more efficient player, but ideally if you have an MVP type player, you will want him to play a lot and so higher minutes is a good thing in itself. What are your thoughts on the minutes as factored into game performances?
3/20/2014 4:48 AM
Posted by spasticity on 3/19/2014 4:17:00 PM (view original):
I think that's a great idea.  We could have a poll and vote on the D3 Rupp MVP.  I'm guessing it would usually not match the WIS NPOY.
I started a pre season coaches poll in the University and have been thinking of adding more interactive voting Rupp wide.

If anyone has any ideas as to what Rupp D3 could vote on, let me know and I will start the process of asking for votes later into the conference tourney area.

Coach of the Year?  Player of the Year?  Anything Else?
3/20/2014 11:52 AM
That sounds like a good idea.  I think it is important that we vote on who the worst player is as well.
3/20/2014 4:59 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...17 Next ▸
D3, Season 72 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.