D3 All American when all is said and done Topic

Is that a worthless comment or does it have value?
3/4/2014 2:33 PM
I think it just means he's a d3 recruit.
3/4/2014 2:35 PM
Just window dressing in the scouting report.
3/4/2014 3:00 PM
UW he's Michael Jordan Dude....you sign him its over for the conference....I think he will only stay a season or two...
3/4/2014 5:08 PM
Hey Joco......If I wanted any crap out of you I'd squeeze your head!
3/4/2014 5:17 PM
ZING!
3/4/2014 5:22 PM
I'm actually less than 100% certain this is just window dressing. 

I've noticed that it *seems* (disclaimer: no real tracking done and no statistical analysis) that those who have All-American messages or the could play at a higher level with a red shirt type messages seem to be a notch above those who get no such messages.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, and I don't base any decisions on it, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn it groups/identifies players by tiers.
3/4/2014 6:31 PM
I've recruited a couple of "D3 All Americans" to D2 squads. One turned into a solid 6th man, while the other was a 2-year starter and decent scorer. Both took redshirts with no problem as well.
3/4/2014 6:35 PM
zbrent, there is no way it has any significance.  Those messages never take potentials into affect it's all based on starting ratings and whether they are on DII or DIII lists.  I don't believe the system understands which players are gonna be good at all.  They base it on overall ratings, which means nothing.  It could be you got those messages and you were already going after the players that were gonna be very good.  Basically if you know the potentials, it doesn't matter if the scout tells you he's the worst player, you know what his minimums will be, and if he's better than expected, you get lucky.
3/4/2014 6:56 PM
Posted by dan2044 on 3/4/2014 6:56:00 PM (view original):
zbrent, there is no way it has any significance.  Those messages never take potentials into affect it's all based on starting ratings and whether they are on DII or DIII lists.  I don't believe the system understands which players are gonna be good at all.  They base it on overall ratings, which means nothing.  It could be you got those messages and you were already going after the players that were gonna be very good.  Basically if you know the potentials, it doesn't matter if the scout tells you he's the worst player, you know what his minimums will be, and if he's better than expected, you get lucky.
Have you tracked it to actually verify that it is all based on starting ratings?

My impression was actually the opposite, because I've gotten a couple for guys who weren't D1 by OVR, but that had better potential.

And, to be sure, I don't use it in my analysis. But i'm also not so quick to dismiss it out of hand.
3/4/2014 7:59 PM
Posted by uwrjl93 on 3/4/2014 5:17:00 PM (view original):
Hey Joco......If I wanted any crap out of you I'd squeeze your head!
T-rex's have short arms
3/4/2014 8:14 PM
Z - I agree. I tend to notice that message in the better players I'm recruiting. That said, I don't know if it has any real significance. I assume not.
3/4/2014 11:43 PM
At DIII when pulling down recruits you get that "has what it takes to be a DII all-american" and then it says something like probably could play DI with a redshirt season...I tend to like those recruits
3/5/2014 4:45 AM
I've found that the All American talk, is better than being told he would be a solid contributor or has decent upside. I haven't tracked it much though as who I could count in as they progress even though I keep my scouting report emails throughout a players entire 4 year run. Just for reference purposes. 
3/5/2014 8:41 AM
zbrent, I havent tracked it.  But Im assuming it's the same as how players are ranked overall and by position.  It's based on their way of seeing these players which has nothing to do with potential.  
3/5/2014 11:01 AM
12 Next ▸
D3 All American when all is said and done Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.